Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

He's dropped, Matt Turner wouldn't have gone to print without confirmation.

The reasons why Josh Rachele has been dropped by the Crows for round 24 clash with Sydney​

Adelaide is adamant its decision to drop Josh Rachele is not motivated by political correctness. And his recent numbers read well. So, what is it? MATT TURNER Has the answer.

Putting himself ahead of the team is a key reason behind Josh Rachele’s surprise omission.
Rachele is set to be dropped for the Crows’ last game of the season on the back of his Showdown celebration mocking Port Adelaide fans.

After Rachele joked Power supporters “don’t have many teeth” in his weekly radio spot leading up to the match, Adelaide was understood to have told the 21-year-old to focus on the game and not incite the crowd.

Running towards Port fans pointing to his teeth when he kicked a brilliant second-quarter goal was viewed internally as ignoring instructions and being yet another case of the small forward going against what was best for the side.

The Crows believed Rachele, who did not fully commit to a crucial 50-50 contest in the centre of the ground last Saturday night, needed to become more team-first.

Ollie Wines tackles Josh Rachele during Showdown 56. Picture: Sarah Reed/AFL Photos

Ollie Wines tackles Josh Rachele during Showdown 56. Picture: Sarah Reed/AFL Photos
They are adamant their decision is not motivated by political correctness over the Victorian’s radio comments and his axing has been on the radar for a while.

Form was part of Adelaide’s reasoning despite Champion Data player ratings ranking Rachele sixth among general forwards over the past five games.

Just three weeks ago, Crows coach Matthew Nicks described the game against Geelong Rachele’s best for the club.

The Shepparton product backed that up with two goals from 10 disposals in Adelaide’s home win over the Western Bulldogs, before his quieter 10-touch, one-major, two-tackle performance last Saturday night.

Rachele is one of just six players across competition to average at least goals, one score assist and six score involvements over the past five weeks.
He ranks first at the Crows and equal-19th in the AFL this year for goal assists with 18, as well as third at the club for majors with 30.

While Adelaide had weighed up dropping him earlier this season, Rachele had played every game this year.

He told this masthead last week he felt his form had improved since the bye on the back of improving his defending and playing closer to goals.

Adelaide is mindful Rachele – the club’s sixth pick in the 2021 national draft – is still young and learning.

He is contracted to the Crows until the end of 2029 and they are expected to knock back any rivals that come calling at season’s end.

Cool so if it’s just form, what’s another week knowing how the story would play out when we’ve got nothing left to play for.

Just watching the 10 news sports report now. Absolutely gross hearing Smithers' talking about how disappointed the club was with Rash. And how his comments were 'disrespectful to Power fans'. Weak club

He's another one who can **** off too.

This does appear to be leadership group driven
Then they should be fired,

Shame on Smith Laird Fog and Tex every one of them that threw a player under the bus publicly, just atrocious leadership. Handle it in house, don't run to the media and Lynch a teammate.

This does appear to be leadership group driven
Certainly appears to be the case with yet another going public with Smith now joining Fog and Tex it seems

Just watching the 10 news sports report now. Absolutely gross hearing Smithers' talking about how disappointed the club was with Rash. And how his comments were 'disrespectful to Power fans'. Weak club
Spare me. Wow.
Meanwhile Power officials say they hate us, we're professionally jealous etc etc et-****ing-cetera

They probably still cry at night about the nasty stuff they found out Richmond players were saying about us at half time in the 2017 GF.

it was a silly thing to say. For years, we've had the upper hand because they come out in the press and say 'We hate the Crows' and we just play the game. And he shouldn't have said it. But hopefully he'll learn. Obviously the rest of the team did not like it.
Then he gets pilloried in the media for saying it and following it up, and firing Port up.
And THEN - the media - who had hung shit on him for saying it in the first place, start carrying on about how badly he's being treated.
It's the last game of the season for us and it's a completely meaningless game and people are losing their minds about a matter of internal discipline.
FFS

Glad you’re not my employer serious bullying issue by multiple leaders and wouldn’t be tolerated in private industry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spare me. Wow.
Meanwhile Power officials say they hate us, we're professionally jealous etc etc et-****ing-cetera

They probably still cry at night about the nasty stuff they found out Richmond players were saying about us at half time in the 2017 GF.
What did the Richmond players say? Never heard that story.

How do you feel about the JHF ice bath thing?

I don’t recall the team I support and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars in memberships in 33 years putting JHF in an ice bath - and I’m discussing Rachele and the pile on him publicly by his employer and colleagues not the team at Alberton

It would have made more sense to make him the sub, if they wanted to discipline him

There's so many ways we could have handled it internally without making a spectacle of ourselves and hanging Rachelle. If he really was told not to instigate the crowd and the club felt they had to do something. We could have fined him without telling anyone. Could have him come back early next pre season. Take some sort of stupid course. The options are endless, and we've chosen the absolute worst way to handle it.

Get out of my ****ing club you absolute melt smith. Why on earth should any of us give two ****s about disrespecting power fans. Literally get a grip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t recall the team I support and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars in memberships in 33 years putting JHF in an ice bath - and I’m discussing Rachele and the pile on him publicly by his employer and colleagues not the team at Alberton

A pile on? Fog was just on saying how much they love him and his personality.

If he's dropped for "not doing the team thing" then why is Laird still getting a game? What about throwing the ball away inside defensive 50 and not shepparding a team mate? What about throwing a team mate under the bus in the media?

That doesn't seem like the "team thing" either but I guess there's different rules for different players.

This Ass backwards club is doing my head in
There's no justification towards dropping him. You've covered the team man aspect of it, but for the performance part of it.

A) He's above average in most stats for his position and has kicked 30 goals.
B) If it is, then someone please berate the coaches and ask why the **** Murphy is still in. He's in the bloody leadership group and consistently goes missing in last quarters when the game is to be won (he does **** all outside of that regardless, but his last quarter stats are really damning)

There's so many ways we could have handled it internally without making a spectacle of ourselves and hanging Rachelle. If he really was told not to instigate the crowd and the club felt they had to do something. We could have fined him without telling anyone. Could have him come back early next pre season. Take some sort of stupid course. The options are endless, and we've chosen the absolute worst way to handle it.

Why the bloody hell is anyone telling him to not fire up the crowd pregame?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back