Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If GWS do get Buddy then they'll have 3 very good key forwards, with Melbourne also having 3 bigs. Christmas could come early for the Dogs or Saints. KM, is Boyd so good that needs become irrelevant?

Yeah, can put them straight through the middle from 60 out. Would be a really good addition to the Tigers as a bit of outside class while still having that aggression that they place as a priority, just have my doubts that he'll last to your pick.
Could you see him going in the 5 - 10 range with a big year? Pretty keen on him, would be a good addition to the dogs I reckon, seeing as we need the outside class and goal kicking mids, while still being hard at it.

Hey Knightmare, just asking about Jye Cross from Geelong Falcons? Do you see him getting drafted this year

Billings inside mid? Dogs don't need inside mids??? Who is another guy the dogs would look at ??

Billings is more a combo mid who does everything well. Can play forward/outside/inside without any difficulties.

Sheed if available is another the Dogs likely look at.

Josh Kelly and Marcus Bontempelli could also be in that mix for selection.

If GWS do get Buddy then they'll have 3 very good key forwards, with Melbourne also having 3 bigs. Christmas could come early for the Dogs or Saints. KM, is Boyd so good that needs become irrelevant?

That may indeed be the case with Boyd where a GWS take him anyway regardless of need. It's a case of there is no clear no.2. Aish, Scharenberg, Dunstan, Bontempelli/Sheed?

Aish is probably that likely other top 2 guy given his reputation if he closes out the season strongly but my view has always been when you can get that top quality key forward and he's the best of the lot. You take him. Quality key forwards are so rare whereas midfielders are also valueable but more common.

Knightmare have you had a chance to see Patrick Cripps play yet ?

I have indeed.

Much stronger body than Jamie and a much stronger ball winner and inside player but also has some ability outside making him intriguing at his height. He's looking like one of the better WA talents this year and is one to watch for in the second round.

Hey Knightmare, just asking about Jye Cross from Geelong Falcons? Do you see him getting drafted this year

Cross is one of that embarrassment of riches that is the Geelong Falcons.

Showing some good recent form down back. Making the Vic Country squad always helps you get noticed. If Jye continues his improvement certainly he has an opportunity to get drafted.
More a guy who may enter the mix with further good form than being a sure thing.

Any rookie ruckme that have caught your eye since I last asked about them?

Angus Milham or Darcy Cameron as rookies could be options. Maybe Agape Patolo.

No early options but one of these may be worth a shot as a rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen a couple of games of Agape and he is a LONGG way off AFL football!

Same with Milham. Both very much projects but guys with intrigue for different reasons.

Agape it sounds like you are familiar with. I'm not promoting him as a selection but he is one who if he improves late season may intrigue coming from rugby.

Milham is the even more interesting project. A long, long way off but is an extreme tall at 210cm which makes him long term potentially a monster if you put 6-8 years into him. But as with Agape such a long way off and the time really needs to go into him before he develops into anything.

Of the three Cameron is the safer pick who is not completely potential as a relatively productive ruckman. Not a crazy high upside type but a guy who could develop with 5-6 years in the system.

Same with Milham. Both very much projects but guys with intrigue for different reasons.

Agape it sounds like you are familiar with. I'm not promoting him as a selection but he is one who if he improves late season may intrigue coming from rugby.

Milham is the even more interesting project. A long, long way off but is an extreme tall at 210cm which makes him long term potentially a monster if you put 6-8 years into him. But as with Agape such a long way off and the time really needs to go into him before he develops into anything.

Of the three Cameron is the safer pick who is not completely potential as a relatively productive ruckman. Not a crazy high upside type but a guy who could develop with 5-6 years in the system.

Ive only seen Agape a couple of times but he is athletic. He doesn't dominate taps like he should and hardly gets a touch around the ground.

I'd agree with you that most ruckmen are going to have to serve there apprenticeship in the lower leagues from now on and hope that someone, anyone gives them a chance.

I like the promotion of Sean Tighe from out West. He is getting midfielder type numbers along with ruckmen hitout numbers.

Wanna hear more on a kid by the name of Seva Martin. Averaging 34 hitouts from 3 league games and at 208cm is genuine ruckmen height.

Sikora is the VFL one to watch. Essendon listed who is developing nicely under our noses.

