Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
how good is darcy gardiner ? what draft range

Gardiner is the better of the key defenders. I have him in the 15-25 range in my power rankings at present but probably goes first round with so few other reasonable tall options and a club with KPP issues may take a shot earlier than they perhaps would another year.

Knightmare; do you think Garlett will get picked up, and if so how far down the draft order will he go?

His form is certainly holding up and he continues to dominate.

I'd pick him. I'd pick him inside the top 30 if I knew another club would select him but with the knowledge that clubs probably don't take a shot early I'd pretty happily give him a shot late draft/rookie.

He has his issues and he won't be every clubs cup of tea but I'd take the shot because he's producing. He finds it like few others his age, does damage with his touches and hits the scoreboard.

Beyond this what sells me and makes me think he's a good investment despite his issues is his improvement. He improved last year and he has continued to improve this year which usually suggests that he'll continue his improvement and as a footballer make it at the next level in a big way given what he is already doing.

Gardiner is the better of the key defenders. I have him in the 15-25 range in my power rankings at present but probably goes first round with so few other reasonable tall options and a club with KPP issues may take a shot earlier than they perhaps would another year.

His form is certainly holding up and he continues to dominate.

I'd pick him. I'd pick him inside the top 30 if I knew another club would select him but with the knowledge that clubs probably don't take a shot early I'd pretty happily give him a shot late draft/rookie.

He has his issues and he won't be every clubs cup of tea but I'd take the shot because he's producing. He finds it like few others his age, does damage with his touches and hits the scoreboard.

Beyond this what sells me and makes me think he's a good investment despite his issues is his improvement. He improved last year and he has continued to improve this year which usually suggests that he'll continue his improvement and as a footballer make it at the next level in a big way given what he is already doing.
Have to agree if he's producing as much as some media outlets are saying. Still torn on whether Essendon made the right call last year. Hams looks like becoming a solid player, but it will hurt if Garlett becomes a star somewhere else.

Not sure if you covered him/I have asked earlier Knightmare but what are your thoughts on Nathan Gardiner? Ave 2 contested marks a game playing as an undersized KPP/3rd tall forward whilst averaging 2 goals a game as well.. Obviously averaging 10 possessions a game isn't quite up to it, he has plenty of other atributes that suggest he could be a good player where ever he ends up (AFL/VFL/Local leagues).

Any other Stingrays that are emerging in your eyes this early in the season mate? See McCartney kicked 6 to become the front runner but any others your liking? Nathan Foote started the season really well as a small defender. Billy Hartung is obviously the other one (named in the Country squad).

What are your thoughts on Jarman Impey? I had him pegged as one of the best small forwards in the draft this year and his performance on Saturday justified this, but McCartney is also a good small forward/midfield type and there are probably some WA/SA guys who I am less familiar with.

What are your thoughts on Jarman Impey? I had him pegged as one of the best small forwards in the draft this year and his performance on Saturday justified this, but McCartney is also a good small forward/midfield type and there are probably some WA/SA guys who I am less familiar with.

I wouldn't put too much weight into the performances of small forwards against div 2 sides. With the quality of delivery and the amount of it your getting in you'd hope they'd have some strong games.

We'll know just how good Impey and McCartney are when they come up against stronger competition. Both looking like mid range prospects at this point. There are some other smaller forwards with some ability so the competition will be tight.

Hey Knightmare, have you analysed Ryan Simister (West Adelaide, SA U18's) game? If so, do you reckon he's a chance to be drafted? I've seen him play and he plays as a ruckman, occasionally as a forward and even as a back. Great contested mark, good one-on-one, relatively speedy and agile, his skills could use some work. He seems to read the play quite well though - just has a natural footy brain. His biggest asset is his tap work, it's brilliant, but he's only 196cm, so would be undersized for AFL you'd think.

We'll know just how good Impey and McCartney are when they come up against stronger competition. Both looking like mid range prospects at this point. There are some other smaller forwards with some ability so the competition will be tight.

I like the sound of this mate. Essendon are screaming out for a tackling small forward who can actually rove the feet of the KP's.

So we have:

Impey
McCartney
Kennedy Harris

any other names we can add to this list early?

Hey Knightmare, have you analysed Ryan Simister (West Adelaide, SA U18's) game? If so, do you reckon he's a chance to be drafted? I've seen him play and he plays as a ruckman, occasionally as a forward and even as a back. Great contested mark, good one-on-one, relatively speedy and agile, his skills could use some work. He seems to read the play quite well though - just has a natural footy brain. His biggest asset is his tap work, it's brilliant, but he's only 196cm, so would be undersized for AFL you'd think.

Have not seen him play yet but I'm sure to some time over the coming weeks with some luck.

