MRP / Trib. Junior Rioli hit on Jordan Ridley

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair none of us can know for certain what Rioli's intention was.

Not saying Rioli did this but(in fact I am confident he didn't) but it is possible a player could do a borderline action with the intention of having a chance to injure an opponent. Like the old "make him earn it" mantra from my playing days.

This is where the grading system is utter rubbish. It declares an act either intentional or careless relying solely on the MRO guessing what the player's intention is. Without asking the player who committed the act!

On the issue of intention, if there is any doubt, the MRO should at the very least be interviewing the player about his intention, and taking his explanation into account before making his mind up. A simple phone call would suffice. On the issue of where contact is made and the level of impact, the player who was struck should also be worth a call.

And from there the system needs to be nuanced enough to differentiate between different levels of carelessness and/or intent.
If it's sent to the tribunal, Rioli can put forward his case.
Of course a player is not going to say it was intentional.
Speaking to the other player is pointless.

IMO, It will be classed as careless.
The only issue will be if it's a severe or high grading.
High gets him 2 and severe gets him 3.

I'm guessing it's 3.

If it's sent to the tribunal, Rioli can put forward his case.
Of course a player is not going to say it was intentional.
Speaking to the other player is pointless.

IMO, It will be classed as careless.
The only issue will be if it's a severe or high grading.
High gets him 2 and severe gets him 3.

I'm guessing it's 3.

You don't assume what a person will say without asking him. You are not compelled to believe the player's explanation, but it should be considered before the need for a full tribunal hearing.

Players may say all manner of things that can influence or expedite the process, and also inform rule changes or rule interpretation changes.

Like you, I also think it will be classed as careless. But I would still prefer this grading to be made after speaking to the player whose level of carelessness or intent is being judged.

View attachment 1681248

Tribunal rule 4.3-B. Maybe don't bother bringing up pointless arguments unless you actually know the rules?
How is it behind the play or off the ball? It's in front of the play with the ball coming towards the area, and Rioli is positioning himself to give Finlayson separation in a marking contest. A legitimate part of play and whilst it is unfortunate and probably careless that his arm is out like that, he's not intending for Ridley to run into it.

I kind of hope it goes to the tribunal and gets looked at properly, because otherwise old mate MRO is liable to lock in some bullshit 2 weeker based on media coverage of the incident.

How is it behind the play or off the ball? It's in front of the play with the ball coming towards the area, and Rioli is positioning himself to give Finlayson separation in a marking contest. A legitimate part of play and whilst it is unfortunate and probably careless that his arm is out like that, he's not intending for Ridley to run into it.

I kind of hope it goes to the tribunal and gets looked at properly, because otherwise old mate MRO is liable to lock in some bullshit 2 weeker based on media coverage of the incident.
Agree it was in play. But still worth 3 or 4. Van Rooyen got 2, and Riolis impact was higher

Open your other eye mate.
He's concussed a guy off the ball.
You think he will get low impact?

He's going to get 3 weeks minimum every day of the week.

I literally said in my first post likely medium impact.

My last post was responding to claims that’s just because it resulted in a concussion that it’s automatically graded as high or severe. That’s not the case.

View attachment 1681248

Tribunal rule 4.3-B. Maybe don't bother bringing up pointless arguments unless you actually know the rules?
"Usually consistent" does not equal every single time as you're suggesting... Maybe read your own images before posting them. This one was clearly accidental.

And as mentioned below, this is not behind the play.

I literally said in my first post likely medium impact.

My last post was responding to claims that’s just because it resulted in a concussion that it’s automatically graded as high or severe. That’s not the case.
He's left the ground, hit a guy n the head and concussed him.
You think that's medium impact?
He'll be lucky to get high impact.

It's 3 weeks every day of the week.

He's left the ground, hit a guy n the head and concussed him.
You think that's medium impact?
He'll be lucky to get high impact.

It's 3 weeks every day of the week.

Well guess a precedent has been set with Van Rooynen getting 2 weeks for concussing a guy who had to be stretchered off.

That was graded as high and was much more impact than Rioli given he needed a stretcher.

So medium impact isn’t out of reality considering Ridley was able to walk off.

3-4.
Off the ball. Left the ground. High impact. Player injured.
If it was a block gone wrong, then why did he leave the ground? When a player does that, they have no grounds to protect themselves by jumping or turning the shoulder/body into the contest.

Well guess a precedent has been set with Van Rooynen getting 2 weeks for concussing a guy who had to be stretchered off.

That was graded as high and was much more impact than Rioli given he needed a stretcher.

So medium impact isn’t out of reality considering Ridley was able to walk off.
Even your god Kane Cornes said it's severe and straight to the tribunal.

Ballards has no injuries not even concussion and it was an in play incident not behind the play. Cornes said in the same segment that Van Rooyen should appeal and not be suspended so the two cases have no relevance with each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He deliberately swung his fist at head high. Left a bloke concussed.

Intentional, high and high.

Which pixel allowed you to see him clench a fist?

Obviously got him high, he got a concussion.. careless, high impact.

