Juzzo's Mock National/PSD/Rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

juzzo

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Edit: I've now updated to greater reflect who I think they will select rather than who they should, taking into account recent media speculation. I've also added a Pre-Season and Rookie draft.

I don't get to see much junior football but I've read a fair bit about this crop from various sources and this is what I came up with. This is my first one so feedback is encouraged, any blatant mistakes? Skip to bottom to see your club's selections.

Round 1
1 GWS Lachlan Whitfield
Elite runner with good skills, a unanimous choice as #1

2 GWS Jimmy Toumpas
If they stick to their word about taking best available they should take Toumpas.

3 GWS Lachlan Plowman
Not 3rd best, but word is pretty strong they like him here. Maybe they do rate him 3rd best but he suits their needs anyway. O'Rourke and Menzel also in the mix.

4 Melbourne Oliver Wines
Need to find more ball-winners and Wines can do just that. Will form an impressive combination with his mate Viney.

5 Western Bulldogs Jonathan O'Rourke
The bulldogs will basically take whoever the Giants don't. His class will compliment their midfield grunt.

6 Western Bulldogs Troy Menzel
Initially thought to slide, it seems his knee is no longer an issue. More class and importantly for the bulldogs another avenue to goal. Stringer an outside chance here.

7 Port Adelaide Brodie Grundy
Too good to pass up here, especially as a local lad. Lobbe and Redden are promising but Grundy is a sure bet. Mayes also a chance.

8 Brisbane Kristian Jaksch
Will allow Merret to return to defense and has the ominous task of replacing Brown long-term. Macrae also a chance.

9 Richmond Nick Vlastuin
Tigers seem to like him, has that hardness that Hardwick loves.

10 Essendon Joe Daniher
Father-son pick.

11 Carlton Jackson Macrae
Probably would've liked Jaksch but instead went for best available.

12 GWS Sam Mayes
Best available and gives them something different rather than a pure mid.

13 Gold Coast Josh Simpson
A Scott Clayton special, word is pretty strong on this one. Lonergan also a chance.

14 GWS Aidan Corr
Far from best available but defense is their weak spot if there is one. Seems to have shot ahead of Clurey.

15 North Melbourne Ben Kennedy
Lacking in smalls with recent departures and Harvey coming to the end.

16 Geelong Jake Stringer
Often get the best slider and they have liked him for a while.

17 Fremantle Jessie Lonergan
Need KPP's but best available for now.

18 Collingwood Nathan Hrovat
The pies learnt through Blair that height isn't an issue and will be keen to draft players that can perform from day one.

19 Collingwood Taylor Garner
Exciting half forward.

20 Adelaide Tim O'Brien
Was looking for a defender but O'Brien is better value here as a local boy who can play the Tippett role.

21 Collingwood Tim Membrey
Could be used forward providing competition with Paine or perhaps as a long term successor to Luke Ball.

22 Western Bulldogs Sam Colqhoun
Continuing their need for good ball users Colquhoun is the perfect replacement for Bob Murphy.

23 Sydney Nicholas Graham
Strong contested midfielder seems to fit the Sydney philosophy.

Round 2
24 Brisbane Nathan Wright
Speedy half back flanker.

25 St.Kilda Tom Clurey
Saints will be stoked to get Clurey as the KPD they've desperately wanted.

26 St.Kilda Dayle Garlett
Whispers are his off-field issues are worse than anticipated and St.Kilda are one of only a few to show interest.

27 Melbourne Jack Viney
Father-son pick.

28 GWS Jackson Thurlow
Tazwegian made me do it. Could do with a small forward but none are worth it here. Again gives them something different to their plethora of mids.

29 Hawthorn Tanner Smith
Have lost Gilham and Murphy. Lake and Gibson won't be around forever.

30 Port Adelaide Mason Wood
Could play as a third tall or an Isaac Smith type wingman.

31 Port Adelaide Tim Broomhead
Versatile SA boy.

32 Richmond Liam McBean
Flexible athletic tall that can play either end as well as pinch hit in the ruck.

33 Brisbane Dean Towers
After the success of Zorko won't be shy to take another speedy mature-ager to add depth to their midfield.

34 Richmond Adam Carter
A small defender with good skills capable of taking Chris Newman's role.

35 Essendon Ben Jacobs
Are supposedly keen to spoil North Melbourne's party.

36 Carlton Mason Shaw
Very happy to see Shaw slide to them after missing out on Jaksch.

37 Fremantle Kamdyn McIntosh
Disappointed not to get Shaw but happy to take a local KPD to replace McPharlin.

38 North Melbourne Jack Hannath
After missing out on Jacobs, their second priority is to add to their suddenly thin ruck stocks.

