Speculation Kysaiah Pickett [RFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

We have 4 firsts this year to trade, thats why.
Missing the mark here, dees won't do a Future first for Kozy he's the only player forward of the ball who is a threat at the club - if we were humming looking like a premiership threat you would be a better chance at pinching him, but now more than ever he is a must keep - our biggest asset as a football club

Missing the mark here, dees won't do a Future first for Kozy he's the only player forward of the ball who is a threat at the club - if we were humming looking like a premiership threat you would be a better chance at pinching him, but now more than ever he is a must keep - our biggest asset as a football club
I agree you won't trade him unless a replacement could be found in the deal. Eg. Rachele or Kossi has a big change of heart as says publicly he wants out. His contract will end eventually so sometimes you have to let them go if there are enough things balancing your way.

I was just commenting that we have the trade assets for both. Richmond might prefer an F1 over pick 17 with so many picks this year.

I would agree with you if he wasn't contracted. he's contracted. if you want him, even next year with the ability to trade 2 years in advance of picks, the same will apply in that you'd have to give up a hell of a lot. No idea why your fans thought you'd be able to bring in both Bolton and Pickett. Both of them warrant 2 first rounders and no Dees fan would prefer to unknown firsts over Kozzie when in contract.

Well some of us were actually happy with your own suggestion on our board of 10+F1+27 for Pickett. Leaving 9+17 (hopefully better if Port choke) for Bolton. With other possible options in the mix in the form of Switta or a younger player like Murphy, Simpson, Erasmus. The two trades could have been be done in theory if both players demanded a trade, but the issue is our salary cap and it sounds like we don't have the room for Pickett.

Not sure this hits the mark either. Why would you give him up if you were humming? It seems to me the brass thinks they still have a hope at contending and that's why they want to keep the star players and try to bring in Houston. I can understand it to be honest, but I don't see it working out.

Keeping Pickett as the centre piece for Melbourne's next decade sounds nice in theory, but the reality is Melbourne are probably screwed for his career. End of 2027 it will quite likely be Richmond and a 26 year old Bolton all over again. Only the timing is much worse with Tasmania entering. Pickett will be a RFA and I can't see him staying beyond that. It might not be Freo, it might be WC or Port. Depends who is looking better.

When you are a premiership threat is when you would most want to keep him; he could be the difference on grand final day. If the club believes that ship has sailed, that's the best time to pinch him. Though at 23, any club would plan on being back in contention before he retires.

I agree you won't trade him unless a replacement could be found in the deal. Eg. Rachele or Kossi has a big change of heart as says publicly he wants out. His contract will end eventually so sometimes you have to let them go if there are enough things balancing your way.

I was just commenting that we have the trade assets for both. Richmond might prefer an F1 over pick 17 with so many picks this year.
Yes you may have the assets, but Kozzie is worth more than 2 first rounders to us right now. 23 years old, future is ahead of him. Proven match winner, proven A grader with more goals than 154 goals in 4 seasons more than most small fwds in the comp. If he was out of contract, that's a completely different story.

Rachele is a scrub who just got dropped by a team in 15th. He has no place in this discussion.

I would agree with you if he wasn't contracted. he's contracted. if you want him, even next year with the ability to trade 2 years in advance of picks, the same will apply in that you'd have to give up a hell of a lot. No idea why your fans thought you'd be able to bring in both Bolton and Pickett. Both of them warrant 2 first rounders and no Dees fan would prefer to unknown firsts over Kozzie when in contract.

No I agree that we would have to give up a lot. I think if Kozzy ask for a trade in 12 months for family reasons you won’t get as much then as you would now. Even though he is contracted I can’t see you denying his trade request when you’re going to let ANB walk for family reasons and potentially let Petracca leave to for non family reasons

Im thinking this pickett issue still has a bit to play out and wouldnt surprise me if during trade week if the Bolton trade gets done early and the dockers know exactly what they have left there is another late attempt to move pickett to dockers
or Port could come for him late depending on what happens during the finals. They dont have picks but have assets they could trade out

Agree, think once the Bolton deal is sorted we’ll have another crack at Kozzy. It’s hard to commit when we don’t know what pick Ports will end up being and how much coin we’ll have left after Bolton has come over.

I don’t think it happens this year unless Kozzy really makes it a thing, probably one to watch for next off season

Yes you may have the assets, but Kozzie is worth more than 2 first rounders to us right now. 23 years old, future is ahead of him. Proven match winner, proven A grader with more goals than 154 goals in 4 seasons more than most small fwds in the comp. If he was out of contract, that's a completely different story.

Rachele is a scrub who just got dropped by a team in 15th. He has no place in this discussion.
30 v 36 goals this year. Both teams had similar years, Rachele 2 years younger. Pickett is a better player but Rachele isn't the finished package either.

Hardly a scrub and not worth as much but hypothetically, having an 80% replacement and currency can move the needle. That's why we traded Shultz last year and why you traded Hogan years ago.

Well some of us were actually happy with your own suggestion on our board of 10+F1+27 for Pickett. Leaving 9+17 (hopefully better if Port choke) for Bolton. With other possible options in the mix in the form of Switta or a younger player like Murphy, Simpson, Erasmus. The two trades could have been be done in theory if both players demanded a trade, but the issue is our salary cap and it sounds like we don't have the room for Pickett.

Not sure this hits the mark either. Why would you give him up if you were humming? It seems to me the brass thinks they still have a hope at contending and that's why they want to keep the star players and try to bring in Houston. I can understand it to be honest, but I don't see it working out.

