Ken McGregor frustrating the crap out of me

Remove this Banner Ad

jmorg1

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2003
that's me!bourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
This guy is seriously out of form. Falling over, fumbling the ball, getting out-bodied, and giving away free kicks because he can't keep up with his opponent.

I hope for his sake he's carrying some sort of injury because if he's playing like that fully fit, it's doing more to hurt the side than helping us.

jmorg1 said:
This guy is seriously out of form. Falling over, fumbling the ball, getting out-bodied, and giving away free kicks because he can't keep up with his opponent.

I hope for his sake he's carrying some sort of injury because if he's playing like that fully fit, it's doing more to hurt the side than helping us.
Been like this all season.

Had an Archilles problem which has obviously slowed him down, but he looks sadly out of form and he's not that good you can carry him when he's out of form.

Hentschell may have to go back to CHB in the short term as he's doing nothing at present as a forward.

Crows hold on
5:22:31 PM Sat 30 April, 2005
Alan Shiell
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Adelaide has ended the Kangaroos' unbeaten run with a hard-earned 10-point win in a tense finish in front of a roaring crowd of 41,867 at AAMI Stadium on Saturday.

The Crows beat the Roos at their own game, chasing, tackling and harassing desperately, but undid some of their good work with inaccurate kicking for goal - 10.14 (74) to 10.4 (64).

The Roos trailed by 24 points at three-quarter time - 7.1 to 9.13 - but, as always, refused to submit without a fight, and added 2.3 in the first 17 minutes of the final term to cut the difference to only nine points.

A behind to Adelaide's Michael Doughty and a goal to Sav Rocca left the Roos only four points behind with about six minutes remaining.

Martin Mattner kicked a goal for the Crows, but it was disallowed. But then Hayden Skipworth sank his fourth goal - from a set shot - to clinch the Crows' fourth victory in six matches this season.

The influence of Troy Makepeace and Adam Simpson was important in the Roos' strong finish, as it had been earlier, along with the efforts of Jess Sinclair, Brent Harvey and three-goal Shannon Grant.

A light drizzle immediately before the game started and a heavier one during the second quarter made conditions difficult, or at least slippery, and it showed in the many ball-handling errors, especially in the first half.

Tearaway defender Graham Johncock led the way for Adelaide with a typically lively display, Scott Thompson and Simon Goodwin were consistent midfield contributors and Rhett Biglands was a dominant ruckman.

Johncock had plenty of support in the backlines where Ben Rutten kept Rocca to only two goals - for 700 in 234 AFL matches - and Nathan Bassett and Ken McGregor also were prominent, as was Trent Hentschel up forward early and across half-back when it mattered most in the final quarter.

Adelaide had more of the ball in the first quarter and led 3.6 to 2.0, but the inaccurate kicking for goal - Ian Perrie scored three successive behinds - threatened to prove costly.

Neither side scored in the first 11 minutes of the second term until Harvey broke the goal drought with the Roos' third, but Biglands replied for the Crows with an accurate long bomb from deep in the right pocket at the northern end.

A goal to Nathan Thompson left the Roos only a goal behind - 4.0 to 4.7 - at the 22-minute mark before Adelaide crumber Skipworth kicked three goals in four minutes to strengthen the home team's position.

The Roos, though, stayed in touch through Grant's second goal after the first of Skipworth's three and Rocca's first goal just before the half-time siren, and the Crows led by just 13 points - 7.7 to 6.0.

:D

i seriously thought kenny could be a AA CHB if somethings went right for him this yr. He surely has to carrying an injury. If this is how he is now for good, then its time to bring in someone else for CHB. Was clearly beaten by thommo and thats enough to get anyone depressed. :cool:

Stiffy_18 said:
Kenny is carrying an injury but crickey that was the worst game I have seen him play for a LONG LONG while.

Yes he is Stiffy.

But as for McGregor's game yesterday, could you please tell me the opponent that tore him a new one yesterday??

