Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s Matty knights. I see this a lot at AFL level where they get people who played AFL but in a different position, and then they get them to coach a line that they’ve never played in. That makes no sense to me.
You need to put someone in the position who is played well in that area of the ground, so they can impart their secrets to everybody who’s playing in that position.

Knights’ lines have never been strong here. Came from Geelong, full of veterans, who could coach themselves.

Don’t rate him at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Exactly this.

The squad knows the clean out is coming.

They know J.Schofield won't be head coach next year.

They know it's likely that few of the current group of coaches will be at the club next year.

They also know that probably 10-12 players will never play an AFL game again after this year.

Morale is about to fall through the floor and it can be expected that on-field effort and commitment will drop in step with it.

I place the club as most likely to finish bottom.
My thinking as well.
In speculation:
J.Schofield spun excuses no more mr positive, 'I am the caretaker coach', ie don't blame me. He and Shuey looked like frightened rabbits. - it's clear they know they don't have answers. They have been mid-stopage coaches!
Loyal servants see their respected coach knifed and mates dropped as change looms. (for good or bad doesn't matter) Their morale is through the floor and it's contagious. They have carried the kids for a season or two.
The reality is that we have had almost a decade without top picks - the best players are midfielders (less the odd tall) we have not drafted any of the best and lack greatly competitive mids
Many judge our players against their team mates - ie: he is great one of our best. But the comp/sports measures performance against competitors - most of our players loose.

Last edited:
My stand out moment was when Ryan chucked a sook due to a poor kick in his direction which went to an opponent. Stood there waving his hands in the air at the kicker as the opponent with the ball ran (closer to walked) past him. Good indication of the team spirit right now.

My stand out moment was when Ryan chucked a sook due to a poor kick in his direction which went to an opponent. Stood there waving his hands in the air at the kicker as the opponent with the ball ran (closer to walked) past him. Good indication of the team spirit right now.
Ryan has always done stuff like this haha

Positives:

Ginbey 22
Reid 19
Hough 22 (Higgins 10 and 1)
Maric 19 and 1
Williams 10 and 3

All in a side that got pantsed. It was our senior players who let us down. They won’t be kissed when these blokes are coming into their own.

Compare that to Geelongs young players in their stinker.

Dempsey 5 touches (1 goal)
Humphries 13
Knevitt 7
Clohesy 6

Big effort for a bunch of blokes who have at most just turned 20 to be the leaders (bar Hunt)

Hough not getting enough love. He is all class, another great game where he both blanketed his opponent and got involved the other way. Surely a lock for top 3 in the bnf.

But I hope the next coach gets him more involved up the ground next year too. He'd make a great defensively minded mid who is smart enough to help his team mates get the ball cleanly out of stoppages.

The club needs an entire clean out. Half the players and most coaches. The standards have dropped. There is too much entitlement and nepotism now. An ex-eagle would not be a good choice for the coaching job.

What's even more depressing about Kelly, other than what we paid, other than how our team has performed on field virtually the second he walked into the club......

Is that you look at his disposals today and from memory 75% of them are in the back half. Defense :thumbsdownemoji:

His biggest selling point, the 1 thing which drove him to a runner up brownlow and so much praise, was his ability to hit the scoreboard. That's his 1 wood and we've taken it at West Coast and totally smashed it. He's kicked 3 goals for the year FFS. We know how the bloke is in a stoppage, please for the love of god get him to the front half of the ground and playing forward more. He's just pissing everybody off running around in with his first gear looking cooked and burning his team with shit skills or poor decision making. Being asked to do too much.

Kelly's goal kicking tally, as if anyone needs to be reminded.

2024: WCE 3
2023: WCE 10
2022: WCE 6
2021: WCE 6
2020: WCE 5
2019: GEE 24
2018: GEE 24

I'd rather Chesser, Yeo, Reid, Trew, Ginbey, Hall all played at CBD's instead of him. If we lose it, fine.

At one point today i saw Ledwards playing deep forward. Ledwards FFS, the speed demon was struggling to get any sort of separation on his defender. Just silly. Ditch Ledwards, or better yet Cripps, and push Kelly forward.

What exactly is the worst thing that can happen here?
I feel like you are glossing over the fact that he has had plenty of shots on goal, often burning others in better positions, and failed to kick the goal.
His kicking is average at best.
I watched him handball behind a running player at least five times yesterday. Meaning the player that was running forward had to stop and go back to get the pass.
His skills are shite and his efforts are worse. He has his big house and pool, he doesn’t care.

The club needs an entire clean out. Half the players and most coaches. The standards have dropped. There is too much entitlement and nepotism now. An ex-eagle would not be a good choice for the coaching job.
We can't just clean out the whole club, what would happen to our performance onfield? We might lose for 3.5 years straight.

Hough not getting enough love. He is all class, another great game where he both blanketed his opponent and got involved the other way. Surely a lock for top 3 in the bnf.

