Judd Rejects Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

If Judd rates north as his preferred destination if werent for the GC crap, couldnt we just allow him 2 sign a clause in the contract so that if we move, he can just go 2 another club.

That's not a fair comparison as all VIC club membership numbers have escalated substantially since Carey's peak.

Pharro...what was our peak membership during the 90's compared to now? Lets go further back and what was our peak membership during our glory era of the 70's? The supporters of the 90's would be the generation that grew up on the success of the North sides of the 70's yet our membership have not boosted to the likes of even Hawthorn?

This GC crap is a major factor in increasing our supporter base as the whole Canberra experiment isolated a lot of supporters IMO.

Until this board come out and categorically state that we are either stay or move then our membership will remain at these levels - who wants to buy a membership in a club that doesn't know if it's Victorian or Queenslander?:thumbsdown:

That's like saying the deal is done, providing that the deal gets done.

Judd wants Carlton but they have to seal the trade with West Coke. If that collapses (I don't think it will) Collingwood is his next choice. Carlton will do a deal and can afford whatever it takes.

While I don't put a lot of weight on this Judd proposition, I am concerned that it will be a factor with other players we might want to attract to our Club. Plus it could also be a factor in future contract negotiations with existing players.

Its shit having this hang over our heads. Its the main reason for our membership decline in real terms over the last 5-6+ years.

Heard this from a friend who shares office space with Chris Judd's manager Paul Connors... make of it what you will.

Apparently North Melbourne Football Club approached Judd's people today about coming to Arden St in 2008 and they were told that Judd would rate North Melbourne as his MOST preferred club if not for the Gold Coast speculation. NMFC management was asked whether they could rule out relocation, and when they said no, it could not be ruled out, they were informed Judd will not consider Arden St as a new home.

Doesn't mean we won't be involved in the trade deal. If Carlton have their hearts set on Judd - nothing stopping us from getting into the Blues and trying to snare Murphy and offering some bait out West.

Wanting Judd and getting Judd are two different matters.

What kings ransom would you be prepared to give WC to get him? even if he did want to come to NM we would have to give up a s*** load to secure his services. I am not convinced and hope we keep focusing on solid drafting that has got us to where we are today.

My thoughts could all change if they asked for Leigh Brown in return however.;)

Wanting Judd and getting Judd are two different matters.

What kings ransom would you be prepared to give WC to get him? even if he did want to come to NM we would have to give up a s*** load to secure his services. I am not convinced and hope we keep focusing on solid drafting that has got us to where we are today.

My thoughts could all change if they asked for Leigh Brown in return however.;)

Yes it's a mixed blessing for sure. Always a slap in the face when a top player doesn't even want to consider our club, but at the same time, I am happy that the temptation to trade away the future has been removed. This thread is less about Judd and really all about the challenges facing management at the club while we remain in this state of flux.

Yes it's a mixed blessing for sure. Always a slap in the face when a top player doesn't even want to consider our club, but at the same time, I am happy that the temptation to trade away the future has been removed. This thread is less about Judd and really all about the challenges facing management at the club while we remain in this state of flux.

certainly agree. Realized my Judd comments probably belonged in another thread that i read after this. Your point is well taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't think we are serious about Judd anyway. Where would we get $5mil over 3 years? And how could we possibly trade into the top 3 or 4 picks?
Just doesn't add up.

Well I agree with all your other comments but where on earth did you get this figure from? No club is going to pay that sort of figure. That is just rediculous.

I doubt that Judd would even be remotely interested in coming to North though.
He will most likely go to a Carlton or a Collingwood. Maybe even an Essendon.
I can't see the great man at a small club though.

Judd wants Carlton but they have to seal the trade with West Coke. If that collapses (I don't think it will) Collingwood is his next choice. Carlton will do a deal and can afford whatever it takes.

How can you make a statement like "Judd wants Carlton"?

Have you spoken to him or something?

I think he's a 95% chance he'll go to Carlton, but that's mainly because they have the ability to deal with WC.

Doesn't mean we won't be involved in the trade deal. If Carlton have their hearts set on Judd - nothing stopping us from getting into the Blues and trying to snare Murphy and offering some bait out West.

I think that is our best chance - be part of the process.

What do you think we have to offer to benefit from the deal?

Well I agree with all your other comments but where on earth did you get this figure from? No club is going to pay that sort of figure. That is just rediculous.

I doubt that Judd would even be remotely interested in coming to North though.
He will most likely go to a Carlton or a Collingwood. Maybe even an Essendon.
I can't see the great man at a small club though.

Thats the sort of money they are talking when you see the complete package. that includes the $400k a year marketing packjage allowed under AFL rules. probably more like $4mil to $4.5mil.

Memberships will not save our club. I say it again, membership numbers of 30,000 will still not "save" the club.

All the journalists and media are stuck in a "sport" mindset when it comes to club earnings. Even the Pies who are putting money into Pubs are still thinking within the confines of the AFL system.

It is the ability to offer greater value and make wise investments that could see the club write its own destiny.

They are bloody insane. Our chance of getting him just went fuking begging

When you think about it it makes sense - we fit the profile - close on the premiership clock, great team ethos but we are not in the hunt - he would be worth about 5K additional members

How can you make a statement like "Judd wants Carlton"?

Have you spoken to him or something?

I think he's a 95% chance he'll go to Carlton, but that's mainly because they have the ability to deal with WC.

Contacts told me he would end up at Carlton two months ago and it has been widely speculated on Bigfooty and in the media. I trust my contacts. It was part of Pratts rise to fame that he would deliver Judd or another big name. They still have to do the deal but $$$$s speak loudly and Carlton have plenty of unofficial dollars available for this sort of deal. One of the benefits of being run by a billionaire.

Contacts told me he would end up at Carlton two months ago and it has been widely speculated on Bigfooty and in the media. I trust my contacts. It was part of Pratts rise to fame that he would deliver Judd or another big name. They still have to do the deal but $$$$s speak loudly and Carlton have plenty of unofficial dollars available for this sort of deal. One of the benefits of being run by a billionaire.

Deals do not get done until its on the table and signed off in trade week. Unless your sources know exactly what draft picks and players both clubs have agreed on, then its all pure speculation. No doubt Carlton and West Coast will be disagreeing on the value of Judd and whatever player and picks Carlton want to give.

Anyone who says any deal now is "a done deal" is dreaming.

I think that is our best chance - be part of the process.

What do you think we have to offer to benefit from the deal?

Carlton need talls and bigger bodies.

Hypothetical. We offer our 1st round pick, Brown & Moran to Carlton in exchange for Murphy.

That then gives Carlton another 1st round pick to play with - and allows them to keep pick #1.

At face value - they might not agree to that as a stand alone trade, but if it helps them get Judd to Princes Park and keeps their Priority Pick intact, the deal looks a bit sweeter.

Just a thought.

Deals do not get done until its on the table and signed off in trade week. Unless your sources know exactly what draft picks and players both clubs have agreed on, then its all pure speculation. No doubt Carlton and West Coast will be disagreeing on the value of Judd and whatever player and picks Carlton want to give.

Anyone who says any deal now is "a done deal" is dreaming.

I think I said that - Carlton is his preference and Carlton and Judd have an agreed position. Just need to do the deal with WC. Thats what I have said.

Don't forget that Carlton can have him free by tipping him into the draft but then they probably lose Kreuzer.

Whether true or not, stuff like that will happen. I posted this some time ago - the Gold Coast speculation will start hurting the club in player retention, and attracting potential players to the club.

It may already be happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd Rejects Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back