MRP / Trib. Junior Rioli hit on Jordan Ridley

Remove this Banner Ad

Screenshot_20230508-121557_Samsung Internet.jpg
In the above image Rioli and Ridley have clearly gone past each other without contact occuring.

Screenshot_20230508-121603_Samsung Internet.jpg
I think this is pretty conclusive.

Regardless.

Blind Freddy can see the ball is not in play.
It’s not regardless. You are quoting derm like his word is gospel.

Jr will get weeks. We know. It’s accepted and so he should. A player was concussed.

But this isn’t some dog act punching a guy way behind the play.

He was reckless, he hit him high, he will do his time. So why the **** are you carrying on like a pork chop?

I never said he bumped or punched.
Looks like the back of his arm caught him on the jaw.

I agree it's innocuous and Rioli is stiff.
But the bottom line is, if you throw an arm back and concuss someone, you're going to get rubbed out.

The ball was 40 meters away.
Which makes it a body block gone wrong. The same sort of action happens 100 times a game without incident. Very unlucky. Hardly the “dog act” people on here are suggesting. And if the ball isn’t in play what was Ridley doing, other than trying to get to his defender who the ball was being kicked to? Like I said, Rioli will get a week or two based on the outcome, but it’s bordering on not even a reportable offence.

It’s not regardless. You are quoting derm like his word is gospel.

Jr will get weeks. We know. It’s accepted and so he should. A player was concussed.

But this isn’t some dog act punching a guy way behind the play.

He was reckless, he hit him high, he will do his time. So why the * are you carrying on like a pork chop?
Never said it was a dog act.
Was of the opposite opinion in fact.

Just replying to some moronic Port supporters saying "no contact was made, there was nothing in it".

I know you're a Port supporter, but come on.

If it's about to be delivered, how can it be in play?
If you think thats in play, you're in Laa Laa land.

-----

A block is a football act, but you can’t block them to the head when the ball is 40m away. In that moment, Ridley is there to chase his man and is not there to get concussed. It was much worse than what Jacob Van Rooyen did in the spoil attempt on Charlie Ballard. One was in play, the other was behind the play.

As I said, forwards do a lot of their body work well before the ball is in the area. As you can clearly see, Finlayson launches for the ball moments later (and the clip is in slow motion, it was 1-2 seconds). All three players on screen are absolutely "in play" at this stage.

It's a very shallow view of football if you think "in play" is only when the ball is within 5m of the play.

Sure, if the ball was going into the Essendon 50 and he does this, then it's not in play.

Finally - I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, not one person has said he won't get weeks. He will definitely get weeks, but it will be in the 2-3 weeks range. Which of the below are you arguing?

Careless - He's clearly making a block and catches him with a trailing hand - there is no swing of the arm (the only momentum is his body itself swinging, plus Ridley running). It's an accident. Intentional only comes into play if you think he's deliberately tried to hit him. Surely even you don't believe that?

High Contact - guessing no debate here, based on the initial concern of a broken jaw, he's clearly got him high.

Impact - this could be high or severe. Given the footage shows minimal impact (the damage is caused by hitting the wrong spot rather than the force itself), it could be graded high.

With the above criteria, he gets 2 or 3 weeks for high or severe respectively.

As I said, forwards do a lot of their body work well before the ball is in the area. As you can clearly see, Finlayson launches for the ball moments later (and the clip is in slow motion, it was 1-2 seconds). All three players on screen are absolutely "in play" at this stage.

It's a very shallow view of football if you think "in play" is only when the ball is within 5m of the play.

Sure, if the ball was going into the Essendon 50 and he does this, then it's not in play.

Finally - I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, not one person has said he won't get weeks. He will definitely get weeks, but it will be in the 2-3 weeks range. Which of the below are you arguing?

Careless - He's clearly making a block and catches him with a trailing hand - there is no swing of the arm (the only momentum is his body itself swinging, plus Ridley running). It's an accident. Intentional only comes into play if you think he's deliberately tried to hit him. Surely even you don't believe that?

High Contact - guessing no debate here, based on the initial concern of a broken jaw, he's clearly got him high.

Impact - this could be high or severe. Given the footage shows minimal impact (the damage is caused by hitting the wrong spot rather than the force itself), it could be graded high.

With the above criteria, he gets 2 or 3 weeks for high or severe respectively.
I'm not arguing the penalty.
I've repeatedly said it will be between 2 or 3 weeks.
I think it's 3.

I think it's Careless, high and severe.

But some on here would try and defend Ted Bundy if he played for their side.

We will have to agree to disagree on the ball being in play I guess.

I'm not sure if it's with a his left elbow or the back of his arm TBH.
Some Morons on here blaming Ridley.

i see rioli going past, nothing happens, then half a second later... back and to the left. Ridley is clearly hit by a sniper and flings his arms up in the air and falls to the ground. Back.. and to the left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smelly-monkey-faint.gif

i see rioli going past, nothing happens, then half a second later... back and to the left. Ridley is clearly hit by a sniper and flings his arms up in the air and falls to the ground. Back.. and to the left.

There was a second shooter, behind the bushes over by the gravelly road!

If that's "severe" contact.. then.. well.. what's it called when someone actually gets hit hard?

If a bloke is subbed out have no problem it being graded severe. It’s harsh but I’m fine with it. High would be the best case and that’s generous which I doubt the MRC will be. If Van Rooyen got 2, that’s the bare minimum and he was lucky

If a bloke is subbed out have no problem it being graded severe. It’s harsh but I’m fine with it. High would be the best case and that’s generous which I doubt the MRC will be. If Van Rooyen got 2, that’s the bare minimum and he was lucky
Action vs outcome again.

The action would be low impact, there's literally nothing in it. The outcome though is a concussion through some fluke spot he's hit or the angle he's hit him at etc.

Of course the outcome needs to be factored in, but it shouldn't be the be all and end all. If it were the case, then the AFL needs to just come out and say it - if you cause a concussion, it will be graded as severe.

Putting both the action and outcome together, I would land at high.

In my mind, BOTH always need to be considered.

By that logic then Todd Marshall should have got 4 weeks for paddy mccartin getting KOed by a blade of grass.

At some point the actual impact has to come into it, not whether it's a freak accident because someone has a glass jaw.

I'm not arguing the penalty.
I've repeatedly said it will be between 2 or 3 weeks.
I think it's 3.

I think it's Careless, high and severe.

But some on here would try and defend Ted Bundy if he played for their side.

We will have to agree to disagree on the ball being in play I guess.

Port supporters are trying really hard to paint this as a freak mistake from an action that happens many times a game. But there is nothing natural about how Rioli uses his arm here. They are using terms like 'loose arm' and 'trailing hand', but it is clear Rioli intentionally raises it towards Ridley after directly looking at him. Dog act or not, it is obviously dangerous to extend an arm towards someone moving forward (momentum) and high enough to hit them on the head.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Junior Rioli hit on Jordan Ridley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back