Whatever that works out at the MRP chook lotto. 2 weeks sounds fair but it'll probably be 4 because of the Port tax and because the media haven't decided junior is a "good bloke"

Even your god Kane Cornes said it's severe and straight to the tribunal.

Ballards has no injuries not even concussion and it was an in play incident not behind the play. Cornes said in the same segment that Van Rooyen should appeal and not be suspended so the two cases have no relevance with each other.

Say what you want but I still view the incident as being in play and think it will be graded as such.

He was trying to lay a block to create space for the player leading at the ball. It wasn’t an incident 100m off the ball and just attempting to clean him up for no reason.

Careless, high contact and high impact still comes back to 2 weeks. Medium impact is 1 week.

He didn’t shoulder charge him to the head (aka Pickett) and it was only just to a loose arm making unfortunate contact.

If there was no concussion this incident wouldn’t even be spoken about as it happens 20 times a game to create space for a forward leading.

However the concussion which was only caused by a loose arm, will result in 1-2 weeks IMO and talks of 4 weeks and severe contact is just excessive.

He didn’t charge him with his shoulder to the head and he didn’t turn around and punch him high.

Just an unfortunate incident and poor timing by Rioli and hurts loosing a player as good as Ridley in a close game.

The whole thing is just bizarre, there's no rebound of Riolis arm, it looks ever so glancing at most.

Ridley also grabs Rioli on the hip which I'm sure will be part of the discussion, as it affects Riolis movement. Given we're talking such fine millimeters, every little bit counts.

Attachments

• twitter_20230508_074941.mp4
    409.6 KB
The whole thing is just bizarre, there's no rebound of Riolis arm, it looks ever so glancing at most.

Ridley also grabs Rioli on the hip which I'm sure will be part of the discussion, as it affects Riolis movement. Given we're talking such fine millimeters, every little bit counts.

It’s just so innocuous. How on earth did that low impact cause concussion?

Say what you want but I still view the incident as being in play and think it will be graded as such.

He was trying to lay a block to create space for the player leading at the ball. It wasn’t an incident 100m off the ball and just attempting to clean him up for no reason.

Careless, high contact and high impact still comes back to 2 weeks. Medium impact is 1 week.

He didn’t shoulder charge him to the head (aka Pickett) and it was only just to a loose arm making unfortunate contact.

If there was no concussion this incident wouldn’t even be spoken about as it happens 20 times a game to create space for a forward leading.

However the concussion which was only caused by a loose arm, will result in 1-2 weeks IMO and talks of 4 weeks and severe contact is just excessive.

He didn’t charge him with his shoulder to the head and he didn’t turn around and punch him high.

Just an unfortunate incident and poor timing by Rioli and hurts loosing a player as good as Ridley in a close game.
"If there was no concussion" is a bit like saying "If the guy I punched didn't fall over and hit his head and die, I wouldn't be charged with murder".

You can't even see the ball in the frame so it's hardly in play.
Again, you aren't getting medium impact when you concuss a player.

"Was only a loose arm".
LOL

Players are getting a week for a dangerous tackle with no injury at all to the tackled player.
On what planet do you think Rioli will get a week?

You can't even see the ball in the frame so it's hardly in play.
Again, you aren't getting medium impact when you concuss a player.

The ball is about to be delivered into the 50. Forwards do a lot of their work before the ball arrives. It is absolutely in play, as you can see Finlayson starting to launch at the end of the clip. Anyone that thinks this is not in play has never played football.

The ball is about to be delivered into the 50. Forwards do a lot of their work before the ball arrives. It is absolutely in play, as you can see Finlayson starting to launch at the end of the clip. Anyone that thinks this is not in play has never played football.
I know you're a Port supporter, but come on.

If it's about to be delivered, how can it be in play?
If you think thats in play, you're in Laa Laa land.

I'd take Derm's opinion over yours.

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton said Rioli got Ridley in a vulnerable position on the jaw.

“Is it a glancing blow? The arm comes across. It seems pretty innocuous,” he said on Fox Footy.

“He is not playing the ball, he is behind play and he jumps.

“I would say it is probably the wrist laterally across the jaw.

“Fingers crossed for Jordan Ridley that he is OK.”

And from the HS

Junior Rioli tried to block Essendon’s Jordan Ridley on Sunday and seemingly clipped Ridley across the head. The Crichton Medallist defender, Ridley was forced from the game with concussion. A block is a football act, but you can’t block them to the head when the ball is 40m away. In that moment, Ridley is there to chase his man and is not there to get concussed. It was much worse than what Jacob Van Rooyen did in the spoil attempt on Charlie Ballard. One was in play, the other was behind the play.

Off the ball. Real tough NOT. Intentional. High. Careless. 2-4 weeks juice boy

No, its not, only for Port supporters. Intentional because it's off the ball, high, and either high or severe impact, straight to the tribunal 3-4 weeks. No other outcome possible.

It's off the ball its intentional.

He was concussed, so it's automatically high impact as a minimum.

Which is straight to the tribunal regardless, 3+, so you're wasting your breath arguing.

He left the ground, it's intentional.

There is not one element of this charge that can be disputed except weather impact is high or severe. It's going straight to the tribunal regardless.

He deliberately swung his fist at head high. Left a bloke concussed.

