Traded Jye Caldwell [traded with #44 and #74 to Essendon for #29 and 2021 R2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet he's been offered 5 years at 550k

He was a number 11 draft pick 2 years ago in an elite draft

Seem a like there value isn't that far apart to me
No, it's 4 years and 450k. And the money is irrelevant. We paid what we needed to to get him to choose us - his trade value is a separate matter. And what's GWS's leverage? He's uncontracted.

No offence to Essendon, but I don’t know why a promising young player would choose them right now. They have talent fleeing like the Ebola was there. Unless no one else was interested in all.
No offence to Essendon, but I don’t know why a promising young player would choose them right now. They have talent fleeing like the Ebola was there. Unless no one else was interested in all.

I dunno, maybe having the most premiership cups in AFL/VFL history..
Also, moz skeeta reynolds!

No, it's 4 years and 450k. And the money is irrelevant. We paid what we needed to to get him to choose us - his trade value is a separate matter. And what's GWS's leverage? He's uncontracted.

If the clubs don’t agree he is off to the draft. I would say North will jump at him.

So is Saad
Yeah, which is why we'll probably have to accept unders in a trade.

If the clubs don’t agree he is off to the draft. I would say North will jump at him.
Honestly couldn't care less. I'm personally not particularly fussed about getting Caldwell and certainly wouldn't want us to pay overs for him. I'm sure we'll get a deal done, though.

Honestly couldn't care less. I'm personally not particularly fussed about getting Caldwell and certainly wouldn't pay overs for him.

You obviously do care as you are here.

Already have paid to much in my opinion, and will have to pay in trade as well.

He’s been offered a good contract, 4 x 450k, on potential. But he certainly hasn’t gone up in value since being traded. Due to an embarrassment of riches in GWS’s midfield he hasn’t had an opportnity to shine - 11 games in two years and hasn’t dominated in those games.
A pick 16-22 will get the deal done.

Another daft comment.

Saad the only disappointing departure as the 3 x top three B&F finishes suggests he can play. As good as Fantasia and Daniher are/could be, they have a played11/60 games and 32/60 games respectively since 2017.
Them leaving (talent wise) is terrible, moving forward the list spot will be more beneficial to someone who should be on the park more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Caldwell is worth around 15-25, and saad is worth around 12-20 (I’m sure not everyone will agree with these ranges but they wouldn’t be too far off), this trade could be quick and painless for all involved.

If Carlton can split 7 to get a mid teens pick for Saad, would essendon be happy to ship that straight to gws for Caldwell and maybe a 3rd coming back?

There may need to be some late round swaps to balance things one way or another but would that satisfy bombers fans?

If Caldwell is worth around 15-25, and saad is worth around 12-20 (I’m sure not everyone will agree with these ranges but they wouldn’t be too far off), this trade could be quick and painless for all involved.

If Carlton can split 7 to get a mid teens pick for Saad, would essendon be happy to ship that straight to gws for Caldwell and maybe a 3rd coming back?

There may need to be some late round swaps to balance things one way or another but would that satisfy bombers fans?

So one is a proven talent. Finished top 3 in b&f for the past 3 years for their club and one of the best attacking half backs in the league. Being offered 650k over 5 years. And just hitting his peak.

The other is a talented but unproven kid with an injury history. 4 years on 450k.
But they're worth about the same draft pick. OK.

So one is a proven talent. Finished top 3 in b&f for the past 3 years for their club and one of the best attacking half backs in the league. Being offered 650k over 5 years. And just hitting his peak.

The other is a talented but unproven kid with an injury history. 4 years on 450k.
It’s not outside the realm of possibility.

Caldwell was drafted with pick 11, and hasn’t done anything much to prove that he’s not still as talented and with as much potential as any kid in the 2020 draft.

Saad was originally a rookie pick to GC but he’s worked his arse off to get to a point where his output is better than what you could reasonably expect from most first round draftees during their careers.

What do you think they are worth then? Caldwell was pick 11 2 years ago, why is he worth much less now?

And using my ranges (which may or may not be around the mark) saad could be worth as much as 12 and Caldwell as little as 25.

You want Caldwell for his potential, you don’t get to pay purely for his current output.

What do you think they are worth then? Caldwell was pick 11 2 years ago, why is he worth much less now?

And using my ranges (which may or may not be around the mark) saad could be worth as much as 12 and Caldwell as little as 25.

You want Caldwell for his potential, you don’t get to pay purely for his current output.
I'd say early second is Caldwell's worth. Late first is his maximum value if we're being generous. Around 17-22.
As talented as he is, Caldwell doesn't have much exposed AFL form and is injury prone. That will hurt his value.

Saad has consistently played at a high standard. He is also incredibly durable, missing only 1 game in 3 years.
Saad is worth a mid first. Somewhere around 10-14.
If Carlton are sending pick 7, then a second has to go back to Carlton. If we're giving up a mid first for Caldwell, then a second has to come back to us.

I'd say early second is Caldwell's worth. Late first is his maximum value if we're being generous. Around 17-22.
As talented as he is, Caldwell doesn't have much exposed AFL form and is injury prone. That will hurt his value.

Saad has consistently played at a high standard. He is also incredibly durable, missing only 1 game in 3 years.
Saad is worth a mid first. Somewhere around 10-14.
If Carlton are sending pick 7, then a second has to go back to Carlton. If we're giving up a mid first for Caldwell, then a second has to come back to us.
So given you don’t have a 2nd as things stand, you’d think that whatever you get for either saad or Daniher (if you match) will be involved in some way or another.

Mid teens with a 3rd coming back or 19-25ish by itself?

Depends how wacky things get with the Saad/Daniher situations I guess. If you get 7 in the Saad trade you’d think you’ll have to split it to make something work.

So given you don’t have a 2nd as things stand, you’d think that whatever you get for either saad or Daniher (if you match) will be involved in some way or another.

Mid teens with a 3rd coming back or 19-25ish by itself?

Depends how wacky things get with the Saad/Daniher situations I guess. If you get 7 in the Saad trade you’d think you’ll have to split it to make something work.
Port are looking to offer their second (pick 26 to us) for Fantasia. We can always do some pick swaps to obtain an early second and trade that to GWS for Caldwell.

Carlton can split pick 7 with Geelong's two firsts and offer one to us.

I guess I'm one of the few Essendon supporters that would be fine getting Caldwell and a 3rd for Saad. If worst came to worst they can even keep the 3rd.

Last edited:
How does Caldwell fit into a midfield of Merrett, Shiel, Heppell, Parish, McGrath and now Dunkley?
Surely he reconsiders...

Merrett wing like he played almost exclusively for the second half of the year and Heppell to half back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jye Caldwell [traded with #44 and #74 to Essendon for #29 and 2021 R2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back