39 Collingwood Andrew Boston
Best available. Pies need a ruckman but will look to the PSD or delisted free agency to solve that.

40 Fremantle Brant Colledge
Finally look to secure a local KPF.

41 St.Kilda Nick Rodda
Another KPD should ensure the Saints defense is healthy for years to come.

42 North Melbourne Rory Atkins
Best available.

43 Richmond Jason Pongracic
Another mid/fwd Hardwick type.

44 St.Kilda Samuel Lowrie
Need some quality mids too.

45 Sydney Spencer White
Can afford to take the punt on him hoping to form a dangerous combination with Sam Reid.

Round 3
46 West Coast Harry Marsh
Need a KPD if they lose both Glass and Brown.

47 Sydney Jarrod Lienert
Tallish defender for post Grundy & Richards.

48 North Melbourne Marco Paparone
Petrie is getting on and though a different style of forward could be his replacement.

49 Melbourne Daniel Currie
I don't rate any of their young rucks, they need capable back up if Jamar goes down.

50 Western Bulldogs Lachie Hunter
Father-son pick.

51 Western Bulldogs Michael Close
Key defender with ability to go forward.

52 Essendon Dean Kent
Desperately need inside mids to help Jobe Watson.

53 Melbourne Anthony Tipungwuti
Need some flair and skill to go with the grunt they've picked up.

54 Adelaide Nick Joyce
Adelaide taking no chances here and will make sure Joyce stays put.

55 Essendon Tom Temay
Disciplined small defender to play McVeigh's role.

56 Carlton Brodie Murdoch
Another forward but more of a third tall.

57 Gold Coast Sam Lonergan
Have indicated they're after more experience and need inside mids.

58 North Melbourne Taylor Hine
North add another youngster with potential.

59 Gold Coast Kyal Horsley
Rookie Ugrade.

60 Gold Coast Clay Cameron
Zone Selection.

61 West Coast Marvin Warrell
Leon Davis clone also from WA.

62 West Coast Sean Lynch
Unfashionable but can find and deliver the ball off half back.

63 North Melbourne Cameron Banfield
Versatile defender.

64 Adelaide Ian Callinan
Rookie Upgrade.

65 GWS Nick Lower
Apparently aren't going to use this pick though I'm not sure why as that will give them 2 free spots. Perhaps there is another free agent they have their eyes on. In any case Lower was very unlucky to be cut and will take some heat off their young mids.

66 Sydney Sam Siggins
Further bolstering their back stocks.

67 Sydney Matthew McDonough
Small but strong forward who finds the goals time and time again.

Round 4
68 Hawthorn Leigh Osborne
Yep 2 Osbornes. Perfect fit for Hawthorn and Clarkson's penchant for left footers.

69 GWS
Pass.

70 Melbourne Shane Nelson
Speedy midfielder.

71 Carlton
Pass. I think the blues might run with just the 38 players next year in order to allow Bell and Curnow to play without hassle.

72 Hawthorn Michael Osborne
Only having 3 picks means they must re-draft Osborne here.

73 Melbourne Daniel Nicholson
Rookie Upgrade.

74 Melbourne Michael Evans
Rookie upgrade.

75 Essendon Jacob Ballard
Hard running midfielder/defender.

76 Carlton
Pass.

77 St.Kilda
Pass.

78 North Melbourne Majak Daw
Rookie upgrade

79 Geelong Matthew Dick
Medium defender to replace Hunt/Enright

80 Fremantle Lee Spurr
Rookie upgrade

81 West Coast Brad Dick
Rookie upgrade

82 Collingwood
Pass.

83 Port Adelaide
Pass.

Round 5
84 GWS Sam Frost
Rookie upgrade.

85 Western Bulldogs Sam Iles
Too good not to be on a list, will help the dogs young midfield.

86 Port Adelaide Tom Jonas
Rookie upgrade.

87 Brisbane Jack Crisp
Rookie upgrade.

88 Richmond
Pass.

89 Essendon Matthew Haynes
Utility with speed to burn.

90 Carlton Zac Tuohy
Rookie upgrade.

91 St.Kilda Sam Dunell
Rookie upgrade.

92 North Melbourne Aaron Mullett
Rookie upgrade.

93 Geelong Jesse Stringer
Rookie upgrade.

94 Fremantle Clancee Pearce
Rookie upgrade.

95 Collingwood Marley Williams
Rookie Upgrade.

96 Sydney Jason Ashby
Rookie upgrade.

Round 6
97 GWS Andrew Phillips
Rookie Upgrade.

