News Lachie Neale to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Lachie Neale article was interesting.

If he's got nothing bad to say about the footy club, why not just come out and say your reasons for wanting out instead of saying you don't want to delve into it.

Clearly it's just spin from all involved, i'm sure the reasoning will get leaked eventually.
Neale is a smart guy and burning your bridges isn’t a great idea.

No reason to air stuff in public.

Never know, his partner might get pregnant and want family support and request a trade home.

Reasons I think he lefted:
1. Small guy playing a defensive style of play taking beatings every week and Brisbane play more attacking.
2. Have a personal issue with Bennell.
3. Girlfriends family are too much into their life.
4. Perth media is constantly negative and Brisbane don’t get much airtime.
5. Can’t go away without someone saying something to you vs Brisbane no one knows you.
6. Increased money for next year.
7. Lions list has more upside.

Oh I remember that day. The scowl never left my 10 year old face. I still maintain being up by 15 points 5 minutes in the last quarter in 01 and then losing by close to 10 goals was more painful.

Twas a truly awe-inspiring quarter of football by the soon to be crowned Fab 4
I was there that day. Couldn't believe it. Still one of the most incredible turnarounds I've ever seen.

Neale is a smart guy and burning your bridges isn’t a great idea.

No reason to air stuff in public.

Never know, his partner might get pregnant and want family support and request a trade home.

Reasons I think he lefted:
1. Small guy playing a defensive style of play taking beatings every week and Brisbane play more attacking.
5. Can’t go away without someone saying something to you vs Brisbane no one knows you.
6. Increased money for next year.
7. Lions list has more upside.

That's about right. I fully believe that generally he was happy enough here, and take at face value that there's nothing major pushing him away - just a combo of a few things like your list says.

On the bold bit, I picked up from interviews and other bits and pieces a few years back that one thing Lachie found quite demanding (though he took it on the chin and worked at it) was improving his defensive side. He was always required to work on that side of his game and it went from fairly poor to maybe average.

Being the pro he is, he won't just drop that side of his game, but likely that it wont be such a demand on him at Bris as it was here. Always had a hunch that might have been part of the attraction, not the only thing though.

Last edited:

What a champ. See us lions fans aren't too bad. That team of ours would have been hard to watch for opposition fans. Pike was a beast. Really turned his personal life around aswell. My favorite was akka followed closely by white.

That team was fantastic to watch. We were entertaining in a masochistic kind of way :'(, so fronting Brisbane was no harder than any other week - but generally speaking, those Brisbane teams of early 2000's were a joy to watch, especially in finals. Black (one of my fav players of all time) and Voss and co. in their heyday, some of the most enjoyable footy I've had the pleasure to watch.

Yeah Brisbane were the best team I’ve seen. Amazing mix of skill, strength and poise.

You lot are really cool and seem way more into footy in general rather than just your own club (Collingwood). It’s a good way to be.

Sorry you lost lachie, but turns out we really need him. Hope hogan and lobb work out well for you. Will be cheering for you in all games except against us of course.

Reasons I think he left"
6. Increased money for next year
I think you're pretty spot on.

Rosich hinted we wouldn't match the dollars that Bisvegas offered and Lachie mentioned the issue of the "media" fishbowl in Perth.

He also probably got sick of RtB asking him to tackle an defend each week - "but Ross, i got 40 touches and 2 goals"

RtB "you need to tackle more"

I think you're pretty spot on.

Rosich hinted we wouldn't match the dollars that Bisvegas offered and Lachie mentioned the issue of the "media" fishbowl in Perth.

He also probably got sick of RtB asking him to tackle an defend each week - "but Ross, i got 40 touches and 2 goals"

RtB "you need to tackle more"

He might of got sick of it but he should be thanking Lyon for turning him into that player. If the reason he wants to go to Brissie is so he can go back to being unaccountable defensively like he was a couple of years back, then bad luck Brissie is all I can say

I don't know what the age-range is of posters here, but I've had a few friends around Lachie's age over the years just pack up and leave for new opportunities.

This was around the Perth mining boom and there were no extrinsic values to leave - but an opportunity came up for something different and they just left (intrastate, interstate, international, whatever).

