Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon what’s been established is he isn’t going to be a midfielder, not in the short term anyway.

I think he’s accepted it now and is concentrating on playing his current role to the best of his abilities rather than pining for a midfield move and seeing his current role inferior.
Which makes you wonder why there's such a disconnect between coach and recruitment staff.

Surely we didn't pay pick 6 for a half forward flanker?

Legend!!!!! Blokes still learning his craft has the skill set for sure. I’d go to war with the bloke after his weekend antics. Something the club needs

Its astounding.

We have been complete and utter rubbish for the past 7 years.

We finally have a kid who is a high draft pick and oozes talent. This is just his third season and he has kicked 30 goals. His first 3 years have been better than Rankine / Shai Bolton first 3 years.

We have played 8 games this year where the game was decided by 10 points or less. He has kicked 17 goals in these tight games including the game winner against Essendon.

The kid is still gonna be only 21 when the season kicks off in 2025.

Which makes you wonder why there's such a disconnect between coach and recruitment staff.
Screen Shot 2024-08-20 at 12.22.07 am.png
Surely we didn't pay pick 6 for a half forward flanker?
Toughest role in footy, and not many teams have a good player in that role. If he can ever reach the heights of the likes of Greene then he'll win us a lot of games. 30 goals this year, 7 more than last year, still only 21. Lots and lots of upside, youngest player on the list above by 2 years and isn't far off in terms of numbers of the good small forwards.

I've a feeling we're seeing another Jordan deGoey. Flashy, highly skilled, dangerous and a physique which can hold it's own in most contests.
There still hope that Rach can transition, in time, from an effective and productive forward into a burst midfielder.

He'll never be engine room material but, like Rankine, could be a dynamic burst player at stoppages. And like deGoey, it is a learned craft that he will need to persevere in learning.

He has excellent teachers all around him. Learn hard ball gets from Laird or Crouch. Determination and gut effort from Keays...and party tricks from Izak. An improvement in any of these areas makes him better. Improving them all makes him dynamite.

Oh...and in spite the knocks he deserves from us for some of his body contact questions... he's never dull to watch. Personality, skill, confidence, swagger. That's bums on seats baby.

If we can turn the corner as a team next year, he'll be amazing. And after that... I'll dream to oneday see the Tim Cahill boxing celebration at the G in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its easy to forget he is a) young, and b) good.

With the talk of enquiries about Kozzie Pickett, if you do the stats comparison between the 2 based on averages, there's no splitting them. And everyone raves about Pickett, who has 2 season of development on Rachele and playing in a much better team.

I think he does need to grow up a bit which will come, and also build a bit of size and muscle.

Not easy been a small forward with the negative game plan Nicks deploys - sending a forward to the stoppage, which still equals a horrible inside 50 delivery more times than not.

This leaves our forwards outnumbered so when the ball hits the ground it is difficult to beat 1v2 for the crumb.

Could you imagine how seniors like Laird would react if the young players wanted to take a selfie after beating an opponent.
Interesting point.
On reflection, all our senior guys appear reserved and quiet in nature. Dawson, Fogarty, Laird, Crouch, Smith O'Brien might all be good fellas but not with a natural bigger and bolder personality.
Not sure about Tex but also looks the quiet type.

I am probably wrong with some of this but I can see the value of the big personality types around the club. Davis was renowned for this. Ned and Keays probably in a similar mold.

This stuff is peripheral in importance but having fun in what you do is an advantage. Particularly when times are tough onfield.

So over to all of you. Who is the most fun on our list?

Its astounding.

We have been complete and utter rubbish for the past 7 years.

We finally have a kid who is a high draft pick and oozes talent. This is just his third season and he has kicked 30 goals. His first 3 years have been better than Rankine / Shai Bolton first 3 years.

We have played 8 games this year where the game was decided by 10 points or less. He has kicked 17 goals in these tight games including the game winner against Essendon.

The kid is still gonna be only 21 when the season kicks off in 2025.
Imagine what he could do with a better coaching set up

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back