I think you'll find that it was a phantom, because when I watched the replay closely again last night, I thought he played a good defensively effective game. Just spoilt time after time.

Yeah, he made a couple of bad errors when he had the ball, but could you please list me all those players from the game yesterday that didn't??

His game was far better than you've given him credit for above.

macca23 said:
Yes he is Stiffy.

But as for McGregor's game yesterday, could you please tell me the opponent that tore him a new one yesterday??

I think you'll find that it was a phantom, because when I watched the replay closely again last night, I thought he played a good defensively effective game. Just spoilt time after time.

Yeah, he made a couple of bad errors when he had the ball, but could you please list me all those players from the game yesterday that didn't??

For what it's worth and my opinion is probably worth not much, I thought Kenny had a reasonable game also, the whole back 6 as a unit were very good. So in closing I agree 100% with what you said Macca... becoming a regular occurance. :)

macca23 said:
Yes he is Stiffy.

I honestly thought Thompson had the better of him especially in the first half. To me Thompson was the most prominent North forward and we had our best tall defender on him.

IMHO, Kenny was beaten on the day and he needs to lift to his usual standards. I am a fan but he has struggled for most of this year. His game on Tredders was his best effort to date. We need him to lift because while the stats might suggest otherwise I thought he was well beaten and could have been costly had it not been for Bassett saving his backside time and time again.

Stiffy_18 said:
I honestly thought Thompson had the better of him especially in the first half. To me Thompson was the most prominent North forward and we had our best tall defender on him.

IMHO, Kenny was beaten on the day and he needs to lift to his usual standards. I am a fan but he has struggled for most of this year. His game on Tredders was his best effort to date. We need him to lift because while the stats might suggest otherwise I thought he was well beaten and could have been costly had it not been for Bassett saving his backside time and time again.

If you get the chance Stiffy, have another look at the game on Fox. Like myself, you'll be surprised just how much good work Mcgregor did that doesn't earn a stat or recognition.

You might just change your mind if you do!! ;)

dyertribe said:
I agree with Stifler, NT took him to the cleaners yesterday.

Kenny can't be 100%. Looked slow, weak and lacking in confidence.

Took him to the cleaners? 10 possies, 6 marks and 2.1 is not a cleaners performance. Christ, Hentschel kicks 2.1 and he's just had a reasonable performance.

We overrate opposition players to criticise our own. Thompson had a solid day, McGregor kept him from cutting loose.

The day 10/6/2.1 is being taken to the cleaners is the day football dies. Now Brown on Essendon, or Farmer on whoever, or Pavlich on Miller. THAT is taking to the cleaners. 2.1 is not a bloody taking to the cleaners. Get a grip, people, stop finding ridiculous ways to criticise our players.

McGregor is not in great form but he was not cleaned up.

macca23 said:
If you get the chance Stiffy, have another look at the game on Fox. Like myself, you'll be surprised just how much good work Mcgregor did that doesn't earn a stat or recognition.

You might just change your mind if you do!! ;)
I have watched it and he looks better on tv than he did on the ground. In all seriousnesses, TV doesn't show how many times Bassett saved his backside and I recall Bassett making the final outcome in McGregor Vs Thompson duel somewhat respectable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just maybe said:
Took him to the cleaners? 10 possies, 6 marks and 2.1 is not a cleaners performance. Christ, Hentschel kicks 2.1 and he's just had a reasonable performance.

Ah, but I thought you didn't rate goals as a measure of a CHF's performance? Only when it suits you and your argument hey? There's a surprise ;)

Considering both sides only managed 10 goals each in insipid conditions I'd say Thompson's return (one fifth of the Kanga's goal tally) was a telling one. Besides which, if you applied your "gateway" argument to Thompson, yes, he took Kenny to the cleaners. He led up the ground and took some important grabs, providing an outlet for teammates, especially when they were struggling for a score.

dyertribe said:
Ah, but I thought you didn't rate goals as a measure of a CHF's performance? Only when it suits you and your argument hey? There's a surprise ;)

Considering both sides only managed 10 goals each in insipid conditions I'd say Thompson's return (one fifth of the Kanga's goal tally) was a telling one. Besides which, if you applied your "gateway" argument to Thompson, yes, he took Kenny to the cleaners. He led up the ground and took some important grabs, providing an outlet for teammates, especially when they were struggling for a score.

