Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a lot should be determined on the character of the wins and if the team can get good consistency for me. Beating the Sydney’s and Brisbanes next year but losing to the west coasts / Norths of the world by 30 points, limping into the finals and scrounging a win doesn’t cut it.
The team is mature enough and importantly good enough for the right coach to elicit strong results against the whole comp now *(insert injury caveat). Maturing teams are consistent - I want to see that before an extension is considered.

I agree
I highly doubt Serong would be making excuses
Freo are good enough for top 4

I agree
I highly doubt Serong would be making excuses
Freo are good enough for top 4
I think freo in 2025 are good enough to make finals.

Top 4 is a bit of a stretch.

gotta get at least 15 or 16 wins minimum for top 4.

I can see freo in 2025 get 5th to 8th at best

It's a long season. I guess the danger is people wanting a sacking if there's a less than 50/50 W/L start. Brisbane's 2024 start was 2W, 5L at Round 8.

Good grief. Fagan had his team playing finals every year 2019-2023, culminating in a grand final loss by a kick. Yeah, might be a reason to have cut him a bit more slack than our champion

Last edited:
I think a lot should be determined on the character of the wins and if the team can get good consistency for me. Beating the Sydney’s and Brisbanes next year but losing to the west coasts / Norths of the world by 30 points, limping into the finals and scrounging a win doesn’t cut it.
The team is mature enough and importantly good enough for the right coach to elicit strong results against the whole comp now *(insert injury caveat). Maturing teams are consistent - I want to see that before an extension is considered.
I'd even go so far as to say with our depth, even the injury caveat short of a catastrophic failure, we should still be able to scrounge together comfortable wins.

I don't think we have a line where, even if we are missing a genuine superstar, we can't cover them with a servicable replacement.

If we want to have a decent shot at winning a premiership you're being too easy on Jlo and the team.
Finishing 7/8 means no finals win.
We need to do better than that.
Barring something unforseen then Top 6 is minimum required.
Top 4 would be a great finish indicating we are on track.
If we actually win the premiership then I am prepared to go out on a limb and suggest JLo will not get the boot.
I share your thought that we should be looking at a top 6 finish at a minimum, based on the quality of our list.

But in the situation where we finish 7th or 8th, i can’t see the board jettisoning JL after having made finals.

Genuine question, has a coach ever been sacked at the end of a finals season?

I share your thought that we should be looking at a top 6 finish at a minimum, based on the quality of our list.

But in the situation where we finish 7th or 8th, i can’t see the board jettisoning JL after having made finals.

Genuine question, has a coach ever been sacked at the end of a finals season?
Thompson left cats end of 2010, was he pushed or did he jump? Official line was he jumped but who really knows other than inner sanctum at the cats.

Thompson left cats end of 2010, was he pushed or did he jump? Official line was he jumped but who really knows other than inner sanctum at the cats.
Cats have a history with that, Malcolm Blight's last game he coached for Geelong was a Grand Final loss, but wad he sacked or did he resign?

Only recent coach I can think of that was sacked after making finals was Grant Thomas

I imagine he jumped. I don't think he came off the tracks after Geelong. I think to save his reputation they let him jump and buried what they knew.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's melting? You just made a ridiculous comparison

Sure, you're not melting. Maybe I should give you some credit for going the sarcastic "champ" route as an upgrade to calling him "mumbles" for the past couple of years. Your views are pretty clear and previously stated that he's already failed.

I didn't compare Longmuir to Fagan. I said a season was long and that an early scenario of a win/loss ratio of less than 50/50 can be turned around. I could have used the example of Mitchell at Hawthorn who was 0W 5L this year, or Kingsley at GWS who was 3W 7L after Round 10 last year.

I'm not calling for Longmuir's contract to be extended before the season starts, but I don't think the fact that he was given an extension at the start of last year saved his position. If they wanted to sack him they would have, but my guess is that they considered that a 12W 1D 10L season wasn't a failure.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back