Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

What this thread is missing is how last weekend was New Good Not Bad Rachele

27 goals from a small forward playing in a Matthew Nicks coached team is an overachievement

We've got to stop these comparisons with the lowest common denominators in our squad as a guide to how Rash is tracking. All they do is highlight the folly of guys like Murphy are getting selected, not how well Josh Rachelle is or is not performing.

Any assessment on where he is at should be made based on what his ceiling is, what he's capable of, and what he's achieving in the context of the things that he can control at this stage of his career.

We've got to stop these comparisons with the lowest common denominators in our squad as a guide to how Rash is tracking. All they do is highlight the folly of guys like Murphy are getting selected, not how well Josh Rachelle is or is not performing.

Any assessment on where he is at should be made based on what his ceiling is, what he's capable of, and what he's achieving in the context of the things that he can control at this stage of his career.
Would you settle for a comparison to Pickett?

1723083362400.png

Would you settle for a comparison to Pickett?

View attachment 2071981
That's definitely more interesting than comparing him to Murphy, I'll give you that. Would actually be interesting to compare Rash with Picket after the same number of games - not sure how hard that is to do?

The premise is still the same though - I'm less concerned with what his current numbers are, and more with what they could be based on what he's capable of. Put it this way - if he played with the same intensity and effort that he did on the weekend, over the course of the year, there's a pretty good chance alot of these numbers in your comparison above should and probably would be pushing into the 'Elite' territory.

This is a comparison to Pickett in his 3rd season vs Rachele this season
1723086305373.png
Looking at the goal assists and goal combo I added what his average was for both to see who had a similar amount of combined minimums (only used forwards, which includes mid forwards). Basically the stat shows only 8 players have more than 0.8 GA & 1.3 goals from at least 10 games this season and 3 of them play for us

1723086293038.png

That's definitely more interesting than comparing him to Murphy, I'll give you that. Would actually be interesting to compare Rash with Picket after the same number of games - not sure how hard that is to do?

The premise is still the same though - I'm less concerned with what his current numbers are, and more with what they could be based on what he's capable of. Put it this way - if he played with the same intensity and effort that he did on the weekend, over the course of the year, there's a pretty good chance alot of these numbers in your comparison above should and probably would be pushing into the 'Elite' territory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Izak Rankine in his 3rd year too

View attachment 2072054
interesting to see Rankine is more a threat inside 50 with number of shot attempts (goals & behinds) also more marks inside 50 and goals assists.
Rachele seems to play more up the ground (rebound 50s) which is not what i want to see from a small forward/ high half forward.

Rachele definitely more outside player (uncontested possession).

Its also telling Rankine has had more bounces.... meaning takes the game on more.

interesting to see Rankine is more a threat inside 50 with number of shot attempts (goals & behinds) also more marks inside 50 and goals assists.
Rachele seems to play more up the ground (rebound 50s) which is not what i want to see from a small forward/ high half forward.

Its also telling Rankine has had more bounces.... meaning takes the game on more.
Our smalls pushing way up the ground is a Nicks move, so that's not gonna change for Rachele in the short term at least.

Definitely a shit new role Nicks has him playing, neither as a forward or in the midfield which he played very well last year and despite saying all preseason that Rachele will continue his development in the midfield.

Interesting point re: Rachele pushing up the ground - averages more touches per game than all goal per game small forwards, except Greene, Papley, Moore and Keays (not counting Bolton and Rankine due to midfield time)

Is the time up the ground hurting his impact he could be having around goal? Not sure, as to me he’s one of our more skilled ball users

Him being up the ground has far more to do with our set up than him as a player. Look where he sets up at most stoppages and where we have him running in general play.

I know this goes against the narrative on this board at the moment, but I reckon it's starting to click for him with his game when he doesn't have the ball. Consistently going in hard and laying some big tackles the last two weeks. Providing forward pressure. It was a big weakness in his game and important that he learns this stuff to become a complete player (and team mate).

I reckon what’s been established is he isn’t going to be a midfielder, not in the short term anyway.

I think he’s accepted it now and is concentrating on playing his current role to the best of his abilities rather than pining for a midfield move and seeing his current role inferior.

I still think there’s a place there. He was so good in that role at the start of last year and then it got taken away. I just think it would be a waste to not explore it as an option again.

I still think there’s a place there. He was so good in that role at the start of last year and then it got taken away. I just think it would be a waste to not explore it as an option again.
Rankine’s hammys might not be up to him being a full time mid, and Rachele’s tank isn’t either (yet, at least). But they could swap?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back