Knights on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will start at Pick 10. And probabaly end there. Fair trade for both teams.

In last years draft maybe, but blokes who went late first round, early 2nd last year, would be going top 10 this year and you won't be picking up players of the quality of Rich, Ziebell, Sidebottom etc with mid-late first rounders, they'd be top 5 easily. I don't think many people actually realise how important Knights is to us and how good he could be, especially considering the direction the modern game is moving.

Blokes who can kick the ball 60+ metres and relatively accurately will be more and more damaging due to their ability to kick over zones. Couple this ability with Knights hard running, strong marking, pace, agility and natural ball finding ability, you've got a forward who will easily average 5 shots on goal a game, he may not kick them all, but considering his accuracy % this year, over a full season at half forward, he should kick 50-60 goals, at least. Players who can do this don't just grow on trees. There were 9 in the comp this year to kick 50 in the minor round, 4 kicked more than 60.

In the first quarter against Collingwood, Knights had already managed 7 possessions and 1.2, before going down with injury. His loss was massive to our forward line, there was a reason why we struggled to score so badly up forward in the 2nd quarter despite being the dominant side, and I think Knights going down with his injury was a big part of it.

In last years draft maybe, but blokes who went late first round, early 2nd last year, would be going top 10 this year and you won't be picking up players of the quality of Rich, Ziebell, Sidebottom etc with mid-late first rounders, they'd be top 5 easily. I don't think many people actually realise how important Knights is to us and how good he could be, especially considering the direction the modern game is moving.

Blokes who can kick the ball 60+ metres and relatively accurately will be more and more damaging due to their ability to kick over zones. Couple this ability with Knights hard running, strong marking, pace, agility and natural ball finding ability, you've got a forward who will easily average 5 shots on goal a game, he may not kick them all, but considering his accuracy % this year, over a full season at half forward, he should kick 50-60 goals, at least. Players who can do this don't just grow on trees. There were 9 in the comp this year to kick 50 in the minor round, 4 kicked more than 60.

In the first quarter against Collingwood, Knights had already managed 7 possessions and 1.2, before going down with injury. His loss was massive to our forward line, there was a reason why we struggled to score so badly up forward in the 2nd quarter despite being the dominant side, and I think Knights going down with his injury was a big part of it.

This

I put it as my main reason we lost in Carl's thread

Not only did we lose a dangerous forward who can kick it 60 metres, we lost a rotation on a hot night and players (Burton especially) struggled

Smack seems to know/ talk to Knights (or someone close) and i will take that for now over some crappy radio station in Victoria trying to rip our gun players away by starting rumours with nothing to back them up

The Vic media seems to love it when one gets a sniff of a homesick player. They all leech on. Remember how Hutchy looked so smugly on FC and said we can't possibly keep Kurt? What base did he have behind that?

The best thing IF Kurt signs is making him look like a bigger twat. Hopefully CK does this too, but i would expect the deal to be done through the H & A season in 2010

I just noticed i posted this in the wrong thread....

Remember the rumour last off season that Ben Rutten was out of contract and walking, so he could achieve his life long dream of playing for Carlton?

The moral? Carlton fans are w***ers. Disregard.

C'mon Elvis this is crazy talk. I love Chris Knights but if we got a pick in the top 10 I will be your Butler for a month. Pick 5, c'mon, seriously.

Why is it crazy talk?

Forget the romance and excitement with high draft picks, and tell me exactly what I said in that earlier post which was incorrect.

If you could use pick 5 to get a 25-30 possession per game player, who was also capable of playing HFF and kicking 50-60 goals a year, you'd do it without any hesitation what so ever.

Wouldn't you?

Then throw into the equation that Chris is actually a proven AFL player, and not a speculative draft pick, and I honestly can't see how you'd suggest he's not worth it.

So, again, tell me who/what you'd pick up in the draft that would contribute more than Knights (and again, Knights is already good enough that even the best players in the League are probably only 10%-15% better than him), and also guarantee that the draftee will live up to their potential, cope with AFL football, wont be struck down with injuries and wont have attitude issues?

As for Burgoyne - desperately wanted out, 27 years old, injury problems and never really hit the heights he was apparently capable of.

