Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine he jumped. I don't think he came off the tracks after Geelong. I think to save his reputation they let him jump and buried what they knew.
He's since admitted he would fall asleep and not show up for meetings etc. Geelong covered extremely well for him. I didn't seem to be broadly known or rumoured that he had fallen as hard as he did.

Micro managers.

Players should be empowered to make those decisions on field for themselves. Only way to achieve long term success even if it takes a little longer to learn or a different coach is appointed.
Could be. Or could be coaches wanting to collaborate with their players face-to-face to hear what's happening inside the white lines. I coach from the bench in Premier games and State games. Really helps. Doesn't have to result in a loss of empowerment of player decision making at all if done correctly.

Sure, you're not melting. Maybe I should give you some credit for going the sarcastic "champ" route as an upgrade to calling him "mumbles" for the past couple of years. Your views are pretty clear and previously stated that he's already failed.

I didn't compare Longmuir to Fagan. I said a season was long and that an early scenario of a win/loss ratio of less than 50/50 can be turned around. I could have used the example of Mitchell at Hawthorn who was 0W 5L this year, or Kingsley at GWS who was 3W 7L after Round 10 last year.

I'm not calling for Longmuir's contract to be extended before the season starts, but I don't think the fact that he was given an extension at the start of last year saved his position. If they wanted to sack him they would have, but my guess is that they considered that a 12W 1D 10L season wasn't a failure.
Well you could have said all sorts of things. But unless you think people can read your mind, they can only comment on what you did say. And what you did say compared him to Fagan. But I gather you're now walking back from that comparison. Good.

As Fages said in his post match; ”Our words are, as a general rule, filled by the people to whom we address them with a meaning which those people derive from their own substance, a meaning widely different from that which we had put into the same words when we uttered them.”

As Fages said in his post match; ”Our words are, as a general rule, filled by the people to whom we address them with a meaning which those people derive from their own substance, a meaning widely different from that which we had put into the same words when we uttered them.”
At first I thought 'how poetic' and then I re-read it and thought 'senile old man' 😂

when I first read the feeder club’s response to you post, i thought to myself that there is irrefutable evidence of the idea that interpretation is a creative act. Thought about posting something to that effect but figured I’d come across as wanky, so thank you, Fagan.

Well you could have said all sorts of things. But unless you think people can read your mind, they can only comment on what you did say. And what you did say compared him to Fagan. But I gather you're now walking back from that comparison. Good.
I assume you are very happy with the off-season and how the playing group love JL?

He doesn't seem inspirational and we struggle in first quarters.

We have lost games to teams we shouldn't in successive years, Kangas and WCE. Those were unforgivable in both seasons.

Losing from 25 up in the last quarter against a poor team in Essendon. Terrible loss. Made worse by our set up at centre bounces, 4 in a row with no one on the defensive side. Dumb from the coach and the players. And some of my favourites were in there.

We don't finish top 5 this year we must move him on. I say top five because if we finish 5th and win 15 games I would accept that. We would need to win through to a prelim and at least give it a shake.
Zero players left, 1 desperate to come. Good result would you say? Gotta hand it to the coach. They really play for him.

The proof was in the pudding. End thread?

Zero players left, 1 desperate to come. Good result would you say? Gotta hand it to the coach. They really play for him.

Im not a JL hater but your reasoning is very unsound

You didn't address a single point.

• Slow starts
  • Losing games to bottom clubs each of the last two seasons
  • Losing from 25 up in the fourth quarter to a bottom team, while having terrible CB set ups 4x in a row.
  • Number of wins or finishing place end of 2025

You were 0-4

But sure, end thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Slow starts
  • Losing from 25 up in the fourth quarter to a bottom team, while having terrible CB set ups 4x in a row.

You were 0-4

But sure, end thread.

Too many times this season we lost on Thursday night selection meeting.
Is J chairman of the match committee ?
Whooda thought we could come up with Tabs and Voss as change ruck combo in the Geelong game ? FMD.

• Slow starts

You were 0-4

But sure, end thread.
ahhh. We were happy with the mass exodus. Sorry. I just assumed retaining players because they want to play under JL was a good thing.

But sure, 1-1

ahhh. We were happy with the mass exodus. Sorry. I just assumed retaining players because they want to play under JL was a good thing.

But sure, 1-1

You are arguing a point I never made and now have continued that argument.

Why players leave or stay is based on more than just the coach, but I agree it is positive and JL should get some credit for that.

Now, do you want to address the other 4 points I made?

Too many times this season we lost on Thursday night selection meeting.
Is J chairman of the match committee ?
Whooda thought we could come up with Tabs and Voss as change ruck combo in the Geelong game ? FMD.

Selection was a disaster for long stretches of the season. It is obvious that Jackson gets worn down playing first ruck. He might be able to do it effectively one off against the right opposition, but more than that and it is detrimental. Tabs in was also foolish, he has been finished for a couple of years now. And how the hell we think Voss is a better option than a legit ruck playing wafl is beyond me.

It must improve this year.

We were well overdue an off-season where we didn't lose anyone we wanted to keep.

Bit of a stretch to tie it to Longmuir. Proof of the players' commitment will play out next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back