Leading draft prospects at midyear

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont know how u can say that about a guy that is over 100kg :confused:
He is a bit more filled out than your average super tall 17-18 year old and his body will develop more. He is still awkward, but I concede that he needs time to grow into his body. I just don't see him growing into an effective around the ground player. I should've used the term 'tap ruckman' rather than 'beanpole' but increasingly I find they are becoming one the same.

Don't let ChipDouglas see this post. He'll get all narky onya arse, and tell you that Simpson is way behind McEvoy. :rolleyes:

I really rate Simpson as well. Been very very impressed with him every time I have seen him.
This will all sound like I don't rate Simpson. I do rate him, but he is way behind McEvoy. McEvoy Top 20, Simpson 40-50 IMO. On ruckwork Simpson has the advantage. He is improving around the ground but McEvoy is already fairly developed there. McEvoy definitely leading at the moment and will get drafted higher, but at 199cm I guess you've always gotta ask questions about where he'll end up playing.

Don't let ChipDouglas see this post. He'll get all narky onya arse, and tell you that Simpson is way behind McEvoy. :rolleyes:

I really rate Simpson as well. Been very very impressed with him every time I have seen him.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating my little Carlton friend. You are on the record as saying you rate Dawson Simpson ahead of McEvoy and when McEvoy gets picked in the first round and Simpson goes much later if at all what will your explanation be?. Vic Crow is on the money and most good judges would agree with his assessment.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating my little Carlton friend. You are on the record as saying you rate Dawson Simpson ahead of McEvoy and when McEvoy gets picked in the first round and Simpson goes much later if at all what will your explanation be?. Vic Crow is on the money and most good judges would agree with his assessment.
How will that change anything? Is Travis Boak better than Joel Selwood just because he ended up getting drafted higher? Draft position means quite literally less than nothing

As far as I can tell, HBF isn't suggesting that Simpson is going to be drafted higher, but rather that he might be a better long-term prospect. Given his size and athletic potential, it is hardly an unreasonable opinion to hold.

In 2004, I didn't post much r.e. the draft, but I would have rated Danyle Pearce inside the Top 20 due to his combination of talents. Now, just because he ended up falling down into the rookie draft, doesn't mean that I wouldn't have been right in my assessment.

This board doesn't need to exist if everyone is supposed to have the same opinions, and get dragged over the coals if they have a different one.

Would you have been similarly critical of anyone who suggested that they rated Nick Dal Santo higher than Xavier Clarke before the 2001 draft? What about someone who suggested that Dane Swan was a hands down better prospect than Ashley Sampi?

Just because general consensus is different to what someone is saying, doesn't mean that the person deserves to be ridiculed, so give it up.

How will that change anything? Is Travis Boak better than Joel Selwood just because he ended up getting drafted higher? Draft position means quite literally less than nothing

As far as I can tell, HBF isn't suggesting that Simpson is going to be drafted higher, but rather that he might be a better long-term prospect. Given his size and athletic potential, it is hardly an unreasonable opinion to hold.

In 2004, I didn't post much r.e. the draft, but I would have rated Danyle Pearce inside the Top 20 due to his combination of talents. Now, just because he ended up falling down into the rookie draft, doesn't mean that I wouldn't have been right in my assessment.

This board doesn't need to exist if everyone is supposed to have the same opinions, and get dragged over the coals if they have a different one.

Would you have been similarly critical of anyone who suggested that they rated Nick Dal Santo higher than Xavier Clarke before the 2001 draft? What about someone who suggested that Dane Swan was a hands down better prospect than Ashley Sampi?

Just because general consensus is different to what someone is saying, doesn't mean that the person deserves to be ridiculed, so give it up.

Very articulately stated VV69 :thumbsu:

Dawson Simpson reminds me quite a bit of Hamish McIntosh. If my comparison is fair he is 4 years away from beginning to make an impact at the next level. McEvoy is much further progressed without the long term upside. Though I believe he led the Nationals in contested marks. I am sick of the comparisons between the two as they are at different stages of their development.
On Phil Smith I reckon Weaver is on the money. I wonder how much TAC cup footy some people here actually watch. He was superb in last years final series. Actually playing on Kruezer in the preliminary and using his leap and speed to keep him quiet while Kruezer was forward. He was also good in the GF on the larger MCG

How is draft position relevant CD?
Just because you get drafted higher, doesn't mean that you will be a better player. Simpson will get drafted, don't you worry about that. And then they are both in the AFL system. Sure, McEvoy is further advanced at this stage, and is a better footballer as we speak, however, Simpson I believe, has more to work with, and could quite easily turn out to be a better footballer than McEvoy.