But I hope the next coach gets him more involved up the ground next year too. He'd make a great defensively minded mid who is smart enough to help his team mates get the ball cleanly out of stoppages.
I don’t mind this line of thinking but I’d worry that we’re robbing Peter to pay Paul. Who else do we have that can lock down the most dangerous oppo smalls? Cole maybe? But not the effect of Hough

I don’t mind this line of thinking but I’d worry that we’re robbing Peter to pay Paul. Who else do we have that can lock down the most dangerous oppo smalls? Cole maybe? But not the effect of Hough
Yeah, it's always a risk mixing up a good thing. Don't wanna put any lid on this kid's potential though. And if paying Paul means our shittest line is bolstered, well maybe Peter would manage as a natural result of having to do less bloody work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That putrid moment made me sick

Well OA much as I love you;you are our captain and our key forward. ZERO tackles in the forward line? Starts with you mate.
Hutch; yes I know you came over with a reputation of flying for screamers but every time??
Two or three forwards flying together for a speccy and not one of you with the brains to stay on the ground for the spill!!! There’s more spills than speccies!!
Cripps fumbled in the first minute and never got going from that.
TK is too hungry.
BBW was insipid early.Finally started getting stuck in but the horse had bolted.You are ( currently ) our premier big man.Start throwing your weight around. The team should be looking to you for leadership in the physical stakes not to Harley.
Could our midfield coach get a mid closer to the ruck contest in the middle? Big ruckmen are not even jumping at times.They just hold BW off and take the ball clean.Tho how BW gets frees against for shepherding in the ruck is beyond me.
KMs done don’t interest me.LEdws needs to go. Slow and seriously soft.
JJ tries hard but he tends to squib at the worst times.

Harley getting booed is annoying me. When he's up and about smiling and being a swinging dick like he was before his suspension, you're confident it's not affecting him and he's just enjoying his footy and being out there.

But nowadays when he's involved in everything, not all good things either, he's targetted by opposition players, and coaches, he's arguing with the umpire more, his coach that's been at the club for 11 years has just been sacked, he's clearly not enjoying his football like he once was. Hearing him booed on top of all that when you can see he's getting frustrated as his team is still usless and shit, is ominous.

The arguing with the umpire really does need to stop. He wasn't doing that in his first 10 games.
Yep - wouldn’t be entirely shocked if he asks for a trade this offseason, but still think it’s not that likely.

Next year however if we are still playing like this, I think you could almost guarantee he’s gone

Trew is an inside midfielder who isn’t strong enough to be an inside mid.

He also has a lack of positional flexibility meaning options are limited to him and club.
I'd be okay with Trew getting another contract - I also wouldn't be upset if he didn't.

17 touches, equal second in tackles yesterday means he was far from the worst on ground.

But yes, he's limited and is only worth persisting with as reasonable depth.

Ok, so I was watching but maybe not with full attention, that being said.

Why does Hunt look like he's the only one trying? Genuinely sprinting while everyone else jogs around without intent. Had 9 turnovers but to be fair it looked like he was the only AFL player we had, he's so much better as a backman. Wouldn't mind seeing him paired with Jones down back.

JJ is not a forward, either give him a similar role to Hunt or drop him, at worst make him the sub. Dewar or Burgiel could have taken his spot.

Tim Kelly looked so bad, just give the hands off mate when team mates are streaming forward.

Petruccelle shouldn't have played. Did some nice things but undid a lot of them as well. He had a good mark or two and one really nice kick in particular but **** me he was also frustrating, Dewar should have got the spot.

Luke Edwards, worst game I have seen him play. Some of his kicks were very bad, didn't see him do much right at all.

Maric looks like a good AFL player but I am still unsure on his position due to the whole height issue and it's not like we're dominating the air with contested marks thanks to our talls.

Culley unsighted. Wasn't watching closely, was he playing midfield? If not, why even bring him in?

Rotham selection ... why? Why was he sub? Why bring him in for the sub role, that's a wasted spot because all he will do is come on to replace a defender.

Reid is overcooking some of his kicks. I think we need to take down his TOG a little bit or get more time resting forward to give him that burst and impact. Easier said than done when the midfield is shit because we need him there as well, which is sad as he's a first year with 15 games or something.

Trew had some good handballs, the type of releasing handballs that other players just can't see, the type that opens the game up and allows someone to run onto it rather than panicked 1m handballs. Not as good as last week but neither were the team as a whole.

0 tackles inside 50 and only 3 f50 ground ball gets!

Harry Edwards continues to impress and so does Jack Williams. I still think the forward line would have been better served with Darling replacing Waterman for 1 week with JWill as the resting ruck.

Bailey Williams unfortunately hasn't shown much of anything as a forward, when he does mark it his set shots are crap.
All of Jones's best games have been as a running half back. He has no other position, so he either plays the running half back role or don't play him at all is my opinion.

Badly need a coach with standards, the amount of times I see players behind not punching or no one front and centre of the marking contest. Things you see good ammo’s players doing but AFL listed players not knowing they should be doing it, unbelievable.

It's the development coaches as much as anything. Line coaches do the tactical shit, but the basic skills coaches are the one's that i feel let us down even more than the other idiots.

With the exception of Schofield (despite our recent performances) i'd be happy to lose any and all campaigners off this list. That includes Gavin Bell the kent.

1721557817322.png

Gordon Ramsay Get Out GIFs | Tenor

Wonder how Matty Knights and Jacob Brennan feel about Allen, Williams, Hutchinson, Petrucelle, Ryan, Culley and Jones as a collective fail to lay a single tackle inside F50 yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back