Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a huge fan of Rachele in his first year simply because he was a very accurate goal kicker and I saw his scoring potential. Last year was a partial let down as his goal kicking dried up, while playing midfield time at the expense of his goal accuracy. Throughout his career though, I can safely say he’s also one of those ambidextrous types like Tex and Rankine/Betts. That last goal he kicked last night was a pressure cooker and to be confident to swing it on his left was supreme foot skills.
I don’t think his attitude is very far off now, it’s more a matter of fine-tuning the attacking flair and the defensive agggression.

This looks bad on first glance but Rachele clearly pulls out of the bump because he would have smashed Ridley's head and copped weeks

In the final quarter, every player should be made mandatory to tackle and not bump. Fatigue is likely to kick in and an error in judgment in the bump could be too costly. Rachele should have tackled, but I think it’s something he’ll learn from.

I'm still mostly convinced that 90% of the things people complain about Rachele are actually him sticking to the exact plan he's been given by the coaches.

His job isn't to head into the heart of a contest and lay a thumping tackle, or win a big clearance. His job is to anticipate the bounce of the ball, and get off his opponent ready to be an attacking weapon.

For years, we've seen every Crows player make a beeline for the ball, getting in each other's way, only for it to squirt out to an opposition player who waited on the outside. I like that someone like Rachele, who can do serious damage with ball in hand, tries to get into dangerous spots outside the contest.

Yes, sometimes when he does that his opponent is going to win the ball and run away. But other times when he does that, he's going to receive the ball and generate a goal. He kicked three of them today. I'll take that any day. I don't see it as "squibbing" or "being soft". It's playing his role.

When the time actually comes to lay a tackle he's pretty good at it. It's just not his role most of the time. We have other, much less classy players than him in the side to do that.
Exactly! The player people are describing is Lachie Murphy, and we all know what type of player he is.

Some people on this board have fallen for the media narrative that started earlier this season and can’t seem to ignore it since, regardless of the very good things he does for a 3rd year player.

Genuine match winners like Rachele and Rankine are needed if we are ever to compete for flags again.

This looks bad on first glance but Rachele clearly pulls out of the bump because he would have smashed Ridley's head and copped weeks

ok that makes a bit more sense - at the game I didn't have that angle and I had a bit of an outburst wondering what the **** kind of effort that was

definitely looks like he pulls up as to not bump the guys head

This applies to a lot of our young group,

I definitely think it applies to Chayce Jones.

I think a large portion of the blame for his failure to develop sits with Nicks and duds like Michael Godden.

If you watch how Jones played back in 2019 you could see that he was a see ball, get ball player with great pace and a penetrating foot.

2020 rolls in and the narrative is all about defence and playing defensive football and you could literally see that he went from this fast attacking mid to trying to play as a defensive mid and was just running around looking totally lost. It was almost like they were re-teaching him how to play football from scratch.

In the end Nicks and the other coaches smashed a square peg into a round hole and in doing so they coached his natural instincts out of his game and turned into a B grade player.

In order to stop the same same thing happening with Rachele, they need to let him play his natural game and encourage him to trust his instincts as a player because if they try and coach it out of him it's hard to get it back.

Exactly! The player people are describing is Lachie Murphy, and we all know what type of player he is.

Some people on this board have fallen for the media narrative that started earlier this season and can’t seem to ignore it since, regardless of the very good things he does for a 3rd year player.

Genuine match winners like Rachele and Rankine are needed if we are ever to compete for flags again.
BACCS, I don’t know what’s happened to you this season but you’ve gone from defending the club at all costs in the past to making some of the most sensible and balanced comments all season.

I definitely think it applies to Chayce Jones.

I think a large portion of the blame for his failure to develop sits with Nicks and duds like Michael Godden.

If you watch how Jones played back in 2019 you could see that he was a see ball, get ball player with great pace and a penetrating foot.

2020 rolls in and the narrative is all about defence and playing defensive football and you could literally see that he went from this fast attacking mid to trying to play as a defensive mid and was just running around looking totally lost. It was almost like they were re-teaching him how to play football from scratch.

In the end Nicks and the other coaches smashed a square peg into a round hole and in doing so they coached his natural instincts out of his game and turned into a B grade player.

In order to stop the same same thing happening with Rachele, they need to let him play his natural game and encourage him to trust his instincts as a player because if they try and coach it out of him it's hard to get it back.
100%
Talk to Rowey about the instructions James had to follow.

Not hard to have a better game than Smithers though. Looked slow the whole game. Has completely lost his speed.
The passage of play where he did set up an I50 late was hard to watch.

So slow, nearly got caught.

He needs to retire.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've made this point before, but I think Rachele has been over coached.

He's a mercurial small forward that plays on instinct, I'd be willing to bet he's been constantly being told to work on his defence and his defensive efforts and he's now overthinking things and it's been affecting his ability to play his natural instinctive brand of footy.

It was great to see him really make an impact last night, but I do still think that he's been poorly coached.

I think that's more a convenient argument then reality.

Now, in saying that, it is very likely we're focusing on Rachele defensive game and trying to make him more consistent on that side. It's the area where he has the most scope for improvement, and it's something that will just click into place if we keep putting the work in. Defense is the area that, once it clicks, will turn Rachele into an elite small forward.

