Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives
  • Jayden Hunt - great work my friend, stood up when the rest of your mates would rather piss the game away.

• Ginbey certainly thereabouts, looked a bit more comfortable today.

• I will absolutely spew if we lose Harry Edwards. Pay the man, he will lead our defence into the future.

• Jack Williams continues to perform.

• Maric building week to week, love his touch with the footy and able to hit the scoreboard.

Negatives
  • A gutless, uninspiring, limp performance against one of the historically bad, laughing stock football sides the league has ever seen. We are now looking very much like that.

• There needs to be some SERIOUS questions asked of our plan to develop players. Beyond a small handful, our list is buggered and there doesn't seem to be any solid plan to address this. Our WAFL situation is a mess - guys cannot learn or develop getting belted week in week out with no experienced, mature bodies around them. Selection for the senior side is like a game of roulette where boys will be named, dropped, named, played out of position, subbed out, dropped, named, starting sub, dropped... I, for the life of me, cannot understand this process. There is no continuity, little reward for effort and you cannot expect anyone to learn with such a volatile playing situation. No wonder most of the guys look uninterested - would anyone enjoy being played like this? Campbell Chesser, yes the serial haters are all out of the woodwork today. He is a PRIME example. Drop the boy back to the WAFL to get some confidence back into his game. Find where he best benefits the side, where he's comfortable playing and where he's going to get the most out of the skills he quite clearly has. You CANNOT have it both ways - why drop him for a week, bring him back, not even play him in the guts and sub him out. What did he get out of today? Yes he's been around for a while... but for god sake, with injury and the lack of sense in our player development department, he doesn't stand a chance.

• Reid continues to get targeted and beaten up by opposition teams. Soooo... are we going to help him or just let him get a touch up at every contest? He's a serious player, runs all day, always offers us something and hopefully will do for years to come. He needs protection.

• Defence got whacked (no surprise), however we have a habit of making absolute hacks look like superstars, and have done for years. It's truly an embarrassment. Slow, guarding space... etc.

• 0 forward 50 tackles, are we having a laugh?

• Rotham as the sub??? Let me get this straight. During the week, they sit down and work out who's going to bring the fresh legs and a bit of juice into the side. Rotham, yep, perfect. He is delist material. I would much rather see someone like Dewar get some run into his legs, at least there is some x-factor there. But then again, these days by the time we make the sub, the game is far out of our reach anyway.

• In no particular order - Bailey Williams, Cripps, Petrucelle, Jones, Luke Edwards. I will give Culley the benefit of the doubt today, same with Ryan after last week. A few names here that just should not be in the side. Bailey can't mark, can't kick, got pummelled in the ruck... what's the point? Cripps had an absolute stinker. Petrucelle, underdone? Again, why persist? Jones is firmly on the pile for the shredder. Edwards? Didn't even know he was playing.
___

I don't even know. We are going to get fisted by Fremantle next week and made to look even moreso like a pack of clowns. My interest is dwindling, NFL season could not come quick enough.

Forget about J Williams in the ruck. He’s trending as a AA key forward. He shouldn’t be used in the ruck any more than O Allen.
I think Allen should be in the ruck. Needs to get involved and throw some weight around in there. We're being bullied at the stoppages and that's where all our problems stem from I believe. No point having a great full forward when balls up the other end all day

Positives
  • Jayden Hunt - great work my friend, stood up when the rest of your mates would rather piss the game away.

• I will absolutely spew if we lose Harry Edwards. Pay the man, he will lead our defence into the future.

• Maric building week to week, love his touch with the footy and able to hit the scoreboard.

Negatives
  • A gutless, uninspiring, limp performance against one of the historically bad, laughing stock football sides the league has ever seen. We are now looking very much like that.