98 Western Bulldogs Tom Campbell
Rookie Upgrade.

99 Brisbane Nial McKeever
Rookie upgrade.

100 Richmond
Pass.

101 Essendon Tom Fields
Technically a father-son pick though they planned to rookie him before committing to Steinberg.

102 Carlton Levi Casboult
Rookie upgrade.

103 North Melbourne Sam Gibson
Rookie upgrade.

104 Sydney
Pass.

Round 7
105 Western Bulldogs Jason Johannisen
Rookie upgrade.

106 Essendon Mark Baguley
Rookie upgrade.

107 Sydney Harry Cunningham
Rookie upgrade.

Delisted Free Agency
Richmond Cameron Wood
With 2 spots vacant Wood may get his 3rd chance as Coburg's #1

Collingwood Mark Seaby
Not sure this is likely to happen but they are leaving a spot free and must be planning on bringing in a ruckman.

Pre-Season Draft
1 GWS Tippett
If they can afford him they'll take him. At the very least will be worth it for the publicity and trade value alone.

2 Port Adelaide Liam Jurrah
These are the sorts of risks you can afford to take in the PSD.

3 Richmond Josh Toy
Showed too much as a junior not to be given a second chance closer to home.

4 Carlton
Pass.

5 St.Kilda Dylan Roberton
Has some potential, a good pick up for the Saints.

6 Sydney Ricky Petterd
Disappointed to miss out on Tippett but turn their attention to finding more hidden treasure as is the Sydney way.

7 Carlton
Pass.

Rookie Draft
Round 1
1 GWS Max Duffy
Mercurial forward.

2 Gold Coast Kyle Martin
Another strong mature-aged mid will round out their midfield nicely.

3 Melbourne Emmanuel Irra
Raw but exciting prospect.

4 Port Adelaide Hayden Jolly
Former sun gets his second chance.

5 Brisbane Patrick Wilson
Half back flanker.

6 Richmond Louis Herbert
Medium forward.

7 Essendon Ariel Steinberg
Gets a second chance as a rookie.

8 Carlton Josh Saunders
Speedy midfielder

9 North Melbourne Josh Scott
Tall forward.

10 Fremantle Laine Wilkins
Athletic forward.

11 West Coast Alex Howson
Local KPD.

12 Collingwood Will Hams
Attacking small defender.

13 Adelaide Harley Montgomery
Small defender.

14 Hawthorn Tullio Dematteis
Quick half forward

15 Sydney Darcy Fort
Project ruckman

Round 2
16 GWS Jarrod Stokes
Small forward.

17 Gold Coast Ben Kearns
Medium forward/mid.

18 Melbourne Myke Cook
Mature-aged midfielder to help their kids.

19 Port Adelaide Joel Tippett
Mature-aged full back.

20 Brisbane Aliir Aliir
Zone selection, however their B list is full.

21 Richmond Jackson Ramsay
Medium defender.

22 Carlton Andrew Collins
Thought he showed a bit this year, should get another chance.

23 North Melbourne Chris Deluca-Cardillo
Strong small forward.

24 Fremantle Ben Saunders
Mature medium forward.

25 West Coast Cameron Symonds
Local ruckman.

26 Collingwood Tom Langdon
Tall defender.

27 Adelaide Tim Klaosen (Category B)
Basketballer.

28 Hawthorn Ciaran Kilkenny (Category B)
Gaelic footballer.

29 Sydney Steven Baldasso
Medium forward.

Round 3
30 GWS Shannon Taylor
Small forward.

31 Gold Coast Tim Sumner
Speedy forward.

32 Brisbane Jordan Bourke (Category B)
Zone selection. Tall forward.

33 Richmond Gideon Simon (Category B)
Small from Papua New Guinea.

34 North Melbourne Cameron Richardson
Gets a second chance as a rookie.

35 Fremantle Craig Moller (Category B)
NSW scholarship elevation. Athletic project ruckman.

36 Collingwood Jake Calvert
Tall forward.

37 Adelaide Jack Osborn (Category B)
Basketballer.

38 Sydney Brad Hartman
Medium forward.

Round 4
39 GWS Nathan Stark
Small midfielder.

40 Gold Coast Jake McKenzie
Versatile defender joins his brother.

41 Collingwood James Stewart
Father-son pick. Versatile KPP.

42 Sydney Thomas Tyquin
Skillful utility.

Round 5
43 GWS Eric Wallace (Category B)
Basketballer.