Never said he performed poorly. I said it was solid - don't twist my words.

And 6 marks is not taking Kenny to the cleaners. Plus, Thompson was not playing a true CHF role. He was playing closer to goal.

Funny you try and twist my words to hide your shoddy arguments.

just maybe said:

We overrate opposition players to criticise our own. Thompson had a solid day, McGregor kept him from cutting loose.

The day 10/6/2.1 is being taken to the cleaners is the day football dies. Now Brown on Essendon, or Farmer on whoever, or Pavlich on Miller. THAT is taking to the cleaners. 2.1 is not a bloody taking to the cleaners. Get a grip, people, stop finding ridiculous ways to criticise our players.

McGregor is not in great form but he was not cleaned up.
Stats don't tell everything. From replays that i saw he was one of the most dominent forward on the ground.

I agree with crowsarethebest we can all bag Mcgregor cause he is actually playing - imagine if he wasn't - we have to remember the point of the game is to score goals there is 2 hrs to do it and someone has to - holding one of their main forwards to 2 goals is quite resonable.

not every player can be held scoreless and not every player can get 50 touches, Mcgregor did his job IMO

Capitalist said:
I agree with crowsarethebest we can all bag Mcgregor cause he is actually playing - imagine if he wasn't - we have to remember the point of the game is to score goals there is 2 hrs to do it and someone has to - holding one of their main forwards to 2 goals is quite resonable.

not every player can be held scoreless and not every player can get 50 touches, Mcgregor did his job IMO

Agreed. Thank god we have him.

macca23 said:

I'm glad we have him too and last season he was more than solid. In fact, arguably our best KPP in 2004.

This year, though, he's just horrible. He seems to have lost any agility. When he overruns the ball, he can't seem to turn around to get it back. He just seems to keep running, then he turns his head and goes, 'aww bugger' and let's his opponent run off with it.

In the second quarter against the roos, there was a loose ball and he and some roos player (I think Simpson) was chasing it, ken falls over, the roos player gets the ball handpasses to a teammate ... goal to kangaroos.

If he's carrying an injury I hope he gets over it soon because we need the old ken mcgregor back!

macca23 said:

Eric Hobsbawm should get cracking on his next book, and I'll suggest the title: The Age of Extremes II: AFC 1991-2005. ;)

Opinions on KMac's performance on Saturday are divided, however I'm sure we'd all agree (Stifler and deetee included) that we're very glad to have him, regardless of his current below-par form.

dyertribe said:
Eric Hobsbawm should get cracking on his next book, and I'll suggest the title: The Age of Extremes II: AFC 1991-2005. ;)

Opinions on KMac's performance on Saturday are divided, however I'm sure we'd all agree (Stifler and deetee included) that we're very glad to have him, regardless of his current below-par form.
Nail. Hammer. Head. ;)

jmorg1 said:
I'm glad we have him too and last season he was more than solid. In fact, arguably our best KPP in 2004.

This year, though, he's just horrible. He seems to have lost any agility. When he overruns the ball, he can't seem to turn around to get it back. He just seems to keep running, then he turns his head and goes, 'aww bugger' and let's his opponent run off with it.

In the second quarter against the roos, there was a loose ball and he and some roos player (I think Simpson) was chasing it, ken falls over, the roos player gets the ball handpasses to a teammate ... goal to kangaroos.

If he's carrying an injury I hope he gets over it soon because we need the old ken mcgregor back!
Pretty much sums it up.

macca23 said:
Yes he is Stiffy.

Yeah I agree Mac. Apart from a few errors, I thought he did some really good things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken McGregor frustrating the crap out of me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back