Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Best positive I can think of out of today is that we have hit rock bottom. some would say the hawks game was rock bottom but we had a coach to sack and blame now we are ****ed. Had we changed coach and won 2 or more games for the remainder of the year i feel the board, fringe players, development coaches etc etc get a slap on the wrist and 2024 gets swept under the rug. Now we are forced to make changes. Hopefully 20 jobs are replaced at seasons end, 10 players and another 10 in coaching and board level
Oh we haven't hit rock bottom yet.

With simmo they all respected simmo due to his credentials of being a premiership coach.

We still don't know what happens when the squad straight out has no respect for the coach. I have a feeling over next couple of weeks the squad will reveal themselves as having no respect for Jarrod sadly. We will likely have 100 point losses.

Nobody can say the squad didn't respect simmo or think he can't coach.

I think Father Time may have caught up with Cripps as he is only a shadow of his former self for whatever reason.
Yep, he looks like what I’ve been going through being way too old to be playing footy. I can still take a mark and hit targets by foot most of the time, but when the ball hits the ground I struggle to pick it up cleanly. Cripps looks exactly how I feel when the ball hits the deck and that’s age catching up with you.

Trew has quick hands in close and can get clearances. When he gets in the open he does have vision and can create play.
Obviously, there’s a lot of room for improvement but he’s only played 9 games half as sub. More to work with as a genuine midfielder which we have few of.

LEdwards is a mark, stop, short kick player. He even misses a lot of the short kicks.
Im grouping them all together because theyre all not good enough. There is different levels of bad, but im not making that distinction.

Trew is in that group because he cant be in the team if we want to go anywhere

Oh we haven't hit rock bottom yet.

With simmo they all respected simmo due to his credentials of being a premiership coach.

We still don't know what happens when the squad straight out has no respect for the coach. I have a feeling over next couple of weeks the squad will reveal themselves as having no respect for Jarrod sadly. We will likely have 100 point losses.

Nobody can say the squad didn't respect simmo or think he can't coach.

Exactly this.

The squad knows the cleanout is coming.

They know J.Schofield won't be head coach next year.

They know it's likely that few of the current group of coaches will be at the club next year.

They also know that probably 10-12 players will never play an AFL game again after this year.

Morale is about to fall through the floor and it can be expected that on-field effort and commitment will drop in step with it.

I place the club as most likely to finish bottom.

Well.... I dunno

What a terrible culture and appalling lack of standards and accountability there has been since the 18 flag.

No different than business. I've just gone through the worst 5 weeks of my life. 5 weeks straight of doing 17+ hours a day. 48 hr no sleep benders. Sleeping at the business on a 2 hr nap.

And my accountants do 8 to 4 with not a care in the world. And what a pay rise and a car.

The hammer is falling. Demoting one and sacking the other. And sacking another clerical that's taking the pi$$.

Standards and accountability.
Take care of yourself pal, I’ve been in the exact same spot in the exact same field and your health is a valuable commodity and working like this is horrific for it.

Hope you can get a break soon.

Not a lot of positives but young players do not travel well and saints beat Sydney 2 weeks ago. Difference in class and also form.

Bugger bodies of Steele, sinclair, jones and hill bullied the midfield with only Kelly really. Young players can’t do it for 4 quarters.

Zero forward line tackles requires changes. We cannot go on like this.

Exactly this.

The squad knows the cleanout is coming.

They know J.Schofield won't be head coach next year.

They know it's likely that few of the current group of coaches will be at the club next year.

They also know that probably 10-12 players will never play an AFL game again after this year.

Morale is about to fall through the floor and it can be expected that on-field effort and commitment will drop in step with it.
All the more reason to just keep anybody who has their papers marked OUT of the side.

Not a lot of positives but young players do not travel well and saints beat Sydney 2 weeks ago. Difference in class and also form.

Bugger bodies of Steele, sinclair, jones and hill bullied the midfield with only Kelly really. Young players can’t do it for 4 quarters.

Zero forward line tackles requires changes. We cannot go on like this.
And yet somehow we do.
Amy Poehler Expectations GIF

Well.... I dunno

What a terrible culture and appalling lack of standards and accountability there has been since the 18 flag.

No different than business. I've just gone through the worst 5 weeks of my life. 5 weeks straight of doing 17+ hours a day. 48 hr no sleep benders. Sleeping at the business on a 2 hr nap.

And my accountants do 8 to 4 with not a care in the world. And what a pay rise and a car.

The hammer is falling. Demoting one and sacking the other. And sacking another clerical that's taking the pi$$.

Peaks and troughs for lack of better words my brother. 2018 eagles vs 2024 eagles, so different..
There's our team and there's our lives.. Our lives are more important
Eagles aside, I hope your next 5 week's are better my guy 🙏

Just finished watching. Can’t believe super coach Schofield didn’t just scream at the players heaps and get them to turn into stars?

Effort awful in so many ways, refusal to follow the man past the mark for the handball receive, heads dropped when the little run started before turning into a big run, surely a spray or two could have solved everything.

Positives:
  • Never need to see LEdwards, Jones, Trew ever again, so that’s some list decisions made. Good use of time in a dead season. Witherden same camp but early season form may may may maaaay save him.
  • Ginbey very pleasing. Hunt off HBF where he belongs also a winner.
  • JWilliams is a deadeye for a bloke his size.