44 Gold Coast Brian Coleman-Broome (Category B)
Zone selection. Speedy forward.

45 Collingwood Ben Richmond (Category B)
Basketballer.

46 Sydney Daniel Robinson (Category B)
NSW scholarship elevation.

Round 6
47 Sydney Liam Flaherty (Category B)
Zone selection. Tall forward.

Round 7
48 Sydney Brandon Jack (Category B)
Zone selection. Speedy midfielder joins his brother.

Club by Club

Adelaide: Tim O'Brien, Nick Joyce, Ian Callinan, Harley Montgomery, Tim Klaosen(rookie), Jack Osborn(rookie)

Brisbane: Kristian Jaksch, Nathan Wright, Dean Towers, Nial McKeever, Jack Crisp, Patrick Wilson(rookie), Aliir Aliir(rookie), Jordan Bourke(rookie)

Carlton: Jackson Macrae, Mason Shaw, Brodie Murdoch, Zach Tuohy, Levi Casboult, Josh Saunders(rookie), Andrew Collins(rookie)

Collingwood: Nathan Hrovat, Taylor Garner, Tim Membrey, Andrew Boston, Marley Williams, Mark Seaby, Will Hams(rookie), Tom Langdon(rookie), Jake Calvert(rookie), James Stewart(rookie), Ben Richmond(rookie)

Essendon: Joe Daniher, Ben Jacobs, Dean Kent, Tom Temay, Jacob Ballard, Matthew Haynes, Tom Fields, Mark Baguley, Ariel Steinberg(rookie)

Fremantle: Jessie Lonergan, Kamdyn McIntosh, Brant Colledge, Lee Spurr, Clancee Pearce, Laine Wilkins(rookie), Ben Saunders(rookie), Craig Moller(rookie)

Geelong: Jake Stringer, Matthew Dick, Jesse Stringer

Gold Coast: Josh Simpson, Sam Lonergan, Kyal Horsley, Clay Cameron, Kyle Martin(rookie), Ben Kearns(rookie), Tim Sumner(rookie), Jake McKenzie(rookie), Brian Coleman-Broome(rookie)

GWS: Lachlan Whitfield, Jimmy Toumpas, Lachlan Plowman, Sam Mayes, Aidan Corr, Jackson Thurlow, Nick Lower, Sam Frost, Andrew Phillips, Kurt Tippett, Max Duffy(rookie), Jarrod Stokes(rookie), Shannon Taylor(rookie), Nathan Stark(rookie), Eric Wallace(rookie)

Hawthorn: Tanner Smith, Leigh Osborne, Michael Osborne, Tullio Dematteis(rookie), Ciaran Kilkenny(rookie)

Melbourne: Oliver Wines, Jack Viney, Daniel Currie, Anthony Tipungwuti, Shane Nelson, Michael Evans, Daniel Nicholson, Emmanuel Irra(rookie), Myke Cook(rookie),

North Melbourne: Ben Kennedy, Jack Hannath, Rory Atkins, Marco Paparone, Taylor Hine, Cameron Banfield, Majak Daw, Aaron Mullett, Sam Gibson, Josh Scott(rookie), Chris Deluca-Cardillo(rookie), Cameron Richardson(rookie)

Port Adelaide: Brodie Grundy, Mason Wood, Tim Broomhead, Tom Jonas, Liam Jurrah, Hayden Jolly(rookie), Joel Tippett(rookie)

Richmond: Nick Vlastuin, Liam McBean, Adam Carter, Jason Pongracic, Cameron Wood, Josh Toy, Louis Herbert(rookie), Jackson Ramsay(rookie), Gideon Simon(rookie)

St.Kilda: Tom Clurey, Dayle Garlett, Nick Rodda, Samuel Lowrie, Sam Dunell, Dylan Roberton

Sydney: Nicholas Graham, Spencer White, Jarrod Lienert, Sam Siggins, Matthew McDonough, Jason Ashby, Harry Cunningham, Ricky Petterd, Darcy Fort(rookie), Steven Baldasso(rookie), Brad Hartman(rookie), Thomas Tyquin(rookie), Daniel Robinson(rookie), Liam Flaherty(rookie), Brandon Jack(rookie)

West Coast: Harry Marsh, Marvin Warrell, Sean Lynch, Brad Dick, Alex Howson(rookie), Cameron Symonds(rookie),

Western Bulldogs: Jonathan O'Rourke, Troy Menzel, Sam Colquhoun, Lachie Hunter, Michael Close, Sam Iles, Tom Campbell, Jason Johannisen

Good stuff mate but at pick 34, I would probably go for Brodie Murdoch of Carter. Murdoch could also run through the midfield which gives us more depth.

