Leading draft prospects at midyear

Remove this Banner Ad

Weaver, on the off-chance that Carlton manage to get the first pick and pick up Kreuzer, can you see Richmond picking up a player like Henderson with their second pick in a bid to shore up their tall stocks (ahead of more well known players like Cotchin).

This is what im predicting, if a Carlton, Richmond 1 & 2, but I think it may be McEvoy

Can't really see the above situation happening especially as we're yet to put together a cohesive midfield unit. If anything we'll go Cotchin and then attempt to pick up a ruckman and key back with picks 17 and 19 if Kreuzer is gone.

I like Whitecross and Reid. I'm not that big a fan of Mulligan, but he will get drafted as a project player - certainly could turn into anything and I reckon that'll boost his draft position a bit. Not sure about his heart though. I read here that he doesn't 'like' rucking. Uhhhh, I wouldn't be choosy if I were a prospective AFL player, so if true that sort of attitude would worry me.

I also think Daye would be worth a shot. Like you say, he's got some tools there - just needs a toolbox to put it all together.

One guy that I really like is Dayne Zorco, but his type isn't really appreciated in the AFL. A good, hard at it ball extractor. He's pretty small though. I can't imagine he won't get rookie listed to Brisbane if he doesn't get picked up but his disposal needs to clean up to make up for his lack of size. If his disposal can clean up, making size his main deficiency then I think he's got enough redeeming qualities.

Thats funny u said that, i also like Zorko......Has that real Adrain Fletcher feel about him. 1 player from Queensland that i actually wrote something positive down about :eek: Just think the recruiters will make him earn his stripes the way Sammy Mitchell did in Senior Footy at VFL - SANFL level. Maybe a Rookie Pick with some luck,

This is what im predicting, if a Carlton, Richmond 1 & 2, but I think it may be McEvoy

IMO there is a shit load of Ruckman with a heap of potential in this draft, cant see Carlton gambling with pick 2 on McEvoy.. But hey it isnt outa the question. If it came down to Cotchin or McEvoy, i know which way they would go.

LH15, don't take this as a criticism because you know a lot more than I do about the possible draftees but I recall last year that you didn't rate many of the Queensland boys. From memory you only had about 2 that you rated highly (Urquhart was one I think). I just wonder what your source of info is beyond the champs.

An interesting point though. The AFL website's run down of the 2007 Queensland side has Dan Brittain listed as 178cm. I always thought he was about 6ft so I checked around. Last year's AFL website run down of the 2006 Qld side has him at 183cm! According to the ever accurate AFL, the guy has shrunk by 5cm in 12 months.

I rated a few Queenslander very high last year

Urquart
Petterd
Renouf
Proud

I manage to get my hands on a shit load of DVD's of under age footy, so that is pretty much my source as well as sitting in on the champs and some TAC games. Dont claim to know anywhere near as much as the Pros because these guys are freaks, as an eductaed guess the good recruiters would watch each possible player at least 8-10 times IMO..... Recruiting made out to be a massive glamorous job. But in reality its dam hard work if u want to be good at ur craft. And from what i have gathered in my short time as a hobbie, its an artform that only a very few have the talent to be very good at.

I don't think there is any way McEvoy goes number two. Rucks are notoriously difficult to pick and McEvoy is hardly a lay down cert. They won't take the risk when there are so many great prospects available. The depth of talent this year at the ruck is second to none.

On Zorco I would expect him probably not to get drafted and fall to Brisbane as a zone rookie pick. He is a little athletically challenged. The player that I thought is in a similar position to is McGregor from NSW who also had a great championship but is a bit short.

I don't think there is any way McEvoy goes number two. Rucks are notoriously difficult to pick and McEvoy is hardly a lay down cert. They won't take the risk when there are so many great prospects available. The depth of talent this year at the ruck is second to none.

On Zorco I would expect him probably not to get drafted and fall to Brisbane as a zone rookie pick. He is a little athletically challenged. The player that I thought is in a similar position to is McGregor from NSW who also had a great championship but is a bit short.

The game maybe has passed over the Zorko types, shame really buts the reality of todays footy. McEvoy sits inside my Top 10 at the minute, but he is at the late half not the first 5.

Agree on the Ruckman, there will be an orgy fest on them this year. 6 Near certs to get taken with maybe even 2-3 more and thats just in the National Draft :eek: .

Thats funny u said that, i also like Zorko......Has that real Adrain Fletcher feel about him. 1 player from Queensland that i actually wrote something positive down about :eek: Just think the recruiters will make him earn his stripes the way Sammy Mitchell did in Senior Footy at VFL - SANFL level. Maybe a Rookie Pick with some luck,

I'm a Zorko fan as well. Get's alot of the ball, and really like the way he attacks the ball - his intensity is also very good. However, at 176cm, he might get a gig on the rookie list at best.

everyones thoughts on these boys ?? what number they will go ?? what you think they need to improve on

jarrad grant (peninsula, dandenong and VM)
scott simpson (mount eliza , dandenong and VM)

OK, is it Zorco or Zorko? I've seen him listed as both in official sources.

Zorko.
That's how they have spelt it in the official NAB AFL Under 18 Championships guide.

everyones thoughts on these boys ?? what number they will go ?? what you think they need to improve on

jarrad grant (peninsula, dandenong and VM)
scott simpson (mount eliza , dandenong and VM)

I have both these guys in the 30-40 range in my top 50 at this stage. Very likely to change between now and the draft.

Since Kreuzer and Cotchin are likely to be taken at one or two, which player has the skill and talent to be a genuine elite player at AFL level?

