Leading draft prospects at midyear

Remove this Banner Ad

Great read Weaver. I have had some trouble this year evaluating the Victorian boy as I haven't go around as much.

Interesting how you assessed the WA fellas and I think that you may have it pretty right.

More stuff like this and less from the kiddy barrowpushers please.

You're always a good judge of talent, BFTW (particularly WA talent)!

How would you rate the WA youngsters in this draft?

If you had to rank the likes of Masten, Palmer, Browne, Sampey etc, how would they rank against each other in your books?

26. Taylor Walker (HFF, FP)

Tends to play as the decoy, mobile, roaming forward. Drifts out the flanks a bit and gets quite a lot of his touches from getting involved at ground level. Has been the eye-catcher for the NSW team in their guest games and Champs run. Covers a heap of ground, plays in front, takes marks and has a knack for getting goals even in his bad-form games. Probably not a true KF, more a 3rd-forward in the Steve Johnson / Trent Hentschell style. Tied to Adelaide under the scholarship scheme. Certainly worth the pick they'll have to surrender.
Great read overall, Weav, but this comment in bold baffles me.

How can you compare someone in style to two players who are not all that similar? Steve Johnson is a freakish crumber, while Hentschel is moreso a deceptively mobile KP capable of both taking an overhead mark and getting the ball at ground level.

Also, any comments of Jaxson Barham from Geelong - Potential F/S draftee for Collingwood, just wondered if you had any notes about him.

Not ahead of Polkinghorne. Every time we start discussing the draft people suggest 30 rovers who should get drafted. 4-5 rovers a year get picked up and they have exceptional talents - generally pace to burn. I like Potts and would like to see him taken - but it is unlikely.

Very, very small at 174 and was very very outside. Just didn't show enough positives to make up for that.

Don't know what role he plays in for his club - but 189cm CHB? I would be suprised.

Thanks for the reply Weaver but what do you mean by outside? I saw him in the best players in the paper. I still believe he has enormous talent. He has an amazing leap and can take a great contested mark for a boy of his size.

Thanks Weaver. Sensational as always.

Callam Ward?

Callan Ward actually.
At 183cm and 71kg, he actually reminds me a bit of Nick Dal Santo. Moves well, and just seems to have time with his disposals. Had been playing off HB for the Jets prior to the Championships, and even moved up forward and into the midfield during a game against the Stingrays.

A little disappointed with his Champs, but I really think he is good enough to be drafted this year. Bottom aged, so he can play TAC again next year if he's not drafted.

weaver your off ya cracker mate maric will go top 15 poss top 10..big game player(watch last years tac cup granny), great at ground level, good in the air, knows where the goals are, good pace and agility...very silly to leave him out

Hey Weaver,

Was wondering how you rate this draft overall compared to others when it comes to firstly the elite group of 5-10, and how much depth there is from there on?

thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Brisbane manages to pick soem reasonable players in this draft. Whitecross, Vezpremi, Selwood & Masten are the ones I like at the moment, but my taste keeps changing. :):thumbsu:

Good read.

If Carlton have picks 1 and 4 and pick Rance at four, I predict he will be called another dud in his first year. ;) :rolleyes:

Is there a possibility Carlton could go for Kreuzer and Rance to play ruck and fullback? ;)

Carlton would have the tallest list in the AFL and Parrot would be crowing. :rolleyes:

The posters who have said Fev should be traded for just pick 9 or 10 need their head read if the draft turns out this. Even picks nine and sixteen might not cut unless a senior player is part of the trade.

Callan Ward actually.
At 183cm and 71kg, he actually reminds me a bit of Nick Dal Santo. Moves well, and just seems to have time with his disposals. Had been playing off HB for the Jets prior to the Championships, and even moved up forward and into the midfield during a game against the Stingrays.

A little disappointed with his Champs, but I really think he is good enough to be drafted this year. Bottom aged, so he can play TAC again next year if he's not drafted.
Nick DalSanto and Callan Ward is not a good comparison. Ward even with another year under his belt will not be a first round pick like DalSanto was.

Tom Frawley! If he gets drafted alot of ballarat people will be scratching their heads....

So will a lot of Darwin people. Have never heard him being mentioned as a possibility to be drafted.

Dont think he was close to getting an A grade game in Darwin last season.

Nick DalSanto and Callan Ward is not a good comparison. Ward even with another year under his belt will not be a first round pick like DalSanto was.

Read my post mate. I said he reminds me of Dal Santo. I never said that he'd be as good as him. Just the way he moves, and his ability to move through traffic. Who knows where he could go next year if he doesn't get drafted this year.

Read my post mate. I said he reminds me of Dal Santo. I never said that he'd be as good as him. Just the way he moves, and his ability to move through traffic. Who knows where he could go next year if he doesn't get drafted this year.
I did read your post and imo opinion Ward does not move like DalSanto or have his ability to move through traffic if he did he'd be a much better prospect therefore its not a good comparison.

Huh?.. i was refering to physical features (In the face). He has identical looks to Nick Dal Santo, but i can see why you relate them both to the way they play football

My bad mate. Thought you were having a crack. I apologise.

I did read your post and imo opinion Ward does not move like DalSanto or have his ability to move through traffic if he did he'd be a much better prospect therefore its not a good comparison.

Each to their own mate. Are you able to make a comparison then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Leading draft prospects at midyear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back