Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting article but I think McManus’s argument reads more like why he shouldn’t be extended yet. Lots of great reasons why we should succeed no doubt, but until the proof is in the results & the way the coaches are using the talent, I think an extension shouldn’t be looked at until the bye next season, at least.

Last edited:
I don't agree with McManus; the narrative SHOULD be there. Because the pressure SHOULD be there. This club has failed to succeed for numerous years; it entered a list rebuild at the end of 2016 suddenly and went into semi-freefall under Lyon until they jettisoned him in 2019.

But the past is the past. Exactly that. Justin is under pressure to get this club into finals and challenging with what looks like a capable and talented list, and that narrative should be finals or bust. He's had 5 previous season at the helm, he needs to show he can handle it and he can bottle it, and use it to energise himself; his fellow coaches, the players, and lastly, the fans....

No more excuses. It's now (2025), or it's goodbye...

Ya McManus is having laugh there surely with that argument.
Imagine we extend him and finish 10th again next year? Unthinkable.
We aren't missing the top 8 with our list people. The issue is determining if our 'success' was because of the list or coaching. I guess that will depend on how deep we go into finals.

We aren't missing the top 8 with our list people. The issue is determining if our 'success' was because of the list or coaching. I guess that will depend on how deep we go into finals.
Nothing less than a top 4 finish and winning 1 final.

We were only two games from making top 4 this past season. 4th Youngest squad with Bolton coming into the side.

I don’t understand why so many are advocating for another 1 year extension. Yeah you know that thing we did this year that didn’t work and ended up being totally pointless, yeah let’s do that again next year - and while we’re at it, would you mind reminding me what the definition of insanity is?

A good coach is a good coach not due to an absence of pressure, but in spite of the pressure. If JL can’t handle the pressure of expectations in a contract year then that proves he isn’t the man for the job. We can’t just keep giving out these little time-biding faux extensions that scream “we don’t have confidence in you, but we don’t have the balls to make the tough decision and sack you either”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think McManus’s argument reads more like why he shouldn’t be extended yet.

Not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion. He verbatim says “If I was the club I would extend by a year just to get rid of that narrative. I just can’t see how they can’t have a good year.” Which I think is a ridiculous statement.

I think an extension shouldn’t be looked at until the bye next season, at least.

Strongly disagree, an extension shouldn’t even be considered until the end of the season. Extensions midway through the season aren’t a good idea, just ask Port fans. What happens if we have a similar season to this year, where we are top 4 midway through the year, extend JL, then crash out late and miss finals altogether again? Then we’ve re-signed a coach who’s made finals once in 6 years.

A top-6 finish, ideally top-4, and winning a final should be the minimum for JL to remain coach in 2026. I still argue that should have been the expectation this year.

I don't agree with McManus; the narrative SHOULD be there. Because the pressure SHOULD be there. This club has failed to succeed for numerous years; it entered a list rebuild at the end of 2016 suddenly and went into semi-freefall under Lyon until they jettisoned him in 2019.

But the past is the past. Exactly that. Justin is under pressure to get this club into finals and challenging with what looks like a capable and talented list, and that narrative should be finals or bust. He's had 5 previous season at the helm, he needs to show he can handle it and he can bottle it, and use it to energise himself; his fellow coaches, the players, and lastly, the fans....

No more excuses. It's now (2025), or it's goodbye...
"Excuses" aren't a thing. Something either impacts performance or it doesn't. And that's down to evidence.

Overloading the pressure index does not aid performance, in fact it does the opposite.

That said, we are fairly well primed to make a major assault on the premiership next year, but we do so with a lot of reliance on youth. Outcomes aren't the only consideration.

If the stars align health-wise for the squad it would definitely put Longmuir on think ice should we not perform at a close or anove a top-4 level.

Longmuir will have a lot of scope with those with good footy knowledge within the club. But boards, like fans, can get itchy trigger fingers... and they're the ones who pull out the guillotines.

I didn't, KPFs were too young and no small forwards. Lots of positives though with the emergence of Young and Draper. Just need Amiss, Jackson and Johnson are the key players that need to improve next year.

I would add Darcy to the must improve list too (get fit) Cox needs to be fit and could use some urgency in general. Clark needs to be more disciplined at times.
There is still plenty of improvement left in most of our players under 27yo.
There is plenty of upside from the players within the team and the coach hopefully can make the most of the talent available to him. 2025 top 4 or bust for JLo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back