Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree.

He’s copped it in the media very unfairly and I don’t think our coaches have gone in to bat for him anywhere near as much as they should.

Send the message that **** everyone else, we love what you bring, keep being you.
And still performing despite all the media BS which is the biggest positive.

Are you guys concerned now?
Short steps/rushed disposals and staying outside were again evident.

There was one dropped mark he could have gone at harder, other than that no short steps at all.

Had some rushed disposals, as did the rest of our team.

My main concern with Rachele is that he struggles to get involved enough. Ironically he seems to get more of the ball in that high half-forward role than when he goes on the wing or behind the ball, which is the opposite of what I would expect.

Are you guys concerned now?
Short steps/rushed disposals and staying outside were again evident.

Nah. For the most part, Rachele is producing at a good click. Bit stagnant, however it's likely more to do with external factors then anything problematic.

Also staying outside? Rachele won 8 ground balls against Brisbane and had a contested ball rate of 67%. I'd dare say Rach pushed too inside if anything and probably explains why he was rushed outside. Brisbane deserve their flowers with that one, as it is one of many indicators that show they tactically smashed us.

Every player has demons in the closest with contests they didn't go hard enough or rushing their thought process.

There was one dropped mark he could have gone at harder, other than that no short steps at all.

Had some rushed disposals, as did the rest of our team.

My main concern with Rachele is that he struggles to get involved enough. Ironically he seems to get more of the ball in that high half-forward role than when he goes on the wing or behind the ball, which is the opposite of what I would expect.
It might be coaching but to my eye, he doesn't deliberately hunt the ball. It looks a bit like he's waiting for it rather than seeking it proactively.

Fixable.
New coach might help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be coaching but to my eye, he doesn't deliberately hunt the ball. It looks a bit like he's waiting for it rather than seeking it proactively.

Fixable.
New coach might help.

It might also just be his style. He is the kind of player who anticipates opportunities, and looks to put himself in an offensive position, rather than just going straight at the ball and getting tackled. Sometimes it comes off, often it doesn't.

Ideally there should be a balance. Rankine is the best exemplar of this that Rachele could have to learn from. Rankine isn't scared to go in hard and hunt the ball when it's the right time, but he also knows when to separate from the contest and wait for the ball to spill out to him.

It might also just be his style. He is the kind of player who anticipates opportunities, and looks to put himself in an offensive position, rather than just going straight at the ball and getting tackled. Sometimes it comes off, often it doesn't.

Ideally there should be a balance. Rankine is the best exemplar of this that Rachele could have to learn from. Rankine isn't scared to go in hard and hunt the ball when it's the right time, but he also knows when to separate from the contest and wait for the ball to spill out to him.
I'm happy for Rankine to teach all our squad a thing or two.

Glad he got the winning goal tonight. Surely a confidence booster

Thought he was good tonight overall, he’s clearly one of our most creative players with ball in hand
He didn’t get a heap of the ball, but he made his opportunities count. He is classy as can be with the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back