Can see clubs paying a very high price for the services of both Daniel Curie and Daniel Gorringe as known AFL quantites.

Ive only seen Agape a couple of times but he is athletic. He doesn't dominate taps like he should and hardly gets a touch around the ground.

I'd agree with you that most ruckmen are going to have to serve there apprenticeship in the lower leagues from now on and hope that someone, anyone gives them a chance.

I like the promotion of Sean Tighe from out West. He is getting midfielder type numbers along with ruckmen hitout numbers.

Wanna hear more on a kid by the name of Seva Martin. Averaging 34 hitouts from 3 league games and at 208cm is genuine ruckmen height.

Sikora is the VFL one to watch. Essendon listed who is developing nicely under our noses.

Can see clubs paying a very high price for the services of both Daniel Curie and Daniel Gorringe as known AFL quantites.

I'm thinking the same with young Seva Martin. 208cm and dominating the hitouts in the games he's played. Just haven't seen him play or heard a thing about his game.
Would be a project but without knowing his game could be an intriguing long term option despite being those years older.

Sikora isn't so advanced that a club would pay more than a rookie selection for him. No more advanced than Dawson Simpson. Worth a shot if a team is willing to put a couple of years into him.

I'm thinking the same with young Seva Martin. 208cm and dominating the hitouts in the games he's played. Just haven't seen him play or heard a thing about his game.
Would be a project but without knowing his game could be an intriguing long term option despite being those years older.

Sikora isn't so advanced that a club would pay more than a rookie selection for him. No more advanced than Dawson Simpson. Worth a shot if a team is willing to put a couple of years into him.

Sikora is an interesting on in that he comes from that traditional basketball background and decided to give Football a serious crack (not sure if he was 19 or 20 but was playing every so often in Sandringham's ones).

Essendon are obviously looking at him to get him across to windy hill for season 2013. Was picked in the state game so high wraps.

Could you see him going in the 5 - 10 range with a big year? Pretty keen on him, would be a good addition to the dogs I reckon, seeing as we need the outside class and goal kicking mids, while still being hard at it.

Yeah somewhere in the 5-10 range sounds about right at the moment, he'd be a very good addition at the Bulldogs.

Knightmare what do you know about Mitch Norton from the jets? Seems to be on the goalsheet week in week out, is he a bottom age player?

Any rookie ruckme that have caught your eye since I last asked about them?

Darcy Cameron is a little better than a rookie prospect for me, he'd be the one I'd look at if I were desperate for a young ruckman in the national draft. And I would rather go early, than take my chances. Good skills for a big man, and definitely fits the athletic profile many are looking for now.

My two favourite rookie options would be Peter Steffe from South Adelaide and Max King from NSW. Steffe is a good tap ruckman, who has a long way to go in terms of impact around the ground but has been improving with every game. And King is a very unheralded forward/ruck, who GWS will have the first crack at through their academy. I'm quite high on him at the moment.

And I would certainly take Patolo before Milham, much better scope for improvement.

Hey KM what do you think of Jake Grieser and do you think anyone (hopefully the lions) would pick him up?

Knightmare what do you know about Mitch Norton from the jets? Seems to be on the goalsheet week in week out, is he a bottom age player?

He is an underager. A small (174cm) but finds the footy and you are right he hits the scoreboard so he may be in the mix next year.

Hey KM what do you think of Jake Grieser and do you think anyone (hopefully the lions) would pick him up?

Strong body. Built like an ox. Has a bit of nasty to him (good thing). Fierce tackler and does some damage.

As a rookie a guy you can take a chance on and possibly to pretty well with. Perhaps late draft if he closes the season out strongly so he is one to watch.

There are a few of these super big bodied types around so there will be some competition. If looking for something similar to Grieser I'd recommend taking a look at Brendan Abbott as another very strong body who also as a late draft/rookie selection be worth a look if available.

KM,

What should Melbourne do if they get pick 1. We have Clarke, Dawes, Hogan, Howe, Watts, Fitzpatrick and Gawn as key forwards and you have rated Boyd as a standout. By how much is Boyd better than pick 2? What would pick 1 be worth in terms of trading down? (i.e. would he be worth picks 2 and 10)

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back