Just how important is the pre-season comp to you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Dan26
In 1995, the Ansett Cup GF crowd between the Roos and the Crows was 39,000. Seven days later at the MCG, the same two clubs drew 24,000. Now, obviously, the Round 1 match didn't mean as much to as many people or more people would have gone, right?

Yeah, the Ansett Cup win that night was fun.....especially the "Micky is a legend" chant at the end. But be that as it may, the win in round 1 gave me much more pleasure (especially Rock being left unattended in the goalsquare to get the winning goal....not sure how we won that game though, Adelaide murdered us in general play that night). So give me the round 1 win over a pre-season GF win.

Anyway, back in '95, I remember Carey's speech after getting the trophy. He said, "It's a great win, but the real stuff starts next week". It says it all really.

Originally posted by Shinboners

Yeah, the Ansett Cup win that night was fun.....especially the "Micky is a legend" chant at the end. But be that as it may, the win in round 1 gave me much more pleasure (especially Rock being left unattended in the goalsquare to get the winning goal....not sure how we won that game though, Adelaide murdered us in general play that night). So give me the round 1 win over a pre-season GF win.

Anyway, back in '95, I remember Carey's speech after getting the trophy. He said, "It's a great win, but the real stuff starts next week". It says it all really.

Perhaps you would care to explain why more North fans went to the Ansett Cup gane, and, at least visually, were happier with that premiership than the Round one win? (in the form of celebrations anyway. Forget about the close nature of the H&A win, I'm talking in general terms)

As for the "real stuff." - Carey is right. The real stuff, however, is split over 6 months in 22 different parts. Each part itself is not that big, but the combined total is important. That would explain why more people attend the Ansett Cup Grand Final, and more people watch it than a H&A match. As a one-off premiership deciding match, it is bigger than a 1/22 match, as those crowds, and celebrations indicate.

You would know as well as anyone that the FA CUP is the biggest individual match of the English Soccer season, but the premiership itself is still the most sought after prize. I think you could safely say that Liverpool's FA Cup win over Arsenal was more celebrated than any of their wins in the premiership, even though the "premiership" as a whole is more important.

Now, the Ansett Cup isn't the FA Cup, that's for sure, but it is a premiership, it is played in front of a big crowd (proving that people care, because not as many turn up to watch Round 1) and it is more wildy celebrated than a Round 1 match, and therefore, is a more desirable win

I think that the pre season is important to a club like mine so that it helps with getting the members to sign up if they see that the club is making a good start to the year.I like it becuase it gives us a chance to see young players play a few games before the start of the season and gives them abit of confidence coming into the season when the real stuff starts.

Originally posted by topjars
In case you were wonderin...
Rd 1 Match = 32 votes
Pre season Cup = 17:)

The bums on seats at the Ansett Cup GFs compared to the H&A crowds are far more relevant, Jars.

Were you one of the Adelaide fans that came across for the GF's in 1994-95, but who didn't come across for Round 1 because Round 1 wasn't big enough?

There were tons of Crows fans at the '94 Grand Final - far more than I've ever seen at a Home and Away match.

As a Crows fan yourself, how do you explain that? Obviously those Crows fans put more value on the Ansett Cup GF than they did on the ONE home and away match, which is perfectly understandable.

Were you one of the Adelaide fans that came across for the GF's in 1994-95, but who didn't come across for Round 1 because Round 1 wasn't big enough?

There were tons of Crows fans at the '94 Grand Final - far more than I've ever seen at a Home and Away match.

As a Crows fan yourself, how do you explain that? Obviously those Crows fans put more value on the Ansett Cup GF than they did on the ONE home and away match, which is perfectly understandable.

The reason ? - He's Sowf Awstrayan !

Have you been there Dan ? There's not much else to do there on a Saturday night .

Worm,

Are you going to emerge as one of those bigfooty people that disagree with EVERYTHING I say, no matter what it is?

There are a few in the club already. Macca, Shinboners, Jars, DCFC, etc etc.

