Kangaroos List V BuLLDogs List

Remove this Banner Ad

NorthBhoy said:
I reckon we do.

Their ageing will effect them more than bit part veterans leaving us IMHO.

I read this as being in the future. North's older players are Archer, Colbert, Sav, McKernan. For the Bulldogs it would be West, Johnson, Grant, Darcy, Smith (all finished in the 2004 B&F top 10). Only Colbert was top ten for us.

Our B & F last year had three players over 27 in it and they will all be around for the next four years or so except for Colbert.

1. Brady Rawlings 48 DOB 10/06/1981
2. Shannon Grant 42 19/04/1977
3. Adam Simpson 41 16/02/1976
4. Daniel Wells 38 02/03/1985
5. Leigh Colbert 35 07/06/1975
6. Daniel Harris 33 10/05/1982
7. Troy Makepeace 33 06/03/1979
8. Leigh Brown 31 23/02/1982
9. Corey Jones 31 26/02/1981
10. Brent Harvey 31 14/05/1978

The Top Ten for the Bulldogs was

Scott West 139 14/11/1974
Luke Darcy 126 12/07/1975
Brad Johnson 119 18/07/1976
Nathan Eagleton 96 10/11/1978
Chris Grant 94 13/12/1972
Robert Murphy 93 09/06/1982
Rohan Smith 70 31/05/1973
Daniel Giansiracusa 64 11/03/1982
Brian Harris 58 27/02/1982
Ben Harrison 52 17/01/1975

There are 6 players over 27 in that lot. It is probably Grant's last year and West, Harrison and Smith have 3 years left with Johnson and Eagleton having a few more years left. The so called young players Murphy, Giansiracusa & Harris are all turning 23 this year. Out of that lot Harris has shown the most improvement. The unknown is the quality of the players recruited in the last few years, players such as Cooney, Ray, Skipper, Faulkner and this year's picks develop.

Ipaidmy200in89 said:
Southport coming into the AFL? Gee where do I start.

Where is the commercial Business Plan?

What level of Sponsorship can they attract from Industry on the Gold Coast?

What membership base could they attract?

Many many reasons why it is not an attractive option. It did not suceed before on the Gold Coast. Why will it now?

It didn't work before because it was a Brisbane team based on the
Gold Coast which back then had an unsupporting population. Would
you support a team playing in Footscray that represented a totally
different geographical location. Today the team would have a Gold
Coast name playing in the same region, which I might add has a
population of half a million.

Just to drive the nail in, Southport Sharks has just as many members
as the Bulldogs and makes more money.

Even though I don't think it will happen, it's definitely a viable consideration.

OldSchool said:
I think it's a reasonably viable option. They have a business plan and would do OK with sponsors and I think they could get 20,000 members within a few years. I'm not sure of the charter of the club but the Pokies could be a big contributor.
Just because it failed in the past doesn't mean it would fail in the future.

Where would the licence come from. Be careful when you side with sort of idea. It just might be the side you follow with the same passion as I that makes way for it. It could force a merger between two weaker but closely linked geographically teams.

As you are acutely aware 20,000 members means you are in the same boat we are. The Gold Coast is not such a better option than the Western Suburbs of Melbourne for A and A to jump at. It will never happen in our live time.

OldSchool said:
Good question and Wells and Cooney are going to be very excitiing players for years to come for each team.
Trotter was an excellent selection as was Hale, didn't think so at the time, and McIntosh. The Roos have been able to add some good talls that have still got a lot of improvement in them. They have also done very well with Urch, Shore, Grima and Sansbury looks like a good player. Jesse Smith is also a star of the future.

Not convinced about Sansbury. Won't get a game in the back half before Urch or Trotter, not a natural small forward. Apparently groomed for a tagging role this year, which might be what he needs to make it.

Grima will be an excellent footballer. Shore has been wrecked by injury also, but has still shown excellent signs in VFL finals and is still a very young footballer in every way. Joel Perry will be a player. Hamish and Hale have things they need to work on, but both have heaps of talent. If Hamish works hard, he will be a gun. If. Trotter I love. Has captain written all over him.

