Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2010 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arguement for: Comes from a basketball background so the upside is there and skills are very much transferrable. Athletically very, very good. Can play a variety of roles up forward. Moves really well for someone his size. Very strong mark overhead and can mark at the highest point. Had a bit of a late growth spurt and has gone from around 194cm during the u18 champs up to around 199cm now, so physically I'd say by both his late growth and improvement this season that there is allot of improvement left in him.

Arguement against: Unproven. Can he become a dominant KPF? Really just a potential pick over known output.
Can improve kicking, add size, defensive side of his game, but that isn't so say those aspects of his game are bad either.

Why I say he could be a good fit is that he is a different player to Riewoldt or Griffiths. Griff is a big bodied, strong forward. Jack is your natural forward with a great footy brain and Lynch is interesting as an athletic KPF.
A system could be worked out where in the future all 3 possibly play, and then one of Griffiths or Lynch become backup ruck.
Many possibilities with the combinations.

Best mid at 6, I think Richmond might look at Polec as the other possibility assumed Heppell is taken if they want to go for a mid. Good outside option and with Tambling gone I think he could be a nice addition.

Lots have different views on Barham but I really like him. For Richmond I think he can play from season 1.
His story is that he was a late starter to footy, then in season 1 was out for the season with injury.
Season 2 he looked really promising and made his debut mid season against Brisbane and was B.O.G. He won the game with his tackling pressure and got nearly 30 disposals from memory.
Season 3 (this year), had an fantastic start to the season at VFL level and probably deserved a chance early, but was unfortunate. His 2nd half of the season was ok without being fantastic but he was never a chance because our best 22 pretty much stuck after the mid season break anyway.

On Barham and plan to do a write up:
Strengths: Has an incredible combination of speed and endurance. Has real explosiveness and can run all day, so pretty unique great in both areas. His tackling pressure is first rate and defensively can impact games in the way Dale Thomas has this year with his pressure game. Has a very high work rate. Real energy player and team lifter defensively, so when he is playing well you can really feel he is having a significant influence on the contest.
Weaknesses: Kicking (could only kick on one side, towards the end of the season was learning to become more duel sided and started gaining confidence, not too bad now), decision making is usually his main criticism but it is improving (likely to always be a relative weakness, but no player is perfect), handballing (not always on target so with more practise it can still get better), also has a fairly slight body but he will continue to put on size and is still young so I don't consider this to be a problem at all.
Role: Outside midfielder who can be a St Kilda style role player. He will probably always be a slightly floored player, but that doesn't mean he can't be a highly productive player or a difference maker. Adds some great burst speed offensively, and defensively will tackle like a machine and make all your other midfielders look much better.

Griffiths Richmond have lots of confidence in. Very solid kid and will be interesting to see if he can develop. Injuries are the major problem for him. No guarantee to develop into the monster we hope he will, but certainly if he can keep his body right will be given every chance.

He sounds very impressive Tom Lynch .You may have a point also that we will take KP at 6 as we recruited Grigg and Houli to come so maybe that's why we can afford to KP at 6 and then a midfielder at 30.Our midfield stocks arent to bad I guess it all depends who is there at 6 and as we said best avaiable.Would you use the compensation pick in this draft pick 26 or wait till 2012 and it will be pick 19?.What a your views on Houli I reckon he is a great get just needs oppurtunity.

He sounds very impressive Tom Lynch .You may have apoint also that we will take KP at 6 as we recruited Grigg and Houli to come so maybe that's why we can afford to KP at 6 and then a midfielder at 30.Our midfield stocks arent to bad I guess it all depends who is there at 6 and as we said best avaiable.Would you use the compensation pick in this draft pick 26 or wait till 2012 and it will be pick 19?.What a your views on Houli I reckon he is a great get just needs oppurtunity.

Grigg + Houli will get every opportunity to get games, and having a few years under them I expect they will be recruited with the expectation that both will play the majority of games in 2011.

Houli I think will get opportunities. Don't think he will be a walk up start from round 1, but if he proves himself he is every opportunity to make it. Offensively minded kid and probably needs to improve a little defensively, but if he does he could be a handy player.

I wouldn't use the compensation pick. The one club who might look into it is North Melbourne if they are dead keen on adding Isaac Smith and think that he will be available at 26.

The 2012 draft is expected to be a good one also so waiting till the pick becomes more valueable is the way to go for Richmond. Premiership window isn't open, so best to go for the value in a couple of years.

Hey Knight

What do you see in Brad Harvey?