• There needs to be some SERIOUS questions asked of our plan to develop players. Beyond a small handful, our list is buggered and there doesn't seem to be any solid plan to address this. Our WAFL situation is a mess - guys cannot learn or develop getting belted week in week out with no experienced, mature bodies around them. Selection for the senior side is like a game of roulette where boys will be named, dropped, named, played out of position, subbed out, dropped, named, starting sub, dropped... I, for the life of me, cannot understand this process. There is no continuity, little reward for effort and you cannot expect anyone to learn with such a volatile playing situation. No wonder most of the guys look uninterested - would anyone enjoy being played like this? Campbell Chesser, yes the serial haters are all out of the woodwork today. He is a PRIME example. Drop the boy back to the WAFL to get some confidence back into his game. Find where he best benefits the side, where he's comfortable playing and where he's going to get the most out of the skills he quite clearly has. You CANNOT have it both ways - why drop him for a week, bring him back, not even play him in the guts and sub him out. What did he get out of today? Yes he's been around for a while... but for god sake, with injury and the lack of sense in our player development department, he doesn't stand a chance.

• Reid continues to get targeted and beaten up by opposition teams. Soooo... are we going to help him or just let him get a touch up at every contest? He's a serious player, runs all day, always offers us something and hopefully will do for years to come. He needs protection.

• Defence got whacked (no surprise), however we have a habit of making absolute hacks look like superstars, and have done for years. It's truly an embarrassment. Slow, guarding space... etc.

• Rotham as the sub??? Let me get this straight. During the week, they sit down and work out who's going to bring the fresh legs and a bit of juice into the side. Rotham, yep, perfect. He is delist material. I would much rather see someone like Dewar get some run into his legs, at least there is some x-factor there. But then again, these days by the time we make the sub, the game is far out of our reach anyway.

• In no particular order - Bailey Williams, Cripps, Petrucelle, Jones, Luke Edwards. I will give Culley the benefit of the doubt today, same with Ryan after last week. A few names here that just should not be in the side. Bailey can't mark, can't kick, got pummelled in the ruck... what's the point? Cripps had an absolute stinker. Petrucelle, underdone? Again, why persist? Jones is firmly on the pile for the shredder. Edwards? Didn't even know he was playing.
___

I don't even know. We are going to get fisted by Fremantle next week and made to look even moreso like a pack of clowns. My interest is dwindling, NFL season could not come quick enough.
replace NFL with cricket and yes I agree

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Allen should be in the ruck. Needs to get involved and throw some weight around in there. We're being bullied at the stoppages and that's where all our problems stem from I believe. No point having a great full forward when balls up the other end all day
Allen's not the "throw his weight around" type ruck at all.

He leaps up with 1 arm for the tap.

He is odds on to do another knee in the ruck

He was shit, but he is 2nd for the season at the Eagles behind Darling for tackles inside 50.

Darling has been number 1 and Cripps number two for 2024, 2023, 2022 and 2019. Those same two also lead in 2020 and 2021 but with Cripps as the number 1.

Isn't this the problem though, we've been the worst pressure forward team in the comp for the best part of 5 years. Of course those two blokes are the top tacklers in there no-ones come close to playing as many games. I bet Bailey Williams is leading the side over the last two years for hit-outs, I suppose that makes him an elite ruckman.

Positives

Negatives

___

great post 100% spot on

Was chatting with my Dees supporter mate about both our clubs and he reckons Viney is the only absolutely brutal trainer - the only one who will not accept less than 100% and will get angry at skill errors etc.

I actually don't know if we even have one of those. Maybe Yeo but he doesn't seem super highly regarded within the club as an off-field leader for whatever reason.

Our 06 side was an absolute rat pack but they had like 7-8 of those guys. You'd hear stories about Kerr losing it at anyone who missed a handball, as he considered it a basic skill like reading and writing that you should not be able to **** up. Chick, Cousins, Glass, Cox later in his career, Waters even as a young bloke, Embley, all different personalities and not all mates but would drive standards and challenge each other.

