Koby Stevens a chance for Round 1 callup

Remove this Banner Ad

Rosa is the only one with an adequate tank.

I'm not a fan of Rosa but he plays his role and he's easily best 22.

Rosa is probably in the best 22, but I don't think he easily makes it. His position is definitely under threat. Having a "big tank" is all very well, when you are competing for a spot on the list with kids. But eventually, that advantage diminishes as the kids mature and their fitness levels increase.

Fundamentally, Rosa has average disposal and isn't damaging enough. He's a depth player. Unless, of course, he really starts to step up.

Well I am gutted, never did I ever think I would have to read this kind of nonsense, if Rosa is in our best 22 we are royally screwed. I just finished watching most of last years games and to be honest he must have caught Worsfold stealing from the Rebels bikie club with how he gets game after game and does absolutely nothing but run and turn the ball over ffs.

Show me the game ( note the singular ) were Rosa shone, won the game or even dominated possessions and damaged opposition teams ? he doesn't. All he does is run get an easy spill or lay off and bomb it high to a contest every freaking time.
Alright, that's bullshit. I'm sick of the Rosa bashing that still goes on. Granted, the guy doesn't have the greatest skills in the world but if you honestly still think that he doesn't do his fair share for the team then you need to open your eyes.

Alright, that's bullshit. I'm sick of the Rosa bashing that still goes on. Granted, the guy doesn't have the greatest skills in the world but if you honestly still think that he doesn't do his fair share for the team then you need to open your eyes.

this

Rosa had a good game against Freo last year in round 17

I'd suggest Stevens playing early on will depend on how Pridis is travelling with his knee. Both are big bodied inside mids and Pridis's knee has needed to be managed late in the preseason.

Not a bad situation to be in TBH, we have a similar quality young player ready to step up and will allow Pridis to manage / extend his career as opposed to playing him with pain killers every week.

Who really cares who we think has first dibs .... thats for the match committee to decide .:eek:

What we should be thrilled about is :

1) There is now genuine competition for spots in the team.
2) We are now staring to get alternative options.

Guys thats part of the ingredient that build strong powerful sides, not only the competition from other teams , but competition for places in the starting 22. :D

Its called depth and we are starting to get some. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Halla..****ken ..louula.

Who really cares who we think has first dibs .... thats for the match committee to decide .:eek:

Guys thats part of the ingredient that build strong powerful sides, not only the competition from other teams , but competition for places in the starting 22. :D

Its called depth and we are starting to get some. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Halla..****ken ..louula.

You've come to the wrong board to talk sense Monocle, good sir, now be off with you!:p

I don't think people quite understand Rosa's role in the side.

It's not winning the hard ball, or dashing down the wing and penetrating forward, or even being particularly damaging.

His role is as a typical pressure-relieving linkman. His job is to simply present and present. Something you can't deny he does well.

The result of his role is the ball is in a constant state of movement, he relieves pressure from team-mates and he provides a good transitional option.

It would be great if he was an ace kick and as tough as Waters, but it's not to be.

However, his role does have value, much like Rowan Jones' did.

As I said, I'm not a fan of Rosa's but surely you can see why he's in the side?

Stevens was talked up as an absolute gun player- many had him as a top 10 draft pick. It'd be crazy to draft someone like this and not give him chances.

Apparently he is MASSIVE for an 18 year old, so maybe he could have an immediate impact. I can see him challenging Masten, Ebert, Swift and Shuey for the title of our #1 mid over the next few years.

He doesn't seem to get talked about much on this forum, but i hope that isn't an indication of how he'll go at our club. There's a lot of other clubs (that don't have our midfield depth) that would kill to have Stevens on their list.

Can't wait to see him play!:D

(Originally Posted by Monocle

Guys thats part of the ingredient that build strong powerful sides, not only the competition from other teams , but competition for places in the starting 22.

Its called depth and we are starting to get some)

agree totally...its all good!

anyone got a picture of this Koby Unit?

2qi3ero.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching Stevens play against Melbourne on the weekend I didn't think he was ready for round 1.
After watching Stevens play against Melbourne on the weekend, I did think he was ready for round 1, however there are a number of players ahead of him such as Shuey, Swift, Masten, Ebert & Co. I have no doubt that Stevens could have an immediate impact at AFL level (has kicked a goal a game so far, uses the ball well, strong enough to compete in close), however IMO his chance will come later this season, or earlier depending on injuries.

After watching Stevens play against Melbourne on the weekend I didn't think he was ready for round 1.
I agree

Lacked a bit of polish. Have no doubt his chance will come, but his limited pre-season has left him a bit rusty, and it seemed to me he was blowing pretty hard on the boundary line after a relatively short run on the field.

I agree

Lacked a bit of polish. Have no doubt his chance will come, but his limited pre-season has left him a bit rusty, and it seemed to me he was blowing pretty hard on the boundary line after a relatively short run on the field.

if we were lacking in depth i think we'd be happy enough to play him from round 1,
but due to the competition for positions we have right now,
we'll be able to let him build up through the WAFL.

who is koby playing WAFL for?

"West Coast captain Darren Glass has dubbed Victorian teenagers Luke Shuey and Koby Stevens as the club's next midfield excitement machines.

The big-bodied youngsters have already shown glimpses in the pre-season of their aggressive ball-getting ability

Glass said the pair showed a similar ball-hunting hunger to star Eagles midfielder Daniel Kerr."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ns-shuey-will-turn-on-eagles-fans-says-glass/

Great wrap on Stevens & Shuey by Glassy.

Our future midfield is looking better and better. Swift Masten Shuey Ebert Stevens Sheppard have all shown great qualities and signs so far. And if that's not enough..

they'll be rucking to Naitinui.

"West Coast captain Darren Glass has dubbed Victorian teenagers Luke Shuey and Koby Stevens as the club's next midfield excitement machines.

The big-bodied youngsters have already shown glimpses in the pre-season of their aggressive ball-getting ability

Glass said the pair showed a similar ball-hunting hunger to star Eagles midfielder Daniel Kerr."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ns-shuey-will-turn-on-eagles-fans-says-glass/

Great wrap on Stevens & Shuey by Glassy.

Our future midfield is looking better and better. Swift Masten Shuey Ebert Stevens Sheppard have all shown great qualities and signs so far. And if that's not enough..

they'll be rucking to Naitinui.
Stevens sliding to us in the draft was a miracle, I had him clearly in the first round picks.

Two things have me curious.

1. We chose Weedon ahead of Stevens, how good is Weedon then!

2. There were a lot of knockers saying this was a shallow draft after the top twenty or so with no real standouts. I wonder if this draft is actually loaded with genuine top quality that runs quite deep. I personally think it was a draft laden with talent.

Weedon was jumped on early by half a round early by Westcoast. Next pick was best available. Wish we had another top 30 pick though.
That is the common theory and most likely right but the same was said of Shuey's selection the year before and that looks like a stroke of genius. ;)

At the time of the draft I thought we would have seriously looked at Callum Bartlett of even Travis Colyer as another small forward option.

I also expected us to take a spare tall with Aaron Black when he was still available (another slider).

Remove this Banner Ad

Koby Stevens a chance for Round 1 callup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back