HBF knows a thing or two about the kids. Who cares if he rates Dawson Simpson ahead of McInvoy. Some will agree with him, others wont. But really its just hes opinion.

I rate Tom Bellchambers ahead of both these kids. But yet again thats my opinion. Remember not everyones going to have the exact same opinions

HBF knows a thing or two about the kids. Who cares if he rates Dawson Simpson ahead of McInvoy. Some will agree with him, others wont. But really its just hes opinion.

I rate Tom Bellchambers ahead of both these kids. But yet again thats my opinion. Remember not everyones going to have the exact same opinions

I rate Bellchambers highly. He's a better tap ruckman than McEvoy, but not as good around the ground. McEvoy should go higher in the draft but I think Bellchambers is the better prospect.

I rate Bellchambers highly. He's a better tap ruckman than McEvoy, but not as good around the ground. McEvoy should go higher in the draft but I think Bellchambers is the better prospect.
I agree. I am hoping like hell that Bellchambers fall to the Eagles pick. let him sit on the pine for a couple or three years with the odd game in between and watch him blossom in 2010/11. Lets just hope injuries stay away from our ruck department.

How is draft position relevant CD?
Just because you get drafted higher, doesn't mean that you will be a better player. Simpson will get drafted, don't you worry about that. And then they are both in the AFL system. Sure, McEvoy is further advanced at this stage, and is a better footballer as we speak, however, Simpson I believe, has more to work with, and could quite easily turn out to be a better footballer than McEvoy.
The better prospect will get drafted earlier, I would have thought that was obvious. I won't be qualifying any of my statements between now and November, we shall see.

The better prospect will get drafted earlier, I would have thought that was obvious. I won't be qualifying any of my statements between now and November, we shall see.

But that doesn't mean that they will turn out to be a better player. Let me give you an example of this:

2002 Draft

Brad Fisher - Selction 72
Brad Murphy - Selection 33
Luke Shackleton - Selection 29
Tim Walsh - Selection 4

Yes, who is rated higher will get drafted earlier, however, this does not mean that they will turn out to be a better player.

You think Dawson Simpson is a better prospect than McEvoy and if that is your opinion then fine. I do not and have McEvoy ranked well ahead in this years draft. We shall see who is right in November. What happens in ten years time is hardly the point, who is the better prospect is and I haven't changed the tune of the song and won't have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think Dawson Simpson is a better prospect than McEvoy and if that is your opinion then fine. I do not and have McEvoy ranked well ahead in this years draft. We shall see who is right in November. What happens in ten years time is hardly the point, who is the better prospect is and I haven't changed the tune of the song and won't have to.
No, you won't.

What happens in ten years' time IS the point - If Dawson Simpson turns out better, then it will be proof that he was the better prospect.

That would be like arguing that Aaron Fiora being drafted ahead of Matthew Pavlich proves that Aaron Fiora was a better prospect than Pavlich at the time. However, all it really proves is that Richmond THOUGHT he was a better prospect than Matthew Pavlich, and everyone else on the board.

If McEvoy gets drafted higher, it proves that he is thought of as a better prospect than Simpson by whoever drafts him, not necessarily that he is, and even then, draft status isn't everything.

Collingwood rated Sean Rusling as the 4th best prospect on their board in the 2004 draft, but when it came to pick #10, they drafted Chris Egan, who was lower on their draft board, because Rusling was definitely going to be available at #23 - If they hadn't have been committed to Travis Cloke with their 3rd round pick, they may have taken Rusling at #39 instead.

So even draft position doesn't actually confirm who might be thought of as a better prospect, or rated higher in the minds of a particular club.

Essentially, you're harping on about a point that amounts to "You know that what you're saying is different to what everyone else is saying, right?" - HBF knows that most people rate McEvoy higher than Simpson.

Are you suggesting he shouldn't have an opinion that differs from the norm? Because that pretty much means we should just shut down the board - No need for discussion if everyone thinks the same thing...

No, you won't.

What happens in ten years' time IS the point - If Dawson Simpson turns out better, then it will be proof that he was the better prospect.