Looking at his measurements he's got a big body. At 195/196cm you're a Naitanui/Daw/Ryder level freak athlete it's difficult to play ruck, regardless of how good you are as a junior. Just as James Craig. So here's hoping he has some ability as a KPP then maybe he can pinch hit some as a no.2 ruck as required.

I'll watch with interest.

I like the sound of this mate. Essendon are screaming out for a tackling small forward who can actually rove the feet of the KP's.

So we have:

Impey
McCartney
Kennedy Harris

Wouldn't say tackling is Impey's biggest strength. He has great goal sense and can go through the middle but his work rate needs to improve so he can get more tackles and put on more pressure.

Willie Rioli maybe? Or is he zoned to GWS?

So we have:

Impey
McCartney
Kennedy Harris

Roth, Cathcart, Kearns, Impey and Kennedy-Harris all have some go.

Kennedy-Harris is that crumber is my pick of this group. Impressive tackler but then a genuine goal sneak with crumbing ability. Playing mostly midfield this year but has some Andrew Krakouer to him up forward with his ability to create more time for himself.

The others are more likely your later round picks/rookies as they haven't done as much yet.

Wouldn't say tackling is Impey's biggest strength. He has great goal sense and can go through the middle but his work rate needs to improve so he can get more tackles and put on more pressure.

Willie Rioli maybe? Or is he zoned to GWS?

This is the last year of the NT zone selections so they can certainly take Rioli if they want him.

Wasley-Black, Rioli and maybe Jarrod Stokes now that he is looking a touch more composed and more reliable by foot could be in that mix for a list position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the last year of the NT zone selections so they can certainly take Rioli if they want him.

Wasley-Black, Rioli and maybe Jarrod Stokes now that he is looking a touch more composed and more reliable by foot could be in that mix for a list position.

While we're talking NT zone selections, what are your thoughts on Daniel Cox? Looks like a Jake Neade clone, with the light build and pressure he was putting on the ball carrier the other night. Probably not skilful enough though but could he be a project player on a rookie list?

So we have:

Impey
McCartney
Kennedy Harris

You've picked the three 'biggest names' there. I personally rate McCartney the highest, and would have him as a top 20-30 player. While Kennedy-Harris and Impey would both be just below, but still in the top 40-50 for me.

South Australia have a few to watch out for. Dwayne Wilson being the obvious midfielder/small forward, although as I've said before he is more along your Danyle Pearce lines. I did have Malcolm Karpany as the next best - but the more I look at him, the more I'm impressed with Zac Bates from West Adelaide. Outside of SA, most wouldn't know of him. But definitely keep an eye out. Sean Lemmens as a 19 year old and later option is another. Alex Spina has quite an accomplished game up forward too. Similar to the Collingwood small forwards, as opposed to say Geelong or Carlton. But largely what you're after. And they are just the guys who made the U18 squad.

Lewis Taylor and Billy Hartung could both fill the role, Alex Saunders would be another option. Zac Merrett is more a midfielder, but showed an ability around goals on the weekend. And Jason Cooke is another with experience up forward, but is more your Jason Winderlich type forward.

For the Division 2 sides, Brady Gray has been playing well done in Tasmania as a crumbing forward. And take your pick of the NT boys, Daniel Cox and Jarrod Stokes are two midfielder/forwards similar to Jake Neade. And of course Willy Rioli as a rookie option.

You've picked the three 'biggest names' there. I personally rate McCartney the highest, and would have him as a top 20-30 player. While Kennedy-Harris and Impey would both be just below, but still in the top 40-50 for me.

South Australia have a few to watch out for. Dwayne Wilson being the obvious midfielder/small forward, although as I've said before he is more along your Danyle Pearce lines. I did have Malcolm Karpany as the next best - but the more I look at him, the more I'm impressed with Zac Bates from West Adelaide. Outside of SA, most wouldn't know of him. But definitely keep an eye out. Sean Lemmens as a 19 year old and later option is another. Alex Spina has quite an accomplished game up forward too. Similar to the Collingwood small forwards, as opposed to say Geelong or Carlton. But largely what you're after. And they are just the guys who made the U18 squad.

Lewis Taylor and Billy Hartung could both fill the role, Alex Saunders would be another option. Zac Merrett is more a midfielder, but showed an ability around goals on the weekend. And Jason Cooke is another with experience up forward, but is more your Jason Winderlich type forward.

For the Division 2 sides, Brady Gray has been playing well done in Tasmania as a crumbing forward. And take your pick of the NT boys, Daniel Cox and Jarrod Stokes are two midfielder/forwards similar to Jake Neade. And of course Willy Rioli as a rookie option.

I'd personally like a crumbing that can push into the midfield so count out those marking half forwards in the Winderlich, Jamie Elliot mould. We have lacked a quality crumber for years now despite the best efforts of sporadic forward Alwyn Davey.