Seems like he could be a decent prospect, or is there more to him than meets the eye (or video's of him :D)?

Uses it well, reads the game alright, good overhead and can kick a goal. Reminds me a little bit of the young Melbourne boy, Gysberts.

Can you fill me in a litte bit more on the young boy from Victoria?

Hey Knight

What do you see in Brad Harvey?

Seems like he could be a decent prospect, or is there more to him than meets the eye (or video's of him :D)?

Uses it well, reads the game alright, good overhead and can kick a goal. Reminds me a little bit of the young Melbourne boy, Gysberts.

Can you fill me in a litte bit more on the young boy from Victoria?

Harvey is a late-rookie type. Right now I'm favouring rookie.

Was a really pleasant surprise at the draft combine. Certainly made clubs take notice. Probably didn't show that athleticism during the season.

Doesn't get a whole lot of the ball. When he has it he is a better than average kick.

He is unproven to some extent on the footy field, but if he can take full advantage his outstanding all round athleticism and continue to make his kicking more of a strength there is no reason why he can't be a productive mid/backman at AFL level.

Has a similar game to Parker.

Parker is the better of the pair and could possibly play 10 games in season 1 and play a more immediate midfield role whereas Fasolo might get one or two games in season 1 and probably start to get a few more opportunities from season 2.

I don't think Parker and Fasolo are all that similar actually.

And at the right team, I would say Fasolo is just as good a chance to play early as Parker. For an 18 year old, Fasolo is very well built and realistically you would only want him to add on another couple of kilos.

I really like Fasolo, but I don't think he is necessarily a genuine inside midfielder like Parker. Has a lot of value up forward, and ultimately he is more of a Didak/Chapman type player who will roam the half forward line and push up into the middle for stints.

Couldn't go wrong with either in my opinion, although don't be surprised if Fasolo gets more attention over his career.

I don't think Parker and Fasolo are all that similar actually.

And at the right team, I would say Fasolo is just as good a chance to play early as Parker. For an 18 year old, Fasolo is very well built and realistically you would only want him to add on another couple of kilos.

I really like Fasolo, but I don't think he is necessarily a genuine inside midfielder like Parker. Has a lot of value up forward, and ultimately he is more of a Didak/Chapman type player who will roam the half forward line and push up into the middle for stints.

Couldn't go wrong with either in my opinion, although don't be surprised if Fasolo gets more attention over his career.

On style slightly different and if Fasolo plays earlier it could be part as forward, not wrong, then probably later become more of a midfielder. Parker is more of a pure mid. Both have pretty similar builds and both can play some games from season 1 which was more where I was getting at with them being similar.

Haven't seen as much of Fasolo as I have Parker, but I have high hopes for them both. Like Parker more at this stage, but certainly Fasolo could develop into the better of the pair. No question and is still every chance to be a success at AFL level.

Gorringe

Touted as potentially a gun ruckman.

My research shows that GUN ruckman are Top 5 selections or come late in the ND or in the Rookie Draft.

I would be staggered if EFC pick either Gorringe/Lycett with pick 8 or 30.

Anyway - Gorringe should be gone by Pick 8 if he is a GUN.

Gorringe

My research shows that GUN ruckman are Top 5 selections or come late in the ND or in the Rookie Draft.

I actually don't rate him after watching him live in the SANFL finals...he remids me off cameron wood. I recon one SANFL final he went all game without getting a hitout...not the indications of a star

Gorringe

To name a few recent examples off the top of my head: T.Vickery (8), B.McEvoy (9), C.Wood (somewhere in the teens).
So it does happen.

Gorringe is most strictly in the 6-11 range. Really hard not to see him go to one of those selections. Gorringe is far from a sure thing, has all the athletic attributes but with ruckman unless you are a pick 1/2 it is hard to say whether they will be a 200 gamer or not.

Lycett in any other draft would be picked in the 8-15 type range, but with teams in that range not in need to add a ruckman, that is more the reasoning behind his fall.

Essendon might look at Gorringe at 8 if available, but I think a late/rookie ruckman is more likely.

I actually don't rate him after watching him live in the SANFL finals...he remids me off cameron wood. I recon one SANFL final he went all game without getting a hitout...not the indications of a star

Far from a sure thing, but I am optimistic he can develop into a better player than C.Wood.

Will take time to develop. What ruckman show as a 17 year old is allot different to what they will be able to produce as a 25 year old. With ruckman particularly drafting is very imprecise because it is hard to see what that finished product will be, which is why sometimes rookie ruckman can surprise and develop into the best ruckman (Sandilands, Cox, Jolly, Mumford and co).

