Leon Davis severs ties with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

On Harry O though.

Tarrant was on him for long periods.....hence the "**** you Taz" comment after Stevie kicked the winning goal.....

If Harry had been on him the whole game he would have kicked 8!

Must say the love and gratitude toward Leon Davis for his 225 games of service from Pie fans on here is truly heartwarming.

As the aboriginal footballer to breakdown long held prejudices at the Pies, Leon deserves every respect:

Let his critics say what they will - Davis is part of Collingwood history. It is almost hard to remember Collingwood before Eddie McGuire (or B.E., as that era might be known). But Collingwood B.E. had a racist edge permanently captured in Wayne Ludbey's photograph of St Kilda's Nicky Winmar lifting his guernsey and pointing to his black skin at Victoria Park in 1993.
The troika of president McGuire, coach Malthouse and captain Nathan Buckley set about altering attitudes within the club, but they still needed an Aboriginal player to become part of the furniture of the place so that his name and Collingwood's were interchangeable. Davis was that player.
There had been indigenous footballers at Collingwood before, but none who had become a name on the lips of the Magpie Army. Davis put the black into the black-and-white, and now it's hard to think the club was ever any other way.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ackandwhite-20111028-1mo52.html#ixzz1cKyq3Drg

I have to say that I'm gobsmacked WC or Freo can't find a spot for this bloke - just seems crazy that you would walk away from essentially "free" All Australian talent.
Maybe one of the two will pick him up?

If not maybe Davis has mentally had enough of playing at AFL level.

I remember how Chad Fletcher declined and yet on his last game was BOG or close to.

When interviewed he said his heart not his body had not been in it for a while. Maybe Leon just wants a lifestyle change and to avoid playing poor football when his mind and heart are elsewhere.

I remember how Chad Fletcher declined and yet on his last game was BOG or close to..

Fletcher was an ordinary player to start with, it's fair to say he wouldn't have survived too many years without the midfield he played with. Once that midfield broke up, he was always living on borrowed time.

As a Collingwood supporter I believe Nathan Buckley has done the right thing ditching Davis. He has played 12 seasons at Collingwood, and has given 3 good years with lost of cameos but never really hit the heights.

Madhouse admitted Davis was picked in the first half of his career because of his colour rather than his form (HS article on Davis' 100th AFL game). He had to to get over McAlister's racism.

But it means Davis played 100 games more than he was entitled to play.

He will be a star in the WAFL, something he never truly achieved in the AFL.

I have to say that I'm gobsmacked WC or Freo can't find a spot for this bloke - just seems crazy that you would walk away from essentially "free" All Australian talent.
Given his finals record, hard to really justify bringing in such an old player.

Freo have a lot of late draft picks so wouldn't count davis out there.

Any if wce delist Neates to re-rookie him that could be a sign they will pick up leon davis.

As a Collingwood supporter I believe Nathan Buckley has done the right thing ditching Davis. He has played 12 seasons at Collingwood, and has given 3 good years with lost of cameos but never really hit the heights.

I think you'll find that Davis "ditched" Collingwood....but if it makes you feel better, stick with your own story....

Davis " ditched " Collingwood for personal reasons that are perfectly understandable. There is more to life than football, even for professional footballers.

Maligning the guy and diminishing him for recognising that he needed to be closer to his family to be able to give 100% to his footy is churlish and unnecessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fletcher was an ordinary player to start with, it's fair to say he wouldn't have survived too many years without the midfield he played with. Once that midfield broke up, he was always living on borrowed time.

Ordinary player?

179 games, All-Australian, Premiership player and placed multiple times in the Best and Fairest.

He wasn't ordinary, he was a fine player.

At his prime he was a very good player. AA in fact.

I could say the same about Leon, being able to play the loose role due to the excellent support he had from team mates, but I don't believe it about either.

Sometimes family life comes first. Still has plenty to offer whether playing at AFL level or in some other capacity.

I think you'll find that Davis "ditched" Collingwood....but if it makes you feel better, stick with your own story....

Davis " ditched " Collingwood for personal reasons that are perfectly understandable. There is more to life than football, even for professional footballers.

Maligning the guy and diminishing him for recognising that he needed to be closer to his family to be able to give 100% to his footy is churlish and unnecessary.
Agree wholeheartedly.

I'd say Fletcher's reasons for retiring had more to do with what he later ended up being arrested for.

A far as I know you cant be picked in the draft unless you nominate.

All this speculation about Davis being picked up by Freo is therefore pointless. If Davis has retired he cant be drafted. If he has a change of heart at some stage and decides to nominate, then at that point we have something serious to discuss.

If you are dropped off a list you are automatically in the draft for that year.

I haven't really done that. I just wish he had gone sooner. We gave him about 100 games more than he deserved. After he got the armchair ride good on him for AA selection which says more about the selectors than Davis' form when the heat is on.

But the AA selection I suppose is about H & A form only. So he gets in. But if it included his finals form, he would never get in.

A proven finals flop.....again and again.

If you are dropped off a list you are automatically in the draft for that year.

At what salary? Hes going to have to nominate a wage unless he is happy to play for base wages, which we know he isnt.

I thought that rule about drafting unwilling players changed decades ago after Collingwood drafted Gerard Healy in the vain hope of dragging him out of retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leon Davis severs ties with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back