Keeping Pickett as the centre piece for Melbourne's next decade sounds nice in theory, but the reality is Melbourne are probably screwed for his career. End of 2027 it will quite likely be Richmond and a 26 year old Bolton all over again. Only the timing is much worse with Tasmania entering. Pickett will be a RFA and I can't see him staying beyond that. It might not be Freo, it might be WC or Port. Depends who is looking better.
The dees group of players 23 and under is pretty good though. Pickett, Rivers, McVee, Windsor, Tholstrup as a first rounder has a crack, Van Rooyen. Throw in Daniel Turner who showed some ability this year plus we'll have Pick 5 this year and an NGA or 2 in next years draft (unless the AFL change the rules on us again), and potentially Kalani White as a Father/son.

At stages this year we had the most players 23 and under in the comp playing. Sure, we have many holes in our list from a key position perspective but if Trac goes next year, that'll net us 2 first rounders and we've got a massive jump start on the rebuild.

why does bro have his business advertised on bigfooty lol
Working Out Lifting Weights GIF by A24

No I agree that we would have to give up a lot. I think if Kozzy ask for a trade in 12 months for family reasons you won’t get as much then as you would now. Even though he is contracted I can’t see you denying his trade request when you’re going to let ANB walk for family reasons and potentially let Petracca leave to for non family reasons
They're all different cases though. Not everyone is treated equally and fairly. People talk about how our culture is bad because Christian Petracca is disgruntled. Would people be saying the same thing if Oliver Sestan was disgruntled? Nope. It's only because it's Petracca.

Didn't you keep Lobb when he wanted to go? If Serong wanted to come back to Victoria, you're keeping him to his contract unless given a monster offering. If no offering exists, then you'd keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30 v 36 goals this year. Both teams had similar years, Rachele 2 years younger. Pickett is a better player but Rachele isn't the finished package either.

Hardly a scrub and not worth as much but hypothetically, having an 80% replacement and currency can move the needle. That's why we traded Shultz last year and why you traded Hogan years ago.
He doesnt apply 5% of the defensive pressure and he's squibbed physical pressure on the big stage whereas Pickett loves it.

Maybe scrub was a bit harsh but if up for trade now, I don't think Rachele gets a pick in the top 25.

If you are not trading Trac after almost killing him, barely checking in after life saving surgery then surely the Dees are not trading Kozi.
lol. stop exaggerating. but yes, we'd trade Trac before Pickett. Pickett is 6 years younger and much more valuable to our future than Trac who has really lowered his colours in the last 2 months with his narcissistic trade demands based on playing in front of big crowds and having high standards and the n reportedly wanting to go to 2 teams that missed finals in Collingwood and Carlton (sure they made it after losing to stkilda and results falling their way) but you get my gist.

They're all different cases though. Not everyone is treated equally and fairly. People talk about how our culture is bad because Christian Petracca is disgruntled. Would people be saying the same thing if Oliver Sestan was disgruntled? Nope. It's only because it's Petracca.

Didn't you keep Lobb when he wanted to go? If Serong wanted to come back to Victoria, you're keeping him to his contract unless given a monster offering. If no offering exists, then you'd keep him.

We didn’t trade Lobb in 21 because he wanted to go back to GWS to be with “mates” which was bs and was pretty obvious. We did entertain offers though but GWS couldn’t offer anything we wanted, Of course 12 months later we did trade him when he was still under contract.

Schultz last year came out of no where and he had legit family reasons and we traded him under contract. What we got for Schultz looks like overs now but 12 months ago most Freo fans wanted to hold him to his contract.

If Serong did really wanna go and his reasons were legit and it was taking a toll on his mental health you’d have to let him go, I don’t think forcing players to stay is healthy.

All that being said, if Kozzy asks for a trade and his reasons are legit and sincere I can’t see Melbourne forcing him to stay

Not going to do trade for scenarios for Pickett until he confirms his destination. I think the west coast Ryan link is bullshit tho. That's just a Ralph flop.

In terms of Trade Value if Rankine was 5 out of contract then Pickett is 8-10 out of contract. If you compare him to Bolton this year he's behind him despite Bolton being older. Bolton is a pretty clear top 5 pick but again Freo dont have 5.

Last edited:

Pretty evident Melbourne still trying to contend - Gawn/Viney sign on + keeping trac when his value isn't increasing at the trade table as each year rolls past (I think we should trade him)

Think we are jumping to conclusions pretty quick - no doubt if the club doesn't pull their finger out in the next 12/24 months will set the tone for the next 10+ years, reality is that if we go backwards again next year Kozy probably is a chance to move - but his value is only increasing, both in trade value and salary alike.

Clubs like Fremantle who are finally seeing a glimmer of hop after being pretty ordinary for an extended period need to weigh that up, as I said early - Bolton, Warner Kozy, Serong, Jackson, Darcy, Young, Brayshaw - these are all big $$$$$$ players. Don't know how it all fit's

haha total cringe at how much the Freo fans wanted Kozzie. Even Serong was frothing over it. Kozzie is only 23, he'd cost an absolute fortune in contract.
Yes, Freo fans really want the player who fits the exact mold of what they need from a list perspective and is an absolute star. Cringe is a strange word to use but ok.

Yes, Freo fans really want the player who fits the exact mold of what they need from a list perspective and is an absolute star. Cringe is a strange word to use but ok.
Yeah, it's all well and good to want him. but having no clue at his worth is another thing or putting up low ball offers. The idea of getting both Shai Bolton and Pickett was highly delusions. both warrant 2 early firsts which you never had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Kysaiah Pickett [RFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back