Leon Davis severs ties with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

How has he gone in the Copeland over the past couple of years Timmy.

I rate him based on the genuine quality of the past 2 years, they dont give AA to also rans. Cant see him getting the same money at the Eagles as he wouldnt be eligible for the veterans list.

I can understand the Pies hard balling it, but it doesnt do much for the call to club loyalty.

He came 8th in 2009 and 5th in 2011 in the Copeland. Didn't make the top 10 last year, he didn't have a great 2010.

Am I the only one who thought Davis was actually decent in the GF? Much better then a bunch of other players

Yeah he was OK, not great but far from our worst.

If Davis does leave Collingwood and go back to WA and Freo refuse to pick him up, because they want to stick to their youth type policy and give his spot on the list to someone who is a reasonably remote chance to play much decent footy, that will be crazy, IMO.
They've just gone all out to get Ross Lyon, presumably because they want to have a red hot crack at a flag and now they've got the chance to snaffle someone who made the AA team THIS YEAR, relatively cheaply and without having to trade anyone and they don't want to do it? :eek:
That's crazy shit. You are allowed to be a bit flexible in your plans, Freo.

Am I the only one who thought Davis was actually decent in the GF? Much better then a bunch of other players

I second that and refute the generalising that he does not perform in finals - commentators start the 'furfie' and others jump on the bandwagon without scrutinising those games.....If he comes our way...welcome home Leon your a champion :thumbsu:

I too find it hard to believe that the WA sides aren't interested. Fremantle could use him to push Duffield into the midfield. Both sides would fancy their chances of winning a flag within the next two years - and it would be crazy for them not to take an AA defender, who will only cost a low ND pick.

The only reason other clubs won't take him is salary cap. It ain't over till it's over, and there's still a chance that club and player may meet in the middle somewhere. Ideally this compromise will allow us to retain BOTH Davis and Maccaffer.

If he goes he goes. there's only so much salary you can pay a 30 year old back pocket, even taking into account his AA status.

I too find it hard to believe that the WA sides aren't interested. Fremantle could use him to push Duffield into the midfield. Both sides would fancy their chances of winning a flag within the next two years - and it would be crazy for them not to take an AA defender, who will only cost a low ND pick.

Good player but I cant see value for the Eagles, but as Liam Pickering is also Darren Glass's manager, I'd think he has a good idea of where the Eagles salary cap is at.

I really rate Ash Smith (21) & he's the one who would be pushed back in the pecking order, not as good as Leon in 2011, but he's got 8-9 years of good/great footy in front of him.

Geelong lost Egan after 2007 and Ablett after 2010 and it didn't hurt them.

Collingwood aren't anywhere near Geelong in any way. Not in their footballing ability, list management or premiership winning... Terrible comparison... Kind of similar to these Pies supporters assuming that they will win the flag in '12 because they have a first year coach and Geelong did it this year. Dreamers....

Yep those 2 goals in the first 2 minutes of the game that his direct opponent kicked was absolutely brilliant.

Those kick outs from full back and uncontested possessions in the back pocket that went to contests along the boundary were sublime.

Collingwood aren't anywhere near Geelong in any way. Not in their footballing ability, list management or premiership winning... Terrible comparison... Kind of similar to these Pies supporters assuming that they will win the flag in '12 because they have a first year coach and Geelong did it this year. Dreamers....

Regardless it's possible to lose an AA player and recover. Especially so when you're talking about a 30 year old back pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Collingwood will chug along just nicely, with or without Davis the deserter.

Deserter is a bit harsh. He's played 225 games for the club, is just coming off an AA season and Collingwood want him to take a $100k a year pay cut when he's eligible for the veterans list? Bit of a slap in the face to be honest.

If it comes down to a choice between Davis and Maccaffer, I choose Maccaffer who is younger and is a proven finals player.

there's still a chance we will keep both if Leon agrees to a more realistic contract.

Maccaffer is unwanted, hence hes basically having to play for first year wages. No matter how you sugar coat it losing a AA player that would have been strongly in Buckleys plans for next year and beyond will hurt.

I'll check with this again in 4 years.

I cant get over the cheek of Davis, the only times he ever comes good is when ever his contract is coming to an end, and Collingwood give him a great deal and then he slackens off for 2 years until the next contract is about to end. He's really only earned his salary in two of the ten years he's been at Collingwood.

I cant get over the cheek of Davis, the only times he ever comes good is when ever his contract is coming to an end, and Collingwood give him a great deal and then he slackens off for 2 years until the next contract is about to end. He's really only earned his salary in two of the ten years he's been at Collingwood.

I was going to ask that question

were both of his AA seasons in what the NBA would call contract years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_year_phenomenon

if so any WA club (or the Pies) should sign him to a 1 year deal only.

You can't blame Leon for wanting to shore up his family's financial future, he is most likely not going to earn the amount of coin playing AFL once he retires.

Loyalty to the club and jumper is an obsolete and naive line of thinking. Leon is gone, can't see him coming back, don't know where the Pies can find the extra salary cap money to pay him

follow the game at all do you?

follow the game at all do you?
what so if you add up all the money he's received from Collingwood throughout his entire career, do you honestly think that he's deserved as much as he has? I think the club knows only all too well that he's been paid over the odds for many years now and are trying to strike an equilibrium this time around

Maccaffer is unwanted, hence hes basically having to play for first year wages. No matter how you sugar coat it losing a AA player that would have been strongly in Buckleys plans for next year and beyond will hurt.
Losing Davis would be a negative but far from insurmountable. We have a few options for his position and when he didn't play it we won the flag with essentially the same squad. All things being equal, I'd rather have him than not in 2012 but thaqt would like be his last year anyway and with or without him the difference in 1st and 2nd was Geelong not Davis or Goldsack who relpaced him in 2010 and was effectioveky replaced by him in 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leon Davis severs ties with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back