I don't think it's all on the coaches. A lot is, but as a player group I really think we do need someone like a Luke Parker to come in with that in mind, and the new coach challenging guys like Ginbey, Hewett, Reid, even Waterman to really step things up off field and start generating that culture. We don't have anything near it at the moment and it shows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't this the problem though, we've been the worst pressure forward team in the comp for the best part of 5 years. Of course those two blokes are the top tacklers in there no-ones come close to playing as many games. I bet Bailey Williams is leading the side over the last two years for hit-outs, I suppose that makes him an elite ruckman.
Cripps has previously lead the AFL for tackles inside 50.

It's not a weakness of his, the totals are no different to the averages except Hutchinson is in there from his crazy 10 tackle game.

Cripps is leading high up the ground at the moment to try be an outlet. He averages 1.5 tackles inside 50 per game over his career which is considered elite.

Ryan is 0.6
Petch is 0.4
Long is 0.8

From other clubs (career)
K Pickett 1.5
W. Rioli is 1.1
Bolton 0.8
Schultz 1.3
Jamie Elliot 1.3
Papley 1
Weightman 1.1
Greene 0.8
Ginnivan 0.7

If you made Cripps more of a defensive forward I think he'd be capable of being right up there in the AFL again, provided we had a decent supply. At the moment he's spending less time in that role and more as a very high half forward.

Oscar legit looks like he’s going to burst into tears at stages here

Well.... I dunno

What a terrible culture and appalling lack of standards and accountability there has been since the 18 flag.

No different than business. I've just gone through the worst 5 weeks of my life. 5 weeks straight of doing 17+ hours a day. 48 hr no sleep benders. Sleeping at the business on a 2 hr nap.

And my accountants do 8 to 4 with not a care in the world. And what a pay rise and a car.

The hammer is falling. Demoting one and sacking the other. And sacking another clerical that's taking the pi$$.

Standards and accountability.

Was chatting with my Dees supporter mate about both our clubs and he reckons Viney is the only absolutely brutal trainer - the only one who will not accept less than 100% and will get angry at skill errors etc.

I actually don't know if we even have one of those. Maybe Yeo but he doesn't seem super highly regarded within the club as an off-field leader for whatever reason.

Our 06 side was an absolute rat pack but they had like 7-8 of those guys. You'd hear stories about Kerr losing it at anyone who missed a handball, as he considered it a basic skill like reading and writing that you should not be able to **** up. Chick, Cousins, Glass, Cox later in his career, Waters even as a young bloke, Embley, all different personalities and not all mates but would drive standards and challenge each other.

I don't think it's all on the coaches. A lot is, but as a player group I really think we do need someone like a Luke Parker to come in with that in mind, and the new coach challenging guys like Ginbey, Hewett, Reid, even Waterman to really step things up off field and start generating that culture. We don't have anything near it at the moment and it shows.
Nailed it.

So true!!

Even at local spud level if you miss a target you do a lap.

We need to bring that discipline back.

In fact all AFL teams should have these standards really.

It all feels very amatuerish

Disagree, hes bad enough that hes not good enough.

Same tier as LEdwards
Trew has quick hands in close and can get clearances. When he gets in the open he does have vision and can create play.
Obviously, there’s a lot of room for improvement but he’s only played 9 games half as sub. More to work with as a genuine midfielder which we have few of.

LEdwards is a mark, stop, short kick player. He even misses a lot of the short kicks.

And yet, for a long time, Cripps was the source of pressure acts for us.

Not sure who stole that Cripps but the one we had today was ………

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Father Time may have caught up with Cripps as he is only a shadow of his former self for whatever reason.

Best positive I can think of out of today is that we have hit rock bottom. some would say the hawks game was rock bottom but we had a coach to sack and blame now we are ****ed. Had we changed coach and won 2 or more games for the remainder of the year i feel the board, fringe players, development coaches etc etc get a slap on the wrist and 2024 gets swept under the rug. Now we are forced to make changes. Hopefully 20 jobs are replaced at seasons end, 10 players and another 10 in coaching and board level

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back