Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

And sometimes they stick with traditional uniforms because... the AFL is a bush league?
View attachment 2024926
And sometimes, they just wear an away strip(or a 3rd strip) for no reason outside manufacturer contracts, making a clash worst

Mistakes happen. it is not fool proof. but it is a lot more consistent that the AFL interpretation.

And sometimes they stick with traditional uniforms because... the AFL is a bush league?
View attachment 2024926

Not ideal when both teams have worn a heavy black-based kit but the match up looked great this year. Not even close to the same tier of stupid that is Collingwood vs Carlton.

IMG_1351.jpeg

Not ideal when both teams have worn a heavy black-based kit but the match up looked great this year. Not even close to the same tier of stupid that is Collingwood vs Carlton.

View attachment 2025349
Even still, the direct comparison to soccer is not always fair, because the longer shorts and the lifted socks to help provide more of a clash.

It's also why the Browns vs. Bengals can wear this in the NFL: the long pants and long socks help provide contrast

1718931775137.png

There's a consensus that North in Blue and Pies in black shorts would've been sufficient.

One thing most folks agree on is white shorts away should be consigned to history.

But we need to acknowledge the heritage of Australian Football, and the differences that exist with football strips here in comparison to other sports around the world.

In the AFL, there are a large number of clubs with black, navy or white in their club colours.

Clubs in this League also have multiple colours in their guernseys, or designs that are different from the front and the back of the guernsey, and this gives the impression of three or sometimes four different teams on one field when strips are viewed from different angles. Our club is somehwat guilty of this, but is a very distinctive strip in the League overall so it can largely get away with it. But Port Adelaide v Adelaide is one fixture that comes to mind that looks like shith, and there are several others.

I agree with many here who argue that club away strips need to be sufficiently different to their home strips. Why do the Giants have an away strip that is still predominantly orange? It's probably a good idea to make them simpler than the home strip. For example, Adelaide's away strip this season is still akin to Joseph's technocolour dreamcoat, and makes clashes worse. 🤦‍♂️

I still believe that clubs can largely make the away guernseys from their club colours. It is common OS to use white, or yellow as a base for away strips. I like white as you won't look back on it in a replay in a decade and wonder who the **** it is, because you can still add your club colours to it.

Ultimately, the AFL need to get a handle on it all first. It seems as though they've gone back 30 years in their approach.
Generally speaking the best clash kits have been a white version of the home kit anyway.

Dogs, Freo, Saints, Blues, Port come to mind IMMEDIATELY for me when i think of the best clash kits.

I understand the Argument from say Hawthorn or Richmond that they dont need it but id still argue white versions of those would look great.

It also really eliminates the prospect of clashes with all but North, Geelong and maybe Sydney (pending the non white color).

Its a funny thing most people hate the blanket rule policy a few of us would like to see implemented but also acknowledge that the current system doesnt work.

If the AFL wasnt such a joke about administering their ow policy we wouldnt need to be discussing alternative solutions.

Generally speaking the best clash kits have been a white version of the home kit anyway.

Dogs, Freo, Saints, Blues, Port come to mind IMMEDIATELY for me when i think of the best clash kits.

I understand the Argument from say Hawthorn or Richmond that they dont need it but id still argue white versions of those would look great.
The white ones are great but I reckon Richmond & West Coast's yellow kits are among the best in the business. Even the Saints had a yellow number there for a while.

I just wish they'd be forced to wear the darn things every time they were away to Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, GWS and each other, as well as when they currently do.

It also really eliminates the prospect of clashes with all but North, Geelong and maybe Sydney (pending the non white color).

Its a funny thing most people hate the blanket rule policy a few of us would like to see implemented but also acknowledge that the current system doesnt work.

If the AFL wasnt such a joke about administering their ow policy we wouldnt need to be discussing alternative solutions.
Yep white is the most contrasting, and should be worn by the umpires.

The white ones are great but I reckon Richmond & West Coast's yellow kits are among the best in the business. Even the Saints had a yellow number there for a while.

I just wish they'd be forced to wear the darn things every time they were away to Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, GWS and each other, as well as when they currently do.
Its probably a personal and subjective thing i suppose. Richmonds is good and they won a flag in it.

Pretty easy for Essendon I think.

Home kit
Red kit (with red shorts)
White kit (with white shorts)

Away versus…

Adelaide: white
Brisbane: white
Carlton: red
Collingwood: red
Fremantle: red
Gold Coast: black
GWS: white
Hawthorn: red
Geelong: black or red, depending on Geelong’s shorts
Melbourne: white
North: black or red, depending on North’s shorts
Port: red
Richmond: red
St Kilda: white
Sydney: black
West Coast: any
Bulldogs: red

All that is needed is a competent administrator at the AFL to oversee this issue and designate appropriate uniforms for home team, away team and umpires for each round. I'd happily take on the role for minimum wage or around $50k p.a. Club requests will be taken into consideration (home team moreso than away) but final decision each week rests with the AFL uniform administrator.

Criteria to be taken into consideration:
1. All matchups to be visually distinct.
2. Traditional jumpers to be preferable for home teams
3. Allowance for special jumpers for theme rounds (e.g. indigenous, heritage, retro, charity), however both dark and light variants must be submitted
4. White shorts as default away rule abolished
5. Commercial obligations are considered but cannot override visual clash avoidance criteria

Where can I send my proposal and resume, Dill and Laura?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The current jumpers DO work - if the AFL actually used them when needed, and showed some common sense re white shorts.

This is brilliant.
So we need to find Carlton a charity to adopt for games against Essendon , Richmond and Collingwood when away team

Surely a cancer one where they wear pink (v Richmond)
a different male cancer one where they wear like green (v Essendon)
And a kids charity where they wear light blue (v Collingwood)

I wouldn’t advocate a blanket policy that all away strips for the darker strip clubs should be white. It’s really only a suggestion on my part. Those clubs you listed have white in their club colours so it compliments them. Richmond and Hawthorn are fine to go yellow and brown respectively in their away i reckon. But they need to effectively differentiate from the opposing match day team. If a club like hawthorn opts for white, then great. But I wouldn’t want a hard rule on it. Away strips that aren’t white can still uniquely represent the club, like Richmond’s.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back