Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor
Sep 9, 2006
Best Young Side Land
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat
We are the slowest team in the AFL at the moment. Our midfield really can't keep up with their opponents on the spread as they are all one paced - Jones, Trengove, Magner, Moloney.

Sylvia has pace but hasn't been played in the midfield properly yet.

Davey isn't as fast as he used to be, also has a limited tank and rarely plays through the midfield.

If Bennell's performances have improved the last few weeks in the VFL then we could really use him.

Again today our contested possession was right up there with Geelong. I think our slow team really hurts us when being able to get free for uncontested possessions, which we continually get smashed in every week.

This is one real area we need to fix ASAP, but how? Through free agency or the draft?

In the little bits I saw of Viney today, he looked to have some toe on him.

We drafted Blease as a pure outside running mid. Whilst i'm not giving up on him i am starting to worry. It also hurts that we lost Judas.

No doubt we'll have to look at some midfield runners in this draft. A core group of Trengove, Jones and Viney will be good. If we can add some pace it will give us a nice group.

I'd like to know if we had a serious look to O'Mera last year. He would have been perfect.

It is a genuine concern but something that will need to be fixed through drafts and free agency. As some mentioned we have guys like Blease and Bennell who have that pace but they need to find the pill first to get a run. We are terribly one paced and when the game opens up we find it difficult to stop the run.

Not much we can do about it NOW but the FD would be looking to improve this over the next few years.

We need speed in the middle for sure.

Can't see too many free agent prospects fitting the bill though. By the time the restricted/unrestricted window opens up for most players they are starting to slow up a bit. Sure there may be one or two like a Boomer Harvey but even then they are only going to get slower. Good luck snaring a Hodge or a Johnson. The club should at least explore the possibilities I guess but I won't hold my breath on that front.

Here is the list of free agents for 2012.

It's going to have to be the draft or pulling off a coup signing in a regular trade I think.

Edit: not specifically for speed but I think Rosa wouldn't be a bad player to go after, unrestricted, turns 26 in November.

We should move heaven and earth to get Patty Dangerfield. Electric, line-breaking, hard at it midfielder who can kick goals.

Add him and Viney to our midfield and things are suddenly a lot brighter.

We should move heaven and earth to get Patty Dangerfield. Electric, line-breaking, hard at it midfielder who can kick goals.

Add him and Viney to our midfield and things are suddenly a lot brighter.

Agree. If there is any chance we can get him, we should. Had my eye on him for a few years now and he just keeps getting better. You'd think Adelaide would make it difficult to get him though

Harley Bennell would be the one Id like to get from GC.

There aren't a lot of genuine opportunities in the free agent list imo - Deledio would fit our mix nicely but can't see him leaving Richmond.

True, we dont have much midfield pace but neither do Geelong really. They just play on more than we do.

The style of play that we are trying to play exaggerates this greatly. Chip kick to man near boundry.Go back behind the mark and kick long down the line to boundry. Of course we will look slow. The least of our problems at the moment.

We do need some more pace, but it needs to be pace from players who ca also win their own ball.

We really need Strauss to come back into his own after looking good late last year.

He could be a really good wingman if not running of the HBF.

Patrick Dangerfield is exactly what we need.

Say we finish 3rd last (hypothetically), I would happily offer up pick 4 if GWS and GC don't be gay and dummy bid on Viney..

Add to that, he has a great relationship with Neil Craig!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do not want to offer a top 5 pick for Dangerfield.

No way.

You don't offer a top 5 pick for anything less than a star.

Its hypothetical cause he isnt going anywhere, but have you watched him the last two weeks? If that isnt a star, i dont know what is.

He is better than Trengove, easily, and we would demand a top 5 pick for him.

Its hypothetical cause he isnt going anywhere, but have you watched him the last two weeks? If that isnt a star, i dont know what is.

If we had picks 3 and 4 and we got Viney and Dangerfield for them I would be ecstatic. Won't happen as the Crows we probably be able to re-sign him but it's a nice thought!

Sure, but if he goes on to a top 3 finish in their BnF or an AA nomination I'd call him a star.

He isn't worth a top 5 selection at the moment, especially when you consider the midfielders you can get from a top 5 pick.

If Dangerfield's manager even hints he is open to the possibility of moving back to Victoria there will be 10 clubs after him and he is worth a pick 5 any day of the week. His size, power, kicking ability and take off speed are exceptional. He still has most of his career ahead of him.

I like DRs point about having a look at the GC boys and I'm keeping an eye on Gaff at the Eagles as well.

Note, that list includes some players who have since signed like Deledio.

Sure, but if he goes on to a top 3 finish in their BnF or an AA nomination I'd call him a star.

He isn't worth a top 5 selection at the moment, especially when you consider the midfielders you can get from a top 5 pick.

You're kidding yourself TPM. The kid is a star.

Blease needs to step up, this where we could really use him but I'm not sure if he really wants it. Bennell on the other hand has been playing well at the scorps, deserves a shot.

You're kidding yourself TPM. The kid is a star.

Sorry mate, flat out disagree he is currently worth a top five selection in a 'superdraft'.

If he keeps up this form for the rest of the season, go for it.

Even then I'd rather find a way to trade our 2nd compo pick (around 12) and a player for the lad, as he's out of contract if we can convince him he should want to come to us... we can avoid paying overs.

Trading a top 5 pick should be our LAST option.

There's no way I'd be giving up a top five pick based on a great start to a season.

Top 5 picks net you midfielders like Pendlebury, Cotchin, Martin, Griffen, Cooney, Thomas, Judd, Ball, Hodge (the last three being in a 'superdraft')

Would we have even contemplated a top five pick for Dangerfield based on his first four years in the system??

Not even close.

Sorry mate, flat out disagree he is currently worth a top five selection in a 'superdraft'.

If he keeps up this form for the rest of the season, go for it.

Even then I'd rather find a way to trade our 2nd compo pick (around 12) and a player for the lad, as he's out of contract if we can convince him he should want to come to us... we can avoid paying overs.

Trading a top 5 pick should be our LAST option.

There's no way I'd be giving up a top five pick based on a great start to a season.

Top 5 picks net you midfielders like Pendlebury, Cotchin, Martin, Griffen, Cooney, Thomas, Judd, Ball, Hodge (the last three being in a 'superdraft')

Would we have even contemplated a top five pick for Dangerfield based on his first four years in the system??

Not even close.

No need to apologise mate, nothing wrong with a different opinion! :)

While there have been some terrific players taken within the first 5 picks of a draft we both know that there have also been some dud players taken and that there are no guarantees. This draft, from what I have heard and read, is not the big super draft that everyone is expecting. Of course the first picks will be strong but the depth is not as good as everyone is being led to believe. Although I guess that doesn't matter much with a Top 5 pick.

Chances of him coming here are very, very slim but he would be an excellent fit for our midfield. If we could use our second compo pick and a player then fine but I wouldn't be disappointed if we used a top pick to land him.

Harley Bennell would be the one Id like to get from GC.

Neeld and Craig must move heaven and earth to get this kid to the MFC at seasons end.

Leave no stone unturned.

We have the ass satisfy GC in a trade, the only problem is that we need Bennell to want to come here. On a positive note his brother plays for us.

We will see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lack of pace in the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back