Leading draft prospects at midyear

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me see if I can clear this up once and for all. Perhaps what I wrote didn't quite capture what I meant.

* Right now, McEvoy is the better footballer than Simpson

* Given that McEvoy is more developed than Simpson, I believe Simpson has more upside that McEvoy.

* From what I have read here on BF, Dawson has now hit 207cm, and with his mobility, he sure is a tantilising prospect.

Who knows where they will end up in the draft. But, saying that just becuase you get drafted higher than another player means that you will be a better player, is just ludicrious.

I rated Simpson higher than McEvoy becuase of his upside, and not what he brings to the table right now. I think recruiters know what they will probably get with McEvoy, but with Simpson, who knows, but given what he has shown, he could be anything.

HBF and others
Would u profile Simpson and do a comparison with Will Sullivan.
cheers

Simpson will be drafted, no two ways about that. As to what position, who knows at the moment. He's a little up and down.

One to look out for next year from Murray was Andrew Browne, spent time in the ruck and down forward on the weekend and was very impressive. In fact had the bigger impact of the 2 Murray ruckman on the day.

McEvoy is getting harder to rate as a ruckman seeing he's spending most of his time up forward.

Simpson will be drafted, no two ways about that. As to what position, who knows at the moment. He's a little up and down.

One to look out for next year from Murray was Andrew Browne, spent time in the ruck and down forward on the weekend and was very impressive. In fact had the bigger impact of the 2 Murray ruckman on the day.

McEvoy is getting harder to rate as a ruckman seeing he's spending most of his time up forward.

See Dean Putt, sarcastically even Matthew Kruezer

I would have Zaharakis in my top 50 aswell.
Has shown glimpses of his talent during the TAC cup this year with northern and was unlucky to miss out on a gig for Vic Metro u/18 this year getting cut very late.

Has shown glimpses of his talent during the TAC cup this year with northern and was unlucky to miss out on a gig for Vic Metro u/18 this year getting cut very late.
good call Barnesy, every time I see Zacca he kills them. He really stood out on the under 16 nationals and I thought he was very unlucky to miss this year. His size might be the only reason people don't rate him as highly but very skilled and hard worker

Zaharakis has all of the attributes IMO. He just needs to learn how to use them all. I can see him ending up being a late speculative pick that could turn into anything. He has remarkable pace - that's his main strength and there's plenty to work with. Probably needs to get a bit harder at the contest though. I've seen him do some things this season that would suggest he can cut it in the AFL.

Was one of the last ones to be cut from the VM squad IIRC. Really like his endeavour, and has shown some real talent this year. Would certainly be a value pick later in the draft.

i can see him going around the 50+ mark instead of giving up pick 20-30 next year for him. in three years time will make a large impact and all the clubs supporters will be thinking where did this kid come from? because he wont have all the hype surrounding him like he would if he gets picked up next year...any one agree??

i can see him going around the 50+ mark instead of giving up pick 20-30 next year for him. in three years time will make a large impact and all the clubs supporters will be thinking where did this kid come from? because he wont have all the hype surrounding him like he would if he gets picked up next year...any one agree??
That's exactly what I think is going to happen.

I think so as well. 50+ would be about right IMO.

Certainly don't really like his form. That said Goldsack looked a soft, outside winger last season who couldn't / wouldn't hold down a KP spot. Athletic, pretty good kick, covered ground. Jumps straight into the AFL at CHB???

That's really strange that he was seen as soft last year, ever since his debut he has been nothing but courageous and tenacious.

Sorry - first time I have seen this.

Super effort and different to what I had. really surprised to see no Greenwood (who I have top 15 on my list currently), Polkinghorne and Maric (who I have top 20). Polkinghorne maybe one you would have 50-70?????

Agree on Kangars and Miller - the latter particularly.

Think my mock is looking a little left field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great read Weaver.
But do you believe that Cyril Rioli is the only indigenous kid to have a chance of being picked up in the first 3 rounds? There were quite a few last year. I thought Motlop from NT and Jacky and Yarran from WA were rated quite highly.

Austin has been playing senior football in Darwin since he was about 15 mainly as a small running backman with the occasional run further up the ground.

Since moving to Norwood has played as a small forward. Dont think he has the pace or kicks enough goals to make it at AFL level.
4 goals and among the best players last weekend. Even when Norwood got pumped in their previous match, he laid 7 tackles and his defensive work in the forward line was singled out for praise.

A lot of recruiters would look at his height and body shape (his weight is far from excessive; but his weight distribution is the opposite of Nathan Krakouer's) and immediately say 'no way'; but he is quick and does have lovely skills and good endurance. Mind you, being selfish, I'd rather see him continue to play for Norwood than go somewhere interstate as a rookie.

Great stuff weaver:thumbsu:. I am a fan of Steve Gaertner, he is a athletic freak. When do u think he will go in this draft?, im think around pick 20. Who do u think richmond will pick up with picks 18 and 19. Do u beleive that we will get Trent Cotchin with pick #2.
What do u think about a young rover Myke Cook. He is 74 kg an 6 ft. He is a hard nut and the only sandy dragons player at Canberra. Do u think he will get picked up, if so when.
thanx

Now that draft camp is over, Weaver - would you make any major alterations to your list?

Yeah - very much looking forward to your next mock, Weaver. Always one of the highlights of this time of year.

peter rolfe is definately the premier running wingman half forwrd for the territory. and can use the footy well. carved the tac cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Leading draft prospects at midyear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back