Carlton are taking three players at the least. They won't be passing on #56 and may yet use #71.

Happy with Macrae and Broomhead. Will take a mid before a KPP whichever way
Good effort. We will most likely be using pick 51 as a live pick though.
pick 55 is live for us, then Baugley will be upgraded with pick 75.

other than that, I like it
Thanks for the comments. It does feel a little too early to be passing, but by my calculations more delistments would need to be made?

Thanks for the comments. It does feel a little too early to be passing, but by my calculations more delistments would need to be made?
I don't think so for us.

Out: Gilbee, Hargrave, Djerrkura, Mulligan, Moles, Sherman, Panos, Hill, Hooper
In: Hunter, Young, Stevens, Campbell, Johannison

So we've got 4 spots. 5, 6, 22, 51.
Unless we go into the PSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good job.

In terms of Freo and your draft, I think we'd continue on the same theme as your first two picks and take Colledge at 40 rather than taking Temay and overlooking Colledge. But as you say, we may want to replace Broughton. I guess it depends on why we traded him, was it because we see the squad has enough options at half back or was it because we didn't rate Broughton?

I don't think so for us.

Out: Gilbee, Hargrave, Djerrkura, Mulligan, Moles, Sherman, Panos, Hill, Hooper
In: Hunter, Young, Stevens, Campbell, Johannison

So we've got 4 spots. 5, 6, 22, 51.
Unless we go into the PSD.
Right you are. You even forgot Lake so you should have 5 spots.

Where would you see Stewart and Bourke
Both could easily be drafted, the latter rounds are a bit of a lottery. If not Collingwood might rookie him under new father-son rules. I was thinking Brisbane might take Bourke with a later pick but had to make room for their upgrades.

Good effort.

But I think some people forget that drafting never occurs with an eye on the next season. You suggest we would select Paparone and bring him in as the immediate second tall, ahead of Darling? Darling played as the primary forward throughout 2012 and kicked 51 goals, and while yes he is better suited to the third tall role, WC would hardly draft Paparone with the intention of bringing him in to play FF. Fraser McInnes and Scott Lycett are likely to crack a few games next season anyway, so I see no real need for Pap.

Not trying to knock your opinion, just trying to provide some constructive criticism. Also, neither Weedon or Neates were actually small forwards however Warrell would be a decent selection there, just being pedantic.

Good effort.

But I think some people forget that drafting never occurs with an eye on the next season. You suggest we would select Paparone and bring him in as the immediate second tall, ahead of Darling? Darling played as the primary forward throughout 2012 and kicked 51 goals, and while yes he is better suited to the third tall role, WC would hardly draft Paparone with the intention of bringing him in to play FF. Fraser McInnes and Scott Lycett are likely to crack a few games next season anyway, so I see no real need for Pap.

Not trying to knock your opinion, just trying to provide some constructive criticism. Also, neither Weedon or Neates were actually small forwards however Warrell would be a decent selection there, just being pedantic.
No, not next year. I still think Cox has 2 years left in him, so it will be him, Kennedy and Darling as the 3 talls for the immediate future. I've also heard plenty of doubts from WC supporters over Lycett, though he should get first crack at it. Didn't know about Weedon and Neates were they more midfield types?

No, not next year. I still think Cox has 2 years left in him, so it will be him, Kennedy and Darling as the 3 talls for the immediate future. I've also heard plenty of doubts from WC supporters over Lycett, though he should get first crack at it. Didn't know about Weedon and Neates were they more midfield types?

Lycett has struggled to have a massive impact at AFL level, but having said that he was an 18/19 year old ruckman when he had those 3 opportunities. He's very highly rated by the club. We certainly have more pressing needs than a KPF at this stage (namely KPD and inside mids).

Not your fault re: Neates and Weedon, common misconception (even amongst Eagles fans). Neates was primarily a wingman, played in patches up forward for Claremont but debuted for West Coast in the midfield. Weedon was 186cm and played tall, closer to a third tall than a crumber.

Having said that with Dick being injury prone and Newman ideally becoming a midfielder a small forward prospect wouldn't be the worst move in the world. :thumbsu:

If Tippett come via the PSD and fails to nominate for the draft, then I love the idea of us punting Menzel at 14. on talent alone surely Menzel is a top 6 player in this draft.

If we miss out on Plowman at 12 which seems likely then Clurey is the obvious pick so I like that too. Would love us to take Grundy (only because I think he is elite) but would be rapped if we ended up with Whitfield, Toumpas and O'Rourke. Which ever way it falls it looks like we are picking the eyes out of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Juzzo's Mock National/PSD/Rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back