That would be like arguing that Aaron Fiora being drafted ahead of Matthew Pavlich proves that Aaron Fiora was a better prospect than Pavlich at the time. However, all it really proves is that Richmond THOUGHT he was a better prospect than Matthew Pavlich, and everyone else on the board.

If McEvoy gets drafted higher, it proves that he is thought of as a better prospect than Simpson by whoever drafts him, not necessarily that he is, and even then, draft status isn't everything.

Collingwood rated Sean Rusling as the 4th best prospect on their board in the 2004 draft, but when it came to pick #10, they drafted Chris Egan, who was lower on their draft board, because Rusling was definitely going to be available at #23 - If they hadn't have been committed to Travis Cloke with their 3rd round pick, they may have taken Rusling at #39 instead.

So even draft position doesn't actually confirm who might be thought of as a better prospect, or rated higher in the minds of a particular club.

Essentially, you're harping on about a point that amounts to "You know that what you're saying is different to what everyone else is saying, right?" - HBF knows that most people rate McEvoy higher than Simpson.

Are you suggesting he shouldn't have an opinion that differs from the norm? Because that pretty much means we should just shut down the board - No need for discussion if everyone thinks the same thing...
No that is not the point at all, so to clear up your confusion VV, Hbf said he rated Dawson Simpson the better prospect at this time and if that is his opinion then fine. Now its "In ten years time Dawson will be a better player". The original discussion was who is the better prospect and it's that simple. It's not even a marginal call McEvoy will be taken well ahead of Simpson. The better prospects will be taken earlier, how they develop after that was never a point of discussion.

Well, I think only HBF can clear that up because this pretty much just sounds like a misunderstanding. It's a bit out there to say Simpson will be better, but certainly not inconceivable.

So did either of you two go to watch the murray gippsland game on Saturday?.. What were your thoughts on both Simpson and McEvoy's game, as well as how they went against their opponents?

Greenwood and Ebert both had reasonable games for the Magpies on the weekend, and Wonaeamirri looks a likely candidate too from SA. How early do you guys expect these blokes to go, and do you think they'd be suited to the Dogs?

Austin Wonaeamirri who played for the Tiwi Islands in the televised games against the Darwin teams earlier this year appeared to be full of class. Not sure about his size though. Did not appear small against his teammates, but could be as they are generally small.

Austin Wonaeamirri who played for the Tiwi Islands in the televised games against the Darwin teams earlier this year appeared to be full of class. Not sure about his size though. Did not appear small against his teammates, but could be as they are generally small.

Austin has been playing senior football in Darwin since he was about 15 mainly as a small running backman with the occasional run further up the ground.

Since moving to Norwood has played as a small forward. Dont think he has the pace or kicks enough goals to make it at AFL level.

Well, I think only HBF can clear that up because this pretty much just sounds like a misunderstanding. It's a bit out there to say Simpson will be better, but certainly not inconceivable.
No misunderstanding on my part, Pykie posted in another thread his top ten which had McEvoy at pick two. Some people were suprised by this and HBF commented "I rate Dawson Simson a little higher than McEvoy at the moment" The question has always been who is the better player/prospect right here right now. The gap between the two is significant and will be proven to be so in November all the other stuff is semantics.

No misunderstanding on my part, Pykie posted in another thread his top ten which had McEvoy at pick two. Some people were suprised by this and HBF commented "I rate Dawson Simson a little higher than McEvoy at the moment" The question has always been who is the better player/prospect right here right now. The gap between the two is significant and will be proven to be so in November all the other stuff is semantics.

Let me see if I can clear this up once and for all. Perhaps what I wrote didn't quite capture what I meant.

* Right now, McEvoy is the better footballer than Simpson

* Given that McEvoy is more developed than Simpson, I believe Simpson has more upside that McEvoy.

* From what I have read here on BF, Dawson has now hit 207cm, and with his mobility, he sure is a tantilising prospect.

Who knows where they will end up in the draft. But, saying that just becuase you get drafted higher than another player means that you will be a better player, is just ludicrious.

I rated Simpson higher than McEvoy becuase of his upside, and not what he brings to the table right now. I think recruiters know what they will probably get with McEvoy, but with Simpson, who knows, but given what he has shown, he could be anything.

This is bordering on obsessive...move on

You dont like it when someone doesnt agree with your opinion do you ?
FFS stop screwing up a good thread with your petty B.S. Get over it , someone doesnt agree with you big deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leading draft prospects at midyear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back