Intentional, high and high.

He swung his arm, he didn't "leave it there".

3-4.
Off the ball. Left the ground. High impact. Player injured.
If it was a block gone wrong, then why did he leave the ground? When a player does that, they have no grounds to protect themselves by jumping or turning the shoulder/body into the contest.

Absolute bull.

Wasn’t off the ball, the players are in the middle of competing for the ball in the play.

Competing for the ball is not off the ball.

Was not intentional, rioli was in front of him, does not have eyes on him and only moved in front of him to block him as they all do, Ridley came into the back of rioli.

Also lol at people claiming rioli hit him with a fist or had his arm raised. Please don’t breed.

IMG_3275.png IMG_3274.jpeg

No one is saying he’s not getting games.

Of course he is: when there’s head contact and the player goes off the afl gives games.

But to claim it was intentional or rioli had his arm raised or hit him with a fist or that it was off the ball as if it was some sorry cheap shot are all wild claims by morons.

Clearly rioli went to lay a block, accidentally copped Ridley in the head with what appears to be the back of his arm / elbow and Ridley went off.

And the afl will give him games because of that. How many games who knows, it’s chook lotto. wouldn’t surprise me if they regardless of what he did or didn’t do use him as their ceremonial ‘look at how hard we are on head contact’ sacrifice only to let off someone for head high contact before finals later in the year. It’s the afl.

Absolute bull.

Wasn’t off the ball, the players are in the middle of competing for the ball in the play.

Competing for the ball is not off the ball.

Was not intentional, rioli was in front of him, does not have eyes on him and only moved in front of him to block him as they all do, Ridley came into the back of rioli.

Also lol at people claiming rioli hit him with a fist or had his arm raised. Please don’t breed.

View attachment 1681729View attachment 1681730

No one is saying he’s not getting games.

Of course he is: when there’s head contact and the player goes off the afl gives games.

But to claim it was intentional or rioli had his arm raised or hit him with a fist or that it was off the ball as if it was some sorry cheap shot are all wild claims by morons.

Clearly rioli went to lay a block, accidentally copped Ridley in the head with what appears to be the back of his arm / elbow and Ridley went off.

And the afl will give him games because of that. How many games who knows, it’s chook lotto. wouldn’t surprise me if they regardless of what he did or didn’t do use him as their ceremonial ‘look at how hard we are on head contact’ sacrifice only to let off someone for head high contact before finals later in the year. It’s the afl.
:D

The Port apologist is back with more nonsense.
See the previous post.
Of course the ball isn't in play.
You can't even see it in the pictures you posted

In the picture you posted, Rioli has left the ground.

:D

The Port apologist is back with more nonsense.
See the previous post.
Of course the ball isn't in play.
You can't even see it in the pictures you posted

In the picture you posted, Rioli has left the ground.
Can you honestly identify which part of Rioli made contact with Ridley from that footage? If he left the ground and it was a bump Ridley would be getting treatment on the right side of his jaw as that’s where Rioli was coming from. So the “leaving the ground” clause is not an issue. A trailing hand to the jaw is clearly incidental contact. It’s not a bump, it’s not a punch. It’s accidental contact to the head. He probably still gets games but this would have to be the most innocuous incident a player has been cited for this year. Football fans have lost the plot with wanting people rubbed out this year.

I know you're a Port supporter, but come on.

If it's about to be delivered, how can it be in play?
If you think thats in play, you're in Laa Laa land.

I'd take Derm's opinion over yours.

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton said Rioli got Ridley in a vulnerable position on the jaw.

“Is it a glancing blow? The arm comes across. It seems pretty innocuous,” he said on Fox Footy.

“He is not playing the ball, he is behind play and he jumps.

“I would say it is probably the wrist laterally across the jaw.

“Fingers crossed for Jordan Ridley that he is OK.”

And from the HS

Junior Rioli tried to block Essendon’s Jordan Ridley on Sunday and seemingly clipped Ridley across the head. The Crichton Medallist defender, Ridley was forced from the game with concussion. A block is a football act, but you can’t block them to the head when the ball is 40m away. In that moment, Ridley is there to chase his man and is not there to get concussed. It was much worse than what Jacob Van Rooyen did in the spoil attempt on Charlie Ballard. One was in play, the other was behind the play.
The same Dermot that says “this is a man’s game!” His opinion is gold in all aspects…

Can you honestly identify which part of Rioli made contact with Ridley from that footage? If he left the ground and it was a bump Ridley would be getting treatment on the right side of his jaw as that’s where Rioli was coming from. So the “leaving the ground” clause is not an issue. A trailing hand to the jaw is clearly incidental contact. It’s not a bump, it’s not a punch. It’s accidental contact to the head. He probably still gets games but this would have to be the most innocuous incident a player has been cited for this year. Football fans have lost the plot with wanting people rubbed out this year.
I never said he bumped or punched.
Looks like the back of his arm caught him on the jaw.

I agree it's innocuous and Rioli is stiff.
But the bottom line is, if you throw an arm back and concuss someone, you're going to get rubbed out.

The ball was 40 meters away.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Junior Rioli hit on Jordan Ridley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back