I hope it's all irrelevant regardless, as I'd hate to see Knighta leave.

Why is it crazy talk?

Forget the romance and excitement with high draft picks, and tell me exactly what I said in that earlier post which was incorrect.

If you could use pick 5 to get a 25-30 possession per game player, who was also capable of playing HFF and kicking 50-60 goals a year, you'd do it without any hesitation what so ever.

Wouldn't you?

Then throw into the equation that Chris is actually a proven AFL player, and not a speculative draft pick, and I honestly can't see how you'd suggest he's not worth it.

of course you would. he is the right age, right attitude, proven performer in recent times and certainly on an upward curve. could be one of the elite hff's in the league over coming years.

I've also heard this rumour from a very reliable source, i know that he's contracted until the end of next year, but if Adelaide want something decent in return from a melbourne based club in the last uncompromised draft it would make sense to trade him this year.

I would propose this 3 way trade:

Essendon gain: Chris Knights, late pick, lose: Andrew Lovett and pick 10

Brisbane gain: Andrew Lovett, Lose: pick 12

Adelaide gain: pick 10 and pick 12, Lose: chris Knights, late pick

Essendon are probably paying over the odds after one consistant season, but i have a feeling this guy is going to be a really good player.

If he desperately wanted to go home, I'd do the above.

In this years apparently mediocre draft, it would probably be slightly above the odds, but not much.

That being said, if he doesn't want to go home, I wouldn't trade him fullstop; I honestly think we'll be pushing for a flag over the next few years, and him playing HFF in the manner he has this year will be a major part of that.

I've also heard this rumour from a very reliable source, i know that he's contracted until the end of next year, but if Adelaide want something decent in return from a melbourne based club in the last uncompromised draft it would make sense to trade him this year.

I would propose this 3 way trade:

Essendon are probably paying over the odds after one consistant season, but i have a feeling this guy is going to be a really good player.

Certainly one of the better trade propositions I've heard in my time on BF, still not sure pick 10 and 12 would equal Knights in this shallow draft, but we could do a lot worse.

He doesn't speak for all us Essendon supporters you know. There's no way I'd do that deal.

Lovett is a game-breaker. He is quick, has got sublime footskills and he can go forward and most certainly slot a goal or two. Still has at least another 4 years left in him I feel, and they'd be super years at that. He is in the peak of his powers right about NOW. We'll get something good for him.

Knights is a good player who has the potential to kick a goal or two whilst playing half forward / wing. BUT, his field kicking & decision making is still suspect after another year of a few costly turnovers. He is an outside midfielder / half forward who doesn't have fantastic footskills. No thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did your reliable source happen to tell you why Knights wanted out? I find it incredibly hard to believe that he would want to leave.

He doesn't speak for all of us Essendon supporters you know. There's no way I'd do that deal.

Lovett is a game-breaker. He is quick, has got sublime footskills and he can go forward and most certainly slot a goal or two. Still has at least another 4 years left in him I feel, and they'd be super years at that. He is in the peak of his powers right about NOW. We'll get something good for him.

Knights is a good player who has the potential to kick a goal or two whilst playing half forward / wing. BUT, his field kicking & decision making is still suspect after another year of a few costly turnovers. He is an outside midfielder/half forward who doesn't have fantastic footskills. No thanks.

Not that i'd want to trade Knights, but you are crazy...Lovett played half a good year this year and the guy is in his prime? He is 27, he's just about to leave his prime. He & Knights virtually had the same year in 2009, but Knights was more dangerous in front of goals. Clearly you missed Knights rip you guys a new one in June.

He doesn't speak for all us Essendon supporters you know. There's no way I'd do that deal.

Knights is a good player who has the potential to kick a goal or two whilst playing half forward / wing. BUT, his field kicking & decision making is still suspect after another year of a few costly turnovers. He is an outside midfielder / half forward who doesn't have fantastic footskills. No thanks.
You would be about the only dons supporter that would not do the deal.
As my dons mates sat all the time, Lovett is lazy, he only runs when he has the ball. And he is a virus to the culture of a club.

