Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been weighing up two hypotheticals, who from the Lyon Era do you think Longmuir would play/not play and vice versa, who from the Longmuir Era would get more of a go/less of a go under Lyon?

I've been weighing up two hypotheticals, who from the Lyon Era do you think Longmuir would play/not play and vice versa, who from the Longmuir Era would get more of a go/less of a go under Lyon?

RTB would have played Brodie over Johnson.

We were 3rd this year with a month to play. A lot depends on our key players staying fit but top 4 is definitely the goal.

If we get 13 games at Optus then 11 wins should be the goal then we only need to win every 2nd away game for top 4.
Ah I wish it was as easy as it was from 1995 to 2010 when it was 8 finals spots for 16 clubs

12 wins was enough to make finals. Win 8 or 9 or 10 games at home. Then 2 or 3 or 4 games away from home vs bottom 6 sides.

Again.... Yep we were top 4 with 4 games left but slipped. Typical Freo thing to happen.

We never get good luck. Bad luck drops on our way most of the time.

I have no issues with the dockers losing the occasional home game or 2. We must aim for 10 wins or even 9 wins minimum. Then win 3 or 4 away wins.

When Freo made finals in 2022, we got 15 wins and a draw from 22 games.

Weird that Freo lost 4 games at home. Saints were bad, but we pummeled them at Docklands later in the season. Demons, magpies and swans all made top 4. So no shame in that.

But those 7 away wins. Some were good. Beating the crows, demons and saints were good.

We got a draw vs Richmond in a weird low scoring game. That game in my opinion was Hayden Youngs break through game.

Brisbane won the flag from 5th spot with 14 wins and a draw.

Regardless of our fixture, 14 wins can be done. Need some luck though

Will Broadie would of got games over Johnson.

I think Tom Emmett would of got games often.

I think Darcy Tucker would still get games as a rotating or depth player.

Ross Lyon tactics would mean blokes aged 23 to 27 who are C grade players would get games over the talented 18 or 19 or 20 year olds.

So.... If this was 2022 when the dockers made finals...

Do you think guys from the 2019 draft like Frederick, Serong, Henry and Hayden Young be playing almost every game? More likely be playing every 2nd game.

Ross Lyon tactics would mean blokes aged 23 to 27 who are C grade players would get games over the talented 18 or 19 or 20 year olds.

Do you think guys from the 2019 draft like Frederick, Serong, Henry and Hayden Young be playing almost every game? More likely be playing every 2nd game.
RTB's strength is also his weakness.

He gets average lists to perform above average therefore the team doesn't get the replenishment in the draft it needs.

RTB would win the flag in 2025 at Freo.

RTB's strength is also his weakness.

He gets average lists to perform above average therefore the team doesn't get the replenishment in the draft it needs.

RTB would win the flag in 2025 at Freo.
Yeah well that is true. Our finals run from 2012 to 2015 we at least made the semi finals minimum.

Just shows you how good Ross Lyon tactics were in that period.

Makes it even more impressive when you mentioned every 1st round pick from 2007 to 2014.

In a league of 18 sides. Top 6 means pick 13 or 14 as the earliest pick. Then father son picks , free agent compensation and NSW and Queensland academy picks come in.

West coast didn't get one top 10 pick from 2014 to 2021. They finished 9th in 2014 and 2021. That means pick 11 at the earliest.

West coast made finals each year from 2015 to 2020.

Regardless of what happens, I don't care if the dockers make finals for 3 years in a row from 2025 to 2027. I don't care if we finish 5th or 6th each year with 3 home Elim finals wins in a row. I just want some finals success for this long suffering fan base.

Agree. There's also no universe Lyon doesn't keep Young as a defender. When Cox went down he most likely moves Treacy back and Taberner comes in.

Feel like Hughes would have been one of those unshakeable Ross favourites too. Probably would have preferred to go in undersized with Hughes + Ryan + Chappy all rotating on a KPF than brought in Draper.

I also don't think Walters and Freddy would be getting away with their current number of tackles. Which I don't personally mind—you can only sprint so many times in a game, and I'd prefer those sprints to be offensive. But I know Ross would have wanted defensive sprints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back