Of your lot, Brad Murphy impressed me hugely in his games. Has poise and class. Rob Murphy is a genuine gun. Cooney I jumped the gun on. Ray can play, he is just so fricken light. Saw him do some good things in the VFL. Power I don't really rate. He has had a few years and heaps of chances. Bit to indescisive. McMahon showed signs, but he has before. I like the way Cam Faulkner goes about it, but he just doesn't get it enough at VFL level. Great attitude though, and has the physical tools.

Agree to disagree on Walsh. Injury is one thing, at least looking like you know what your doing is another.

Ipaidmy200in89 said:
Where would the licence come from. Be careful when you side with sort of idea. It just might be the side you follow with the same passion as I that makes way for it. It could force a merger between two weaker but closely linked geographically teams.

As you are acutely aware 20,000 members means you are in the same boat we are. The Gold Coast is not such a better option than the Western Suburbs of Melbourne for A and A to jump at. It will never happen in our live time.
Thanks for the advice but I'm not saying it has anything to do with the Dogs rather I'm just saying Southport is possibly a viable option for an AFL licence sometime down the track. I'm actually confident that the Dogs are on the right path to stay in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne.
Like you I contributed a fair bit of money in 89 and have no desire to see the Dogs relocate. Answering a question about Southports viability to support a team is another question altogether

OldSchool said:
Thanks for the advice but I'm not saying it has anything to do with the Dogs rather I'm just saying Southport is possibly a viable option for an AFL licence sometime down the track. I'm actually confident that the Dogs are on the right path to stay in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne.
Like you I contributed a fair bit of money in 89 and have no desire to see the Dogs relocate. Answering a question about Southports viability to support a team is another question altogether

OS I am not sure they can be viewed as separate issues....

Maybe it could work.....but it didn't with respect to the Bears. For lots of reasons I don't want to see other clubs born into other states.....but mainly because we will be forced out to ensure the right number of teams....

OldSchool said:
The lists are fairly even although courtesy of our lowly finishes over the last three years the Dogs have slightly more quality younger players coming through.
The Roos have done a very good job with their recruiting considering they haven't landed as many early picks in the draft.
true yet by the same token roos currently have a better list and bulldogs would propably have more promising young players and better old players eg; (johnston, darcy, west etc etc) once u lose those 3 especially ur team will go down, youngsters gian, murphy, cooney.... those 3 especially ur team will go up once they completley hit their peak of their carees, 2/3 years? :D

nic_rox13 said:
true yet by the same token roos currently have a better list and bulldogs have better young and old players, old (johnston, darcy, west etc etc) once u lose those 3 especially ur team will go down, but i dont no if the bulldogs can go down much more... hmmmmmmmm :D

That is Hawthorn you follow? I think you'll find out first hand how far a team can fall......

what u just quoted i didn't say, my friend did, i have a couple of friends over, and the one that is updated i did say, not the one u quoted i said "true yet by the same token roos currently have a better list and bulldogs would propably have more promising young players and better old players eg; (johnston, darcy, west etc etc) once u lose those 3 especially ur team will go down, youngsters gian, murphy, cooney.... those 3 especially ur team will go up once they completley hit their peak of their carees, 2/3 years?" :D and my friend did that smiley while i was out of the room, im not mocking any1 and i no how it feels when a team has dropped, obviously considering who i support

nic_rox13 said:
what u just quoted i didn't say, my friend did, i have a couple of friends over, and the one that is updated i did say, not the one u quoted

You have been drinking.....I can hear it in your voice.....

Me? I'd take... oh God, that's a hard one actually.
My gut feeling is that the Bulldogs shade the Kangaroos slightly in the midfield despite the presence of three Roos, well, not quite superstars, but you get the idea... Simpson, Harvey and Grant. West, Johnson and Smith as probably the equal of them and the midfield at the Dogs does run a bit deeper with Cooney, Murphy (*2), even Soft Wide Reciever Eagleton, Ray, etc etc, you get the picture. It's up foward that the Dogs have problems, especially if Rawlings forgets his kicking boots. Bowden doesn't yet look the goods at CHF and Minson is maybe if anything a little too tall and uncoordinated. For the Roos, Petrie and Rocca are doing ok at the moment and Petrie will develop more, and certainly into a good enough player. Harvey is the only real goalsneak on the ground at North, provided that no-one's running the other way at him, but it seems a more settled setup than at the Dogs. Down back, the Roos' veterans (read; Colbert, Archer) seem to be doing well but won't be around for much longer. Harris however looks like a cornerstone for years to come. Give me the Dogs, but not by much.