Negatives:
  • Effort and chase from behind in a tiny ground was awful. Was clearly part of our strategy to move it forward ourselves so surely the same in reverse…
  • Marshall decidedly far too average to get a superstar whistle. Any danger of a legal ruck contests ump? If Harley gets mangled and abused like that then how does Rohan Marshall get the star calls? Gee.
  • Booing of Reid was properly odd. Beats watching St Kilda so I get it but can’t work out why it even started. Getting chipped off the ball by Marshall isn’t a booable offense.
  • Don’t pick Culley and just play him as a nothing forward. Genuinely no point and we don’t get any view of what he could be at AFL level because we already know it’s not that.
  • Cripps, Hutch, Petch invisible, Jones involved but terrible. Need some polish to be able to rotate through there.
  • Bailey worked into it as the game went on, before the whistle killed the ruck duel around 3QT, but he’s simply not a ruckman. Get Flynn back in and let him be our fourth option forward/pinch hit ruck who spends time in the WAFL for a while.
  • TB was too good for the stats to show his man getting a bag. God bless the boy.
  • Ryan possibly rubbed out for the bump that didn’t injure but had the potential to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Allen should be in the ruck. Needs to get involved and throw some weight around in there. We're being bullied at the stoppages and that's where all our problems stem from I believe. No point having a great full forward when balls up the other end all day
You can't put Allen in the ruck with his knees.
The reason he's having injury troubles now is that Simmo was playing him as an undersized 2nd ruck as a 19/20 year old

Maybe harsh given he’s coming back from a long injury layoff but I thought Oscar’s attitude was disappointing from the start today. We need a leader who can show some fire and lift his teammates up. I don’t think he’s a write-off as a captain by any means but the fact him and Duggan are in those roles really is a by-product of our terrible list demographics
In hindsight it should have gone to gov,.despite age.

Well.... I dunno

Sounds like you own your own business. I sure as hell wouldnt be pulling those sort of hrs as an employee.

Harley getting booed is annoying me. When he's up and about smiling and being a swinging dick like he was before his suspension, you're confident it's not affecting him and he's just enjoying his footy and being out there.

But nowadays when he's involved in everything, not all good things either, he's targetted by opposition players, and coaches, he's arguing with the umpire more, his coach that's been at the club for 11 years has just been sacked, he's clearly not enjoying his football like he once was. Hearing him booed on top of all that when you can see he's getting frustrated as his team is still usless and shit, is ominous.

The arguing with the umpire really does need to stop. He wasn't doing that in his first 10 games.

Weird hill to die on. Likely one gets a contract for next year. Do you care which one gets kept and which goes? Or still the same category?
If either is on the list next year id expect them to play a significant portion of the year in the WAFL.
I do not care

I dont see how thats a weird hill to die on, I would have thought its pretty obvious neither have a future at AFL level in the medium term

Just finished watching. Can’t believe super coach Schofield didn’t just scream at the players heaps and get them to turn into stars?

Effort awful in so many ways, refusal to follow the man past the mark for the handball receive, heads dropped when the little run started before turning into a big run, surely a spray or two could have solved everything.

Positives:
  • Never need to see LEdwards, Jones, Trew ever again, so that’s some list decisions made. Good use of time in a dead season. Witherden same camp but early season form may may may maaaay save him.
  • Ginbey very pleasing. Hunt off HBF where he belongs also a winner.
  • JWilliams is a deadeye for a bloke his size.

Negatives:
  • Effort and chase from behind in a tiny ground was awful. Was clearly part of our strategy to move it forward ourselves so surely the same in reverse…
  • Marshall decidedly far too average to get a superstar whistle. Any danger of a legal ruck contests ump? If Harley gets mangled and abused like that then how does Rohan Marshall get the star calls? Gee.
  • Booing of Reid was properly odd. Beats watching St Kilda so I get it but can’t work out why it even started. Getting chipped off the ball by Marshall isn’t a booable offense.
  • Don’t pick Culley and just play him as a nothing forward. Genuinely no point and we don’t get any view of what he could be at AFL level because we already know it’s not that.
  • Cripps, Hutch, Petch invisible, Jones involved but terrible. Need some polish to be able to rotate through there.
  • Bailey worked into it as the game went on, before the whistle killed the ruck duel around 3QT, but he’s simply not a ruckman. Get Flynn back in and let him be our fourth option forward/pinch hit ruck who spends time in the WAFL for a while.
  • TB was too good for the stats to show his man getting a bag. God bless the boy.
  • Ryan possibly rubbed out for the bump that didn’t injure but had the potential to?

What exactly is the problem with Trew? To be honest these past 2 games are the only ones I can remember ever seeing him play and I've been pleasantly surprised. Seems to me he's not having too much trouble finding the ball despite stepping up a level, and as an inside mid his hands are fast and clean and today he's racked up 14 of them [handballs]. Sure his kicking is putrid, but I think he's doing pretty well with the opportunity he's been given. We don't have a single player in the WAFL who's consistently racking up the sort of numbers he's had when at his best this season. I'd be inclined to keep him on and let him continue to develop in the WAFL and just know that if he's needed due to injury he's not the sort of player who's going to come in and just not find the ball at all. And we have plenty of those.

Jones it delist material for sure. Luke Edwards I get the criticisms and I'll understand if he's delisted but I still kinda wonder if he's actually not just suffering the effects of playing the role he's been asked to play. Led the team form kms covered again today, as he does basically every time he plays. Caught him on backchat this week and he's describing himself as just a humble wingman, which in Simmo strategy world means bloke on the field who's not out there to get possessions. I think we can afford to give him another year, and hope for a role change. Of all the players on our list who could be the next Rowan Jones for Harley [and I think we need that guy] he seems the best fit to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back