How would you rate those pure small roving forwards? Ones that can read it off the pack and kick it around the corner.

I think this year we will be looking for midfielders, midfielders and more midfielders. Actually that's what I hope we do.

I expect us to go midfielder, flanker, flanker, flanker, flanker :p But hey a man can dream.

Outside the first round who are the midfielders who you could see going 2nd round-late or rookie fitting into our criteria of good kick and can win their own footy? Doesn't have to be a contested beast as we need guys to play outside but still be able to go when it's their turn not unlike say Salem.

Have to agree if he's producing as much as some media outlets are saying. Still torn on whether Essendon made the right call last year. Hams looks like becoming a solid player, but it will hurt if Garlett becomes a star somewhere else.

I think west coast may use there third rounder on him.
He is stuck at the hip to Murray Newman who's on our list, there best friends
always in each other pockets.
WCE may back in Phil Narkle to help turn around both there of field issues, there both super talents.

KM Rhys Mott any chnace of getting drafted

Mott has gone off the radar some.

Some of the Tasmanian watchers might have a better idea of where he is at but I haven't seen him play since 2011 unless he was in that VFL v TAS game last year.

I think this year we will be looking for midfielders, midfielders and more midfielders. Actually that's what I hope we do.

I expect us to go midfielder, flanker, flanker, flanker, flanker :p But hey a man can dream.

Outside the first round who are the midfielders who you could see going 2nd round-late or rookie fitting into our criteria of good kick and can win their own footy? Doesn't have to be a contested beast as we need guys to play outside but still be able to go when it's their turn not unlike say Salem.

There will be a lot of midfield options.

Beyond the first round I'd be looking at: Blake Acres, Matthew Merlo, Alex Spina, Nick Favretto, Dwayne Wilson, Lewis Taylor, Billy Hartung, Nathan Freeman, James Tsitas, Ben Sokol, Nicholas Robertson, Eli Templeton and William Maginness all could be strong gets 2nd round and beyond.

As a rookie Jacob Chisari could be worth a look.

Dwayne Wilson sticking to that quality kicking criteria may be the guy with the damage he can do with ball in hand but this could be a potential shortlist of mids to look at after the first round.

There will be a lot of midfield options.

Beyond the first round I'd be looking at: Blake Acres, Matthew Merlo, Alex Spina, Nick Favretto, Dwayne Wilson, Lewis Taylor, Billy Hartung, Nathan Freeman, James Tsitas, Ben Sokol, Nicholas Robertson, Eli Templeton and William Maginness all could be strong gets 2nd round and beyond.

As a rookie Jacob Chisari could be worth a look.

Dwayne Wilson sticking to that quality kicking criteria may be the guy with the damage he can do with ball in hand but this could be a potential shortlist of mids to look at after the first round.

Cheers Knightmare. I'll keep a close eye on those guys. Would love Wilson in the 2nd round. Or dare I say it a Garlett. Robertson intrigued me at the Etihad Champs game I think it was.

If you were Richmond who'd you be eyeing off with our first pick? Assuming the same demands of good kick, can win his own ball and high character.

Hey KM, obviously there are a couple of well-known Oakleigh guys that will get snapped up early but are there any other names from them that we should keep an eye out for?

Cheers Knightmare. I'll keep a close eye on those guys. Would love Wilson in the 2nd round. Or dare I say it a Garlett. Robertson intrigued me at the Etihad Champs game I think it was.

If you were Richmond who'd you be eyeing off with our first pick? Assuming the same demands of good kick, can win his own ball and high character.

Based the criteria you put forward in the first round I'd be looking at Billings/Sheed/Dunstan/Lennon/Bontempelli/Dumont.

The first three are almost certainly gone but I expect at least one of those last three are still there.

Hey KM, obviously there are a couple of well-known Oakleigh guys that will get snapped up early but are there any other names from them that we should keep an eye out for?

If looking for a smokie from Oakleigh I'm liking Guy Dickson a lot.

Have enjoyed Dickson's game for some time now with the way he dominated the APS competition for Carey last season and I've also liked what he has done for Oakleigh so far this year. Has some Jeremy Howe as that high leaping forward with a great set of hands and can also swing back just as easily.
Have not seen him play a bad game and he just looks a class above in everything he does.
Would very strongly look at him if he finishes out the year strongly and continues his improvement.

Jake Kelly and Darren Allen are two other lesser names who have impressed me in the past and could also make a push late season once they finish up with their APS footy commitments with Scotch College.

Seen much of Zak Jones? Made the Vic Country squad, just interested because he's the brother of our own Nathan.

Jones is more of a backman who can push into the midfield but in saying that he has shown at times that he can push into the midfield, win it inside and use it well so it will be interesting to see what he does through the u18 champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back