Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 17, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/90626/default.aspx

First-year midfielder Koby Stevens looks to be in Worsfold's planning ahead of round one, with the mature-bodied recruit set to line up for WAFL side East Fremantle this weekend to push his claims for an early season debut.

"We've applied to the AFL for a few of our players that haven't played all pre-season games and will benefit from playing this weekend in terms of pushing up for selection in round one," Worsfold said.

"Out of the guys that played against Melbourne on the weekend only [Tom] Swift and Koby Stevens have applied to play."

Not suprising as he has the body to play immediately. However I think, judging by our pre-season our current midfielders are ahead of him (nobody has glaringly bad form) and he will only make Emergency. Unless Worsfold puts him in as a forward like he did with Masten in his first year.

If Priddis and Waters are deemed unfit he'd be fighting with McGinnity and Scott Selwood for the last spot wouldn't he?

Rosa would be a bit nervous with Stevens coming into calculations.

Rosa, height 189cms, weight 82kgs
Stevens, 187cms, 83kgs.

Sounds like Swift no certainty for Round 1 if they want him to play a WAFL game next week.
Tommy is OK, just needs more game time after missing the early matches. ;)

I think this more or less gives the idea he is needed round 1 or they would take him along more slowly and miss round 1.

Rosa would be a bit nervous with Stevens coming into calculations.

Rosa, height 189cms, weight 82kgs
Stevens, 187cms, 83kgs.

huh? What the hell does Rosa have to do with anything? Honestly..

Swift playing WAFL doesn't surprise me. He's outside my 22 in the Round 1 side v Brisbane thread, and surely at best he's fighting for a spot in the bench. He needs to regain some fitness and form and this is the perfect opportunity for him to do so.. if he chops up and collects 35 touches for Claremont then he'll be in.

Stevens they're more giving the opportunity to press his claims for round 1. But he'd have to have an absolute blinder to be considered. Really it's just extra miles in the legs of a physically ready-to-go kid that's had a limited preseason. This way he might be ready to go in round 4 instead of round 5.

huh? What the hell does Rosa have to do with anything? Honestly..
Rosa has had a less than spectacular preseason, my point was Stevens is about the same size and has been trialed on the wing.

Swift is definitely in the plans for the next finals assault, he is in my best 22. Swift is one of the players that need games under their belt for us to progress as a team.

Rosa is a good footballer but he is not going to improve alarmingly from here and he is a borderline mid IMO.

I'd love to see Koby in there, the small size of our mids is a real problem and he would help to remedy that.

Having said that, if he's not fit enough to run out a full game that would create its own problems.

...and Shuey? Woosh won't throw them both in there straight up, and I'd say Shue would be a bit more deserving to debut rd 1 (because of his tough year in 09 and the fact that it's his second season, but only Kob's first)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...and Shuey? Woosh won't throw them both in there straight up, and I'd say Shue would be a bit more deserving to debut rd 1 (because of his tough year in 09 and the fact that it's his second season, but only Kob's first)

I'd just rather have the player who can contribute most in the team, rather than whose been on the list longest. Not saying Stevens is better than Shuey though, just wouldn't put people in the team based on how many years they have been on the list.

Rosa has had a less than spectacular preseason, my point was Stevens is about the same size and has been trialed on the wing.

Rosa is a good footballer but he is not going to improve alarmingly from here and he is a borderline mid IMO.

Rosa is the only one with an adequate tank.

I'm not a fan of Rosa but he plays his role and he's easily best 22.

I'd just rather have the player who can contribute most in the team, rather than whose been on the list longest. Not saying Stevens is better than Shuey though, just wouldn't put people in the team based on how many years they have been on the list.

I totally agree. I'm just saying that Shue was starved of oppurtunity because of injuries last year and he probably wants/NEEDS it more at this stage, athough I haven't actually seen Stevie-Wonder play as of yet, so I can't compare them.

I'd be happy with either but would prefer to see Shuey debut first if there is a choice of either him or Stevens and WC had them about par with each other.

couldnt possibly deserve a callup. As much as im interested to see what this kid can do, surely its better if he plays a few rounds in the WAFL at the beginning of the season to get some form, fitness and confidence before making his AFL debut. Especially considering his lack of an appearance in the NAB cup.

Would gladly put money on it that he doesnt debut round 1.

Rosa does not feature in our best endurance players.

Stevens is renown for his excellent running power, got run with roles against Scully in the TAC.

rosa is a good endurance runner. Haven't seen any of steven and very little of shuey but from what i've been reading they are going to be fantastic players. To me rosa is a very solid player he does what is asked of him but is never really a standout. in my eyes he has to do more (tackle more, kick goals ect) to keep his spot because we have many young guys coming through and it's very possible his spot could be taken. also is scooter in the mix for round 1?

Well I am gutted, never did I ever think I would have to read this kind of nonsense, if Rosa is in our best 22 we are royally screwed. I just finished watching most of last years games and to be honest he must have caught Worsfold stealing from the Rebels bikie club with how he gets game after game and does absolutely nothing but run and turn the ball over ffs.

Show me the game ( note the singular ) were Rosa shone, won the game or even dominated possessions and damaged opposition teams ? he doesn't. All he does is run get an easy spill or lay off and bomb it high to a contest every freaking time.

You would think he would need close to 40 possessions and a few goals to command a place in the rd1 team vs Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Koby Stevens a chance for Round 1 callup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back