Kayne Turner - DUI, Blood Alcohol of .133

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-22/north-melbourne-youngster-charged-with-drink-driving

20 year old Kayne Turner got caught drink driving, with a BAC of .133 while still on his P's. Turner was leaving his brother's house. Car impounded, could lose his license for up to 13 months and incur "a significant fine".

Obviously the club will impose a sanction of some variety on him, but this is a perfect opportunity for them to come down hard. Suspend him from playing for the season - I said the same when it was Hodge and I'd say the same if it was Josh Kennedy or Nic Naitanui. Drink driving has zero place in society, it is one of the most selfish, arrogant and potentially damaging decisions a human being can make, and can completely rip apart families. If you've lost family members or friends to drink driving I'm sure you'd agree. I'm not a fan of North by any stretch, but if they come down hard on this they'll certainly earn my respect.

Edit: Leadership group gives him a four week suspension after he comes off the injury list, still facing charges from Vic Police.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His car was impounded and he is expected to lose his licence for up to 13 months and incur a significant fine.

"Kayne is extremely remorseful and embarrassed by his actions," North Director of Football Geoff Walsh said.

"He is fully aware that his decision to get behind the wheel could have put lives at risk.

"His poor judgement and decision making has let many people down.

"While he fully co-operated with police and notified the club immediately, he'll now have to work extremely hard to regain the trust and respect of his teammates and peers.

"On top of the sanctions imposed by police, the club will consider a penalty in consultation with the leadership group and senior management."

Really, really, really dumb.

Let's see if we can have a quasi-sensible discussion on this incident. Unlike the last time.

There is no award for calling for the most severe punishment.

Jesus. It's not even like a night after sort of situation where you're like .055 and possibly would've been under the limit once you get to the police station. I think he'd be on his P's as well. Borderline sackable offence.

Jesus. It's not even like a night after sort of situation where you're like .055 and possibly would've been under the limit once you get to the police station. I think he'd be on his P's as well. Borderline sackable offence.
Yeah. With Hodge I could kind of understand why he'd think he was okay. Older guy, more used to it and all that. You can kind of see that. But Kayne would've KNOWN he was massively over and in no state to drive. And he still chose to.

It's just inexcusable. Really disappointing for a club that's had a really good recent history in terms of lack of off field issues. But this is entirely Kayne's mistake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kayne Turner - DUI, Blood Alcohol of .133

Remove this Banner Ad

Back