Prediction Should Taylor Walker make the Australian Football Hall of Fame

Should Tex be in the Hall of Fame?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only because maybe he should go in first?
Premiership
300 games
4 bnf
2 x all Australian
Could have won a norm smith (3rd)
😱
That too

640 career goals at number 30 on the all time leading goal kicker suggests he will get inducted.

And i think he should break the 650 next season.

I think he makes it.

640 career goals at number 30 on the all time leading goal kicker suggests he will get inducted.

And i think he should break the 650 next season.

I think he makes it.

The problem with these lists is they are heavily biased to the the easier era of vfl. Gordon Coventry gets all the plaudits but at 183cm do we really think he would come close to kicking 5 goals a game in todays era?, it would likely taking 3 x the 306 games he played to get his goal kicking haul. Tony Locket is shorter than Walker and benefited from being the rare huge guy at FF during the era of open forward lines and short players (by modern AFL standards). There was no double teaming back then. Defenders stayed on their man. The reason Locket was so damn useless when he came out of retirement was because the game changed and forwards weren't granted the space to lead into. The quip about his age is merely to hide the obvious he wasnt as good as we thought.

So frankly I think the AFL should remove all the non AFL era players and I would even go so far as to do a pre 2000 list and a post 2000 list. The era and standards have changed.

The problem with these lists is they are heavily biased to the the easier era of vfl. Gordon Coventry gets all the plaudits but at 183cm do we really think he would come close to kicking 5 goals a game in todays era?, it would likely taking 3 x the 306 games he played to get his goal kicking haul. Tony Locket is shorter than Walker and benefited from being the rare huge guy at FF during the era of open forward lines and short players (by modern AFL standards). There was no double teaming back then. Defenders stayed on their man. The reason Locket was so damn useless when he came out of retirement was because the game changed and forwards weren't granted the space to lead into. The quip about his age is merely to hide the obvious he wasnt as good as we thought.

So frankly I think the AFL should remove all the non AFL era players and I would even go so far as to do a pre 2000 list and a post 2000 list. The era and standards have changed.
Yeah, I understand your point and agree. I’m not even sure Modra would survive in modern day. It’s just a different style now.

Create different segments via eras 1900 to 1925, 1925 to 1950, 1950 to 1975, 1975 to 2000 and 2000 to modern day, but you will be hard pressed to get the traditionalists to agree.

Yeah, I understand your point and agree. I’m not even sure Modra would survive in modern day. It’s just a different style now.

Create different segments via eras 1900 to 1925, 1925 to 1950, 1950 to 1975, 1975 to 2000 and 2000 to modern day, but you will be hard pressed to get the traditionalists to agree.

Its edging 40 years since the AFL era occured. Traditionalists will probably pay little attention to these lists now anyway because they have become so meaningless. Even they wouldnt even bother to argue why Cameron isnt as good as Lockett because everyone knows he is better. If you took Walker, Cameron, Hawkins, Kennedy, Rewioldt and dumped them into the late 80s and 90s era of AFL, each one would average well over 100 goals a year. Betts would probably get 100 goals. Thats why these tables are junk. Where as you take Dunstall, Ablett, Lockett, Modra, theyd all struggle to impact games in this era.

Its edging 40 years since the AFL era occured. Traditionalists will probably pay little attention to these lists now anyway because they have become so meaningless. Even they wouldnt even bother to argue why Cameron isnt as good as Lockett because everyone knows he is better. If you took Walker, Cameron, Hawkins, Kennedy, Rewioldt and dumped them into the late 80s and 90s era of AFL, each one would average well over 100 goals a year. Betts would probably get 100 goals. Thats why these tables are junk. Where as you take Dunstall, Ablett, Lockett, Modra, theyd all struggle to impact games in this era.
I reckon Ablett was quite capable of playing the same way Cameron does and probably to a higher standard. He played tall, athletic and was a good mark as well. Question would be around his training dedication in the current professional era.

Dunstall was also pretty good at providing pressure, working hard and finding space.

Would they kick 1000+ goals no, those days are pretty much over. But they would be top level players.

I reckon Ablett was quite capable of playing the same way Cameron does and probably to a higher standard. He played tall, athletic and was a good mark as well. Question would be around his training dedication in the current professional era.

Dunstall was also pretty good at providing pressure, working hard and finding space.

Would they kick 1000+ goals no, those days are pretty much over. But they would be top level players.

Ablett is the one most likely to succeed. But defenders were smaller and slower. Athletes werent really part of the game. If you were athletic you were a freak. Most players were just fit gut runners but not quick. Lockett in his younger years was a fit player from what ive heard, so he probably would have succeeded somewhat. But i dont think their builds, height would have really set them up for success in todays modern era. Its just different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Should Taylor Walker make the Australian Football Hall of Fame

Back