Perhaps you would care to explain why more North fans went to the Ansett Cup gane, and, at least visually, were happier with that premiership than the Round one win? (in the form of celebrations anyway. Forget about the close nature of the H&A win, I'm talking in general terms)

I can't speak for the other North fans. I'm just making a comment on my own personal preferences.

The topic is "Just how important in the pre-season competition to you?" and my answer is that winning round 1 is more important than winning the pre-season Cup. I can understand why you would prefer to win the pre-season Cup over round 1, but I can't understand why you don't seem to accept that other people would prefer to win round 1 instead of the pre-season cup.

I can't believe you would take a Round 1 victory over the Pies than an Ansett Cup GRAND FINAL victory (in front of what would be a bigger crowd.) That's insane. Don't let 'em have a premiership, mate. Trust me! If you had to be there to watch the Pies win a Grand Final over you, I can tell you right now, you'd change your mind. Round 1 games are worth 4.5% of the season - nothing really. If you lose in Round 1, you could still win the flag anyway! I think you're just saying that because you don't want to be seen to changeyour opinion, because it makes no sense for a Carlton fan to get more enjoyment out of Round 1 everyday victory over Collingwood than a GF win over them.

I most certainly am not saying that because I don't want to be seen to change my opinion. I don't give a rats about the pre-season comp, all I want to see is that we play ok, and there are no injuries. I couldn't care less if we don't win it. It's a nothing comp, with no intensity. Beating the Pies in round 1 would be far more satisfying for me because it would actually mean something. Please don't tell me what I should be thinking Dan.

Therefore, which match will you walk away from with more enjoyment? Am Ansett Cup PREMIERSHIP or a Round 1 win over the same opponent? Which win will get you into the alcohol for celebrations quicker? Which will you be more likely to buy on video? The answer is the Ansett Cup, because all retail stores sell the Ansett Cup video. They don't sell Round 1 games, because nobody wants to buy them! You have to order them from AFV! Go into a Kmart or a Target, and you won't see Round 1 games for sale, but you will see the Ansett Cup Grand Final for sale. Why? Because more people want to but it! That CANNOT be argued.

I never know for the life of me why people would want to buy one. Maybe because they view it as a good consolation prize to the real flag...I dunno. I still see the Carlton v Geelong GF from 97 in the stores (probably cos no one wants it because it is only the Ansett Cup) and think why the hell would I buy that when I can buy a home and away or finals match?

Look at 1996, when the Saints won the Ansett Cup? They celebrated that win 10 times more fervently than any H&A win over Carlton.

The saints have only won one flag so even the Ansett Cup is important to them. That's fine, I won't try and change their minds, unlike you are trying to do to people who share my view.

Don't you dare tell me that you enjoyed your Mother's day bore over Geelong this year in front of 29,000 than your win over them in the Ansett Cup GF in '97! Are you telling me your win over the Cats in 2001 was cause for more wild celebrations and "enjoyment" than a GF victroy? Get real!

It's a completely different scenario Dan (and BTW, if I wanted to tell you I enjoyed Mother's day more, I would - though I had a family dinner on the night of the 97 Ansett Cup GF and didn't go). You don't go wild over beating Geelong anymore because they are crap, and they were especially bad that day. But I wouldn't go wild at the Ansett Cup GF either. Put it this way, a win in the mother's day game, even though it was a shocker of a game, would still give me more satisfaction because it means that we are giving ourselves a better shot of making the eight, the top four, top spot or whatever may be the case.

And Dan, I can honestly assure you that I am NOT maintaining a consistent answer just because I don't want to be seen to change my mind. This is the way I feel about it and nothing will change my mind, unless the AFL says that the winner of the Ansett Cup gets an extra 8 premiership points or something like that. That I would take!

i agree Blues2001, ansett cup or whateva it is now...really means nothing to me...my friends are getting all exciuted about it but the season doesn't start until THE season starts... i don't nthink i've been to an ansett cup game and don't really fancy going... i would much prefer a round one win because i find there is nothing that could make a season start worse than a round on loss... i mean what would've happened last year if we'd lost to freo in that first game :eek: we could've been where they were:eek: MUCH prefer the round one win thanku very much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just how important is the pre-season comp to you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back