That said, if there is one area Rachele has put work into - and this may be where the overthinking argument comes from - it is shot selection. Rachele last year struggled at this, with his average shot having an xscore of 2.76 (gen play 2.56, set shot 3.13) . This year, that's jumped up to an xscore of 3.05 (gen play 2.87, set 3.33). Where has that increase come from? Rachele is taking less shots from > 40 m. Last year, most of Racheles shots came from 40-50 m with 18, and another 8 past 50 m. Now the problem here is Rachele isn't great at this range, going at ~33% per shot between 40-50 m (AFL average in 2023: ~42%) and 12.5% at >50 m (AFL average in 2023: ~27%), whereas he's > 50 % once he gets anywhere within 40 m. This year? most of his shots have come from 15-30 m taking 15 of them and only 14 from >= 40 m (no appreciable change in accuracy). The other thing is Rachele is taking better quality shots in the 30--40 m range for his skill set, seeing he's now > 65% from anywhere <= 40.

I think your "overthinking" is just a player focused on rounding out his game and focusing on trying to create better opportunities then blazing away. Because the other part here is Rachele has been just as destructive with the ball in hand this year as was last. Perhaps more so, seeing he'll eclipse last years goals and goal assist totals and is about the same for score involvements.

Really though. I think the biggest thing Rachele needs is a big preseason just to put the pieces together.

I think both sides of the Rach debate are half right, and try to ignore or downplay the things on the other side:

“Yes he kicked 3 goals inc the amazing match winner but his shirking is unacceptable”

“I don’t care that he has multiple cringey efforts per game, he kicked the match winner!”

I'm still mostly convinced that 90% of the things people complain about Rachele are actually him sticking to the exact plan he's been given by the coaches.

His job isn't to head into the heart of a contest and lay a thumping tackle, or win a big clearance. His job is to anticipate the bounce of the ball, and get off his opponent ready to be an attacking weapon.

For years, we've seen every Crows player make a beeline for the ball, getting in each other's way, only for it to squirt out to an opposition player who waited on the outside. I like that someone like Rachele, who can do serious damage with ball in hand, tries to get into dangerous spots outside the contest.

Yes, sometimes when he does that his opponent is going to win the ball and run away. But other times when he does that, he's going to receive the ball and generate a goal. He kicked three of them today. I'll take that any day. I don't see it as "squibbing" or "being soft". It's playing his role.

When the time actually comes to lay a tackle he's pretty good at it. It's just not his role most of the time. We have other, much less classy players than him in the side to do that.
Well said

The two instances Redman got the ball, Rachele was not his direct defensive opponent.

Someone, probably Laird, missed a handover as Redman pushed up.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BACCS, I don’t know what’s happened to you this season but you’ve gone from defending the club at all costs in the past to making some of the most sensible and balanced comments all season.
Because there is more and more evidence that Nicks hasn't changed as he can't so he still hasn't learnt. He did eventually dropped Smith and ROB many weeks too late but brought Smith back and he is still crap and yet to drop him again, at least ROB has contributed since his return. He hasn't recalled McHenry but still select Murphy who has been shit, it was understandably last year when Murphy contributed in games and was excellent against Geelong in Geelong why he persisted but this year......also has stuck with the youngsters of late but I suspect he will default to the same at the start of next year.

3 tackles inside 50. Equal game high, including one that directly lead to a goal.

But this guy “doesn’t work defensively”.

Btw I was watching him pretty closely, he did not look like he was moving freely at all, I don’t think his knee is quite right.

One thing I have noticed with Rachele, some players when there is a ball to be won make it their primary focus just to grab it, then worry about what to do with it later. With Josh, you can clearly see his mind is working a couple steps ahead, he doesn’t want to just grab the ball and be in no position to do anything, he’s looking to be creative.

I agree that he at times needs to learn when to do the simple play, but it’ll come with him.

I think both sides of the Rach debate are half right, and try to ignore or downplay the things on the other side:

“Yes he kicked 3 goals inc the amazing match winner but his shirking is unacceptable”

“I don’t care that he has multiple cringey efforts per game, he kicked the match winner!”

If Rachele wins us a final or even a flag with a left foot snap, which he could do, I'm not going to give two shits about some random tackle he didn't quite stick....

I noticed a few players for both sides only going in half hearted with tackles last night.

Clearly the shitshow that is the MRO is impacting how they are playing.

The sooner Laura Kane hands in her resignation the better.

I haven't changed how I post at all, I just try to have some balance. If the club deserve a whack, I'll give it; if they deserve praise, I'll give it.

Someone like Lachie Murphy has played way better footy at AFL level than he has the last 12 months, but he seems to be regressing and after 100 games that isn't a good sign. Fine as depth, but should never be best 22.

I find it funny that the microscope is so heavy on Rachele's "defensive efforts" and "lack of chasing".

Obviously haven't watched much of our so-called good midfielders for the past 15 years.
The people picking up on it at this point are just looking for anything slightly off defensively so they can feel some sort of weird validation in their opinion. If you looked this closely at most players in similar roles, I reckon you could pickup one or two poor defensive efforts a game, but they'll never be highlighted as it isn't the 'in' thing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back