NorthBhoy said:
Very, very risky pick in Williams. Personally, this would have ********ed me off.

Why??? Do you know a lot about him do you? You haven't seen Griffen or Smith play but you know enough about Williams to know its a mistake?? Im gonna trust Clayton's judgement over yours. He's not gonna be playing this year, but we don't need him too. We're not expecting instant success

What would have ********ed me off is trading our top 2 picks for an inconsistent, seemingly past his best forward, when we should be rebuilding. I know we got Rawlings the year before but he is a better player, we still had 2 early picks, and as has been mentioned key positions was more of a problem area for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont really care what anybody says here they consistently tip us to come last and say we have a bad list and then we finish higher than expected and they say " Look at that Shinboner Spirit"....FFS

iameviljez said:
Me? I'd take... oh God, that's a hard one actually.
My gut feeling is that the Bulldogs shade the Kangaroos slightly in the midfield despite the presence of three Roos, well, not quite superstars, but you get the idea... Simpson, Harvey and Grant. West, Johnson and Smith as probably the equal of them and the midfield at the Dogs does run a bit deeper with Cooney, Murphy (*2), even Soft Wide Reciever Eagleton, Ray, etc etc, you get the picture. It's up foward that the Dogs have problems, especially if Rawlings forgets his kicking boots. Bowden doesn't yet look the goods at CHF and Minson is maybe if anything a little too tall and uncoordinated. For the Roos, Petrie and Rocca are doing ok at the moment and Petrie will develop more, and certainly into a good enough player. Harvey is the only real goalsneak on the ground at North, provided that no-one's running the other way at him, but it seems a more settled setup than at the Dogs. Down back, the Roos' veterans (read; Colbert, Archer) seem to be doing well but won't be around for much longer. Harris however looks like a cornerstone for years to come. Give me the Dogs, but not by much.

You cannot now compare Smith to those midfielders he is finished...and he doesnt even play there...

Good Topic. I actually think the Kanga's may slide this year and are my pick for the wooden spoon. It doesn't give me pleasure in saying it, as I greatly respect the club. Of opposition players, King and Archer have been 2 Favourite players of mine. I just think they have tried to 'top up' their list in the past couple of years by recruiting the likes of Mckeranan, Picioane and Thompson. It could come back to bite them as early as this year and definately in the next two. The bulldogs have definately learnt the hardway in regards to this type of list-management.

Ipaidmy200in89 said:
OS I am not sure they can be viewed as separate issues....
I certainly do. Like you I don't want to see any current team relocate but it doesn't mean that somewhere down the track the competition might not increase from 16 teams and if so I would say the GC region has some pluses when compared to other area's. RL does not have a hold on the place, nor does RU, BB or soccer. A number of former Victorians live there, the region is growing and it has a cashed up well managed club to potentially bankroll the finances.

Don't let all the 'prophets of doom' for the Bulldogs cloud the fact that the area has got some appeal in the long term for the AFL competition.

With the work that will be done on the clubs facilities, the work being done by the management and the committment by the AFL the Dogs are in no danger in the short or medium term so it means very little to me when you get some taking pot shots at the clubs viability. They only do it to see who will take the bait.

fahmi said:
You cannot now compare Smith to those midfielders he is finished...and he doesnt even play there...

Smith was an AA as recently as 2003. That was possibly his best season ever. He also had a good 2004, getting 392 disposals in 21 games as a half back. Thats 57 more than Brent Harvey.

And your right he's not a midfielder. That makes his 20 touches a game even more impressive

MickZu said:
Just to drive the nail in, Southport Sharks has just as many members
as the Bulldogs and makes more money.

Even though I don't think it will happen, it's definitely a viable consideration.

How many of those are members cos they like playing pokies or whatever it is they do there?

The_Flying_Egg said:
Smith was an AA as recently as 2003. That was possibly his best season ever. He also had a good 2004, getting 392 disposals in 21 games as a half back. Thats 57 more than Brent Harvey.

And your right he's not a midfielder. That makes his 20 touches a game even more impressive
Smithy is still going strongly and he did have a very good 2004. No injury problems so I think he has at least 2 more seasons in him. Been a very good player for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos List V BuLLDogs List

Remove this Banner Ad

Back