There are a number of young men (and women) who still act like this, it's actually a personality trait more endemic to our Grandfather's generation who spent more time working away (on ships, in war etc) and spread themselves and their families across more continents than the younger generation does (if you don't count backpacking holidays/bar-stints in London etc).

It's probably not that simplistic but it's another factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judging by the last comment in that article Lachie appears to be one of those players who doesn’t crave the spotlight, just wants to do his job then go about his business in public without being noticed and hassled. Brisbane a good fit for someone like him. Could have gone to Sydney too but it’s a shithole.

Wishing the Dockers all the best next year.

I reckon Neale was pushed for picks, as in Freo refused to match Brisbane’s offer knowing that they would get the picks for Hogan and Lobb.

Makes no other sense as to why he would leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what the age-range is of posters here, but I've had a few friends around Lachie's age over the years just pack up and leave for new opportunities.

This was around the Perth mining boom and there were no extrinsic values to leave - but an opportunity came up for something different and they just left (intrastate, interstate, international, whatever).

There are a number of young men (and women) who still act like this, it's actually a personality trait more endemic to our Grandfather's generation who spent more time working away (on ships, in war etc) and spread themselves and their families across more continents than the younger generation does (if you don't count backpacking holidays/bar-stints in London etc).

It's probably not that simplistic but it's another factor.

I agree - my own son has just driven around Australia in a van with his girlfriend. They were 19 when they left in February and turned 20 in April. We went over to visit them in Melbourne for the disaster match against Collingwood.

Son's girlfriend is an Esperance girl and had done very little traveling (son has done extensive travel with us) - for both it was an adventure and a need for independence. It hurt like hell when they left, but knew we had to let them 'do their thing'.

Their actual plan was to live in Brisbane for 18 months to two years(a city I really hate) with expectations of beaches and sunshine etc etc. Son even had a job for him there. Ironically it was when they got to Queensland that the homesickness set in and they called us to say they were coming home. They had a new appreciation for Perth beaches, their friends and family, and their beloved footy team (both bleed purple).

I hope Lachie and his new wife don't regret this adventure - it's a huge move.

I reckon Neale was pushed for picks, as in Freo refused to match Brisbane’s offer knowing that they would get the picks for Hogan and Lobb.

Makes no other sense as to why he would leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Referring to my previous post seems he wants to live in a city that’s not AFL mad, combined with playing a different style of football. As far as the latter goes I did the same when I played, albeit at a level many rungs below AFL.

Referring to my previous post seems he wants to live in a city that’s not AFL mad, combined with playing a different style of football. As far as the latter goes I did the same when I played, albeit at a level many rungs below AFL.
It's kind of funny because last pre-season we did actually train to be far more attacking, especially from half back. And apart from our usual playing the oldies for no apparent reason in Rd 1 we played quite attacking football from Rd 2 onward. But we just didn't have the forwards to provide real targets inside 50 to put big scoreboard pressure on, then the youngsters got tired, and we resorted to trying to save games rather than trying to win them and lost morale and our season was done in that game against you guys when Sandi went off seconds before the bounce and chaos ensued with our players (mostly Apeness) going "what do we do now?"

It'll be interesting to see whether we return back to that more attacking style next season now that we've just added a 207cm contested target and a guy who averages 2.4 goals a game (more than twice any of our other forwards). Probably won't have an immediate impact but it's got to be better than a 20yo Cox trying to hold up the forward line by himself after Taberner got injured? We've got some serious wheels to run and carry the ball (and some good kicks off half back in Ryan and Wilson) but having contested marking targets as get of jail options if our run is blunted was an issue in the 2nd half of the season. We could have Sandi (211cm)/Darcy(202cm), Lobb (207cm), Taberner (198cm), Cox (194cm) as aerial targets down field as well as Fyfe and Hogan who are no slouches in the air either.

At least I hope we play more attacking footy and can sustain it for a full season, just like you guys probably want to start like you ended this time around and sustain it for a full season also. In some ways Neale leaving has enabled us to bring in players that will help change the game style issues he probably wasn't happy with :) Can see it very well being win win for both of our clubs in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back