To name a few recent examples off the top of my head: T.Vickery (8), B.McEvoy (9), C.Wood (somewhere in the teens).
So it does happen.

Gorringe is most strictly in the 6-11 range. Really hard not to see him go to one of those selections. Gorringe is far from a sure thing, has all the athletic attributes but with ruckman unless you are a pick 1/2 it is hard to say whether they will be a 200 gamer or not.

Lycett in any other draft would be picked in the 8-15 type range, but with teams in that range not in need to add a ruckman, that is more the reasoning behind his fall.

Essendon might look at Gorringe at 8 if available, but I think a late/rookie ruckman is more likely.

Far from a sure thing, but I am optimistic he can develop into a better player than C.Wood.

Will take time to develop. What ruckman show as a 17 year old is allot different to what they will be able to produce as a 25 year old. With ruckman particularly drafting is very imprecise because it is hard to see what that finished product will be, which is why sometimes rookie ruckman can surprise and develop into the best ruckman (Sandilands, Cox, Jolly, Mumford and co).

thats why clubs better be sure on him and not just hope he will develop...we saw leuenberger go high recently, but he was a standout ruckman with great tap work, running endurance, and most importantly great at ground level & disposal.

Hey Knight,
just wondering what your thoughts are on Steve Witkowski from the Knights (if you have any that is). Rookie chance?

Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Knight

What can you tell me about Jackson Sketcher?

Is not even mentioned on the AFL Draft Machine, and there is over 100 players listed..

FWIW, the draft machine last year was so much better :D

Joint winner of the Morrish medal. Really got himself fit this season and seems very coachable from all reports. Knows how to play footy. Has a solid body but looks like a chubby kid and doesn’t have that modern day footballers body shape which is so fashionable. Will really need to work off those meat pies. But once he does no reason why he can’t become a productive player at the next level. Not a fashionable pick by any stretch, but could become a very good one and might with a bit of luck follow a similar path to Dane Swan development wise. No reason why with a bit of work he can't become a good AFL footballer. Worth picking late/rookie.

Hey Knight,
just wondering what your thoughts are on Steve Witkowski from the Knights (if you have any that is). Rookie chance?

Cheers.

Witkowski got a tryout at the state screening so he will be on the radar of recruiters. Has a pretty powerful body. Has good versatility down back. There is a fair bit to work with. Certainly a chance to wind up on a rookie list.

Question, did you change Collingwoods first pick to Rankine? I remember reading this a week ago and thought you had someone else at 44 though I can't remember who. If you did, what caught your eye about him? If not, disregard I must be going crazy.

Question, did you change Collingwoods first pick to Rankine? I remember reading this a week ago and thought you had someone else at 44 though I can't remember who. If you did, what caught your eye about him? If not, disregard I must be going crazy.

No, you're not crazy.
I regularly adjust the order and did several times last week.
Previously had Rankine as a gift to Adelaide at 61 and Horlin-Smith at 44.
Will probably continue to change the order as I go and the Collingwood picks I have the week of the draft will in all likelihood again be slightly different.

Horlin-Smith I think could be taken a little later.

Rankine I view as one of the better crumbing forward options. Has all the attributes to become a handy forward and possible Leon Davis replacement up forward. Have been looking for an appropriate one for some time, and Rankine is for mine the better of the alternatives.

Nice, thanks Knightmare. I only asked because it's not a name I've seen you mention on the Collingwood board, so it came a bit out of left field.

I think these pickup for Hawthorn are a Knightmare. Why didn't we grab O'Shea, Rioli or Kruse???

I don't mind this draft for Hawthorn. Pitt I think could be a star, probably the best kick if given time and space in this draft, really the ideal outside option. Wilson was an u18 AA in 09 and could add some really nice drive from defense with his top foot skills. Hickey is probably the 3rd best ruckman in this draft and with a few ruckman gone probably not a bad pickup.

O'Shea is a possibility if available in the 3rd round. But keep in mind he is not a KPP. I took him earier on in the phantom draft for Hawthorn, but you can only get him if he is available.

Rioli I think is more of a rookie pick. 19 years old. 173cm forward/mid.

Kruse I'm also not super keen on. For mine he is a late-rookie type. Could go as high as 50, but no much higher.

luck parker would go befor 30 from 12-25

This is the general consensus and you are not wrong to say this, but he just didn't really fit into my order because I have found other teams likely to take a few players a bit earlier than expected. eg. Isaac Smith (pick 17 to North Melbourne) and Ben Jacobs is probably the other for mine. I think he will go in the 10-20 range, but probably the majority here think he is more of a 2nd rounder.