I think you should go watch the round 11 game again, then tell me if Knights does not have good decision making and foot skills.

Whilst I think the proposed trade is good - I would rather a pick in the top 5 than picks 10 + 12.

would propose this 3 way trade:

absolute stupidity....... 2nd round at best......

Clearly you missed Knights rip you guys a new one in June.

Big deal. Clearly you missed Lovett tear your side a new one in the same game also. He had 31 disposals and a goal next to his name in a losing side; that's not bad. Knights kicked five from a 'young', 'leaky' defence; nothing to bang on about.

So you guys are telling me that this looks realistic?

There's no way that'd ever happen. Ever.

Big deal. Clearly you missed Lovett tear your side a new one in the same game also. He had 31 disposals and a goal next to his name in a losing side; that's not bad. Knights kicked five from a 'young', 'leaky' defence; nothing to bang on about.

So you guys are telling me that this looks realistic?

Would hardly call it "tearing us a new one" considering we actually won the match.

I don't know about you, but I'd rate Knights 5 goal, 22 possession, 7 inside 50, 4 clearance game, from a half forward, pretty highly. Umpires had him as 3rd BOG behind only Edwards (41 possessions) and Tippett (7 goals).

This is without mentioning that Knights has only just turned 23, Lovett is what 27? You've still got 7 or 8 quality years from Knights, you'd be lucky to get 4 from Lovett.

Would hardly call it "tearing us a new one" considering we actually won the match.

31 disposals and a goal in a losing side is supreme. Do you disagree with that? :eek:

This is without mentioning that Knights has only just turned 23, Lovett is what 27? You've still got 7 or 8 quality years from Knights, you'd be lucky to get 4 from Lovett.

Four quality years > Seven above average years. There's no substitute for quality.

Also lazy, ill-disciplined, selfish and allegedly (has it been ruled upon yet?) beat the shit out of his ex-girlfriend. Not to mention 27 years old and a front-runner. Still has another 4 super years left in him? Now you're just taking the piss. He might have a couple of great years and a couple of good ones left in him.

Knights is a good player who has the potential to kick a goal or two whilst playing half forward / wing.

Have you actually watched him play this year, or are you just bored and looking for something to do?

He's kicked ~45 goals and only played on the HFF for 2/3rds of the season, plus missed a couple through injury.

So he can kick more than 'a goal or two,' for a start.

BUT, his field kicking & decision making is still suspect after another year of a few costly turnovers.

This hasn't been true for the last two years, and was over-exaggerated in the years before that anyway. Which 'few costly turnovers' were they? I can't recall any.

He is an outside midfielder / half forward who doesn't have fantastic footskills. No thanks.

Outside midfielder?

You've got no idea.

whats the rules about posting rumors? is there any?

i have head some creditable information however i dont want to put knights or this forum in a position especially if my inforamtion is inacctuate....as i heard it form someone who HAS heard it....

31 disposals and a goal in a losing side is supreme. Do you disagree with that? :eek:

Four quality years > Seven above average years. There's no substitute for quality.
I'd take Knight's career over Lovett's.

No offence mate, but Lovett may get 'give' the ball by his team mates and do some flashy things here and there, but Knighta busts a gut on offence AND defense.

He's not only a much much better ball winner that Lovett, he's a better team player, defensive player, leader and also suits our requirements a lot more.

Also who wouldn't want Knighta's 65 meter bombs!

Also lazy, ill-disciplined, selfish and allegedly (has it been ruled upon yet?) beat the shit out of his ex-girlfriend. Not to mention 27 years old and a front-runner. Still has another 4 super years left in him? Now you're just taking the piss. He might have a couple of great years and a couple of good ones left in him.

Outside midfielder?

You've got no idea.

He lost me when he siad Lovett was quality

If he was quality, why weren't other clubs scrambling over each other to pick him up whe he asked to be traded?

No one wanted him. He's oldish and he's damaged goods. And he's not that good. He's an ok player, but has no upside. Knights has a heap of upside

More than happy to have a quality convo with an opposition supporter, but his comments are a joke and i feel he may be taking the piss. I would actually feel sorry if he believes what he is typing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Knights on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back