"Capable in the ruck" sounds like there's a risk Kreuzer might not be a gun ruckman who is great at giving his midfield first use of the ball. I understand the reasons why Kreuzer would be drafted at one, but I feel wary about Carlton potentially drafting a ruckman because he plays like a midfielder. We had the chance to take Leuenberger who is a Dean Cox clone and moves like a midfielder, but we went for a midfielder in Gibbs when we needed a ruck.

If Cotchin has the skills and talent to be an elite player like G.Ablett jnr, I could live with Carlton not taking Kreuzer because Cotchin ticked all the boxes.

Is Kreuzer a similar player to Fraser?

Who would want to be a recruiter? :thumbsdown:

weaver (or anyone else) whats your opinion on chris mayne from wa? didnt play the carnival because he's too old but has been absolutely choppin up in the colts out west. i think many people would have him in their top 50's..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since Kreuzer and Cotchin are likely to be taken at one or two, which player has the skill and talent to be a genuine elite player at AFL level?

"Capable in the ruck" sounds like there's a risk Kreuzer might not be a gun ruckman who is great at giving his midfield first use of the ball. I understand the reasons why Kreuzer would be drafted at one, but I feel wary about Carlton potentially drafting a ruckman because he plays like a midfielder. We had the chance to take Leuenberger who is a Dean Cox clone and moves like a midfielder, but we went for a midfielder in Gibbs when we needed a ruck.

If Cotchin has the skills and talent to be an elite player like G.Ablett jnr, I could live with Carlton not taking Kreuzer because Cotchin ticked all the boxes.

Is Kreuzer a similar player to Fraser?

Who would want to be a recruiter? :thumbsdown:

From what i've seen of Kreuzer, in a general sense he is similar to Fraser. A good but not spectacular ruckman but excellent around the ground. Likes to go forward and kick a few goals also.The thing with Kreuzer is that he isn't built like a beanpole, he has a well developed body size already. Also is more intense at the football in close, loves to tackle, throw his body around and do the one percenters more than Fraser. But that said, it is only my opinion and i haven't seen a whole lot of him.

From what i've seen of Kreuzer, in a general sense he is similar to Fraser. A good but not spectacular ruckman but excellent around the ground. Likes to go forward and kick a few goals also.The thing with Kreuzer is that he isn't built like a beanpole, he has a well developed body size already. Also is more intense at the football in close, loves to tackle, throw his body around and do the one percenters more than Fraser. But that said, it is only my opinion and i haven't seen a whole lot of him.

But a pretty accurate assesment nonetheless there Sublime. Just loves a contest, and his mobility around the ground is pretty good to say the least.

Hi Weaver,

I'm wondering if you have an opinion on Jack Steven from the Geelong Falcons (via Lorne). I ask because it's been 27 years since someone from my club made it to the AFL.

I'm not one to get my nose out of joint if you don't rate him. I have never seen him play and wouldn't know him if I fell over him, but everyone wants a kid from their home town to make it.

His dad was an exceptional footballer (albeit in a poor league) and his uncle played for North Melbourne IIRC.

From what i've seen at tac and nationals i woukd be looking at Simpson from the bushrangers before Kruizer as a ruckman/forward.

But a pretty accurate assesment nonetheless there Sublime. Just loves a contest, and his mobility around the ground is pretty good to say the least.
would be looking at Simpson from the bushrangers ahead of Kruizer as a ruckman forward ,He seems to be coming on really well if his form at the nationals is anything to go on

Hahaha, I rate Dawson Simpson, but c'mon, that's just ridiculous.

He isn't even the best ruckman/forward prospect from the Murray Bushrangers! Actually, I haven't seen Simpson play in the forward line yet. He just seems more like a beanpole ruckman who can take a grab every now and then by virtue of being taller than everyone else.

Simpson has had 42 kicks this season. Kreuzer has had exactly that many kicks since Nationals.

Should get drafted IMO, but no earlier than the third round based on the strength of rucks in this draft - Kreuzer, McEvoy, Bellchambers, even Will Sullivan. In fact, he's a lot more comparable to Sullivan, who I beleive will go late in the third at best.

Hahaha, I rate Dawson Simpson, but c'mon, that's just ridiculous.

He isn't even the best ruckman/forward prospect from the Murray Bushrangers! Actually, I haven't seen Simpson play in the forward line yet. He just seems more like a beanpole ruckman who can take a grab every now and then by virtue of being taller than everyone else.

Simpson has had 42 kicks this season. Kreuzer has had exactly that many kicks since Nationals.

Should get drafted IMO, but no earlier than the third round based on the strength of rucks in this draft - Kreuzer, McEvoy, Bellchambers, even Will Sullivan. In fact, he's a lot more comparable to Sullivan, who I beleive will go late in the third at best.

Dont know how u can say that about a guy that is over 100kg :confused:

Dont know how u can say that about a guy that is over 100kg :confused:
When you're 206cm, it would be strange NOT to weigh 100kgs...

Josh Fraser is 202cm and 100kg, and he's still relatively skinny.

When you're around that height, you'd want to weigh upwards of 105kgs before you're a good weight.

Mulligan - is as raw as but has potential - Late Speculative pick
Brittan - YUK, Slow undersized mid, no thanks.
Daye - Has Speed and some Tools just needs to learn how to play footy
Reid - A shit load better kids in the TAC than him. YUK

What guys did u like Vic Crow ??
for a bloke that watches a lot of tapes to me you dont know much about footy

yes. info from down that way is he just gets better every game.mobility and hands have improved.Have only seen him a couple of times this year but mates from Albury have been impressed

Don't let ChipDouglas see this post. He'll get all narky onya arse, and tell you that Simpson is way behind McEvoy. :rolleyes:

I really rate Simpson as well. Been very very impressed with him every time I have seen him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leading draft prospects at midyear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back