Same thing could be said about Darling sliding to 25. Always a few who fall further than expected and always a few who go higher than expected. And Darling and Parker are probably the two who were a little unlucky.

I don't mind this draft for Hawthorn. Pitt I think could be a star, probably the best kick if given time and space in this draft, really the ideal outside option. Wilson was an u18 AA in 09 and could add some really nice drive from defense with his top foot skills. Hickey is probably the 3rd best ruckman in this draft and with a few ruckman gone probably not a bad pickup.

O'Shea is a possibility if available in the 3rd round. But keep in mind he is not a KPP. I took him earier on in the phantom draft for Hawthorn, but you can only get him if he is available.

Rioli I think is more of a rookie pick. 19 years old. 173cm forward/mid.

Kruse I'm also not super keen on. For mine he is a late-rookie type. Could go as high as 50, but no much higher.

This is the general consensus and you are not wrong to say this, but he just didn't really fit into my order because I have found other teams likely to take a few players a bit earlier than expected. eg. Isaac Smith (pick 17 to North Melbourne) and Ben Jacobs is probably the other for mine. I think he will go in the 10-20 range, but probably the majority here think he is more of a 2nd rounder.

Same thing could be said about Darling sliding to 25. Always a few who fall further than expected and always a few who go higher than expected. And Darling and Parker are probably the two who were a little unlucky.

Well the real gap is the CHB. We don't really need an outside mid. Bateman gets a good pre-season he should be fine. If we grabbed Kruse and Rioli they can easily jump in for Peterson and Hooper. Plus I don't think we will have enough room on our rookie list for them 2. O'Shea I rate him more than Tape. If we could get O'Shea in third round I would be fine. Kruse with our forth and Sewell with fifth??

Well the real gap is the CHB. We don't really need an outside mid. Bateman gets a good pre-season he should be fine. If we grabbed Kruse and Rioli they can easily jump in for Peterson and Hooper. Plus I don't think we will have enough room on our rookie list for them 2. O'Shea I rate him more than Tape. If we could get O'Shea in third round I would be fine. Kruse with our forth and Sewell with fifth??

I think Hawthorn could do need more speed on the outside. Looking pretty slow. But Pitt and Wilson are more precision kicks rather than super athletes.

Kruse is a defender. Again undersized. More a half back flanker or possible wingman if anything.

Tape I definately rate ahead of O'Shea and think he is every chance to go in the 1st round. But for now have him in the 2nd. O'Shea is more a 3rd rounder who could go 2nd. O'Shea is the more offensive option and Tape the shut down guy.

Better replacements for Hooper + Peterson would be Harper/ Lamb. Pitt can push forward onto a HFF.
A Tim Milera could be taken as a late - rookie as a forward pocket.

Sewell might go in the national draft. Worth a selection for a club. But I expect he will go late-rookie. Will be good value for whoever takes a chance on him in any case.

Watson would be ideal as a big key position defender if he slides to pick 19. But that isn't super likely so best adding a key position defender in the rookie draft.

Knights I wonder if you can give me a answer, is there a chance of lamb sliding for the lions at pick 25? He would be perfect for kid lions

Not likely. Would be very lucky for him to fall to 25. Unlikely to drop much further than pick 20 if at all by all reports.

I think Hawthorn could do need more speed on the outside. Looking pretty slow. But Pitt and Wilson are more precision kicks rather than super athletes.

Kruse is a defender. Again undersized. More a half back flanker or possible wingman if anything.

Tape I definately rate ahead of O'Shea and think he is every chance to go in the 1st round. But for now have him in the 2nd. O'Shea is more a 3rd rounder who could go 2nd. O'Shea is the more offensive option and Tape the shut down guy.

Better replacements for Hooper + Peterson would be Harper/ Lamb. Pitt can push forward onto a HFF.
A Tim Milera could be taken as a late - rookie as a forward pocket.

Sewell might go in the national draft. Worth a selection for a club. But I expect he will go late-rookie. Will be good value for whoever takes a chance on him in any case.

Watson would be ideal as a big key position defender if he slides to pick 19. But that isn't super likely so best adding a key position defender in the rookie draft.

Not likely. Would be very lucky for him to fall to 25. Unlikely to drop much further than pick 20 if at all by all reports.

Well Kruse could play forward as well he did for his TAC cup team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back