Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

If I'm reading this correctly, Boak is better because he polls well in the Brownlow, but Wines doesn't make the cut even though he won it.

You’re drunk, Shaun Burgoyne, Francou, Carr were all better than Boak, would argue JHF and Butters better than Boak, and that’s without putting any thought into it. Again, Boak has been good, probably suffers from being played in the high half forward role for to long in my mind.

Was Shaun even the best player in his family?

Martin Leslie was the canary in the coalmine for South Australia and the future AFL.

It’s one thing to lose Craig Bradley to Carlton, or Mark Williams to Collingwood, or Greg Anderson to Essendon.

But to lose your champion key defender, in the absolute prime of his life at 25 years old, with a premiership medallion in his back pocket, and an All-Australian guernsey draped over his shoulder for taking Dermott Brereton to the cleaners at the National Championships…

To the freaking Brisbane Bears?

Trouble brewing.

Bit left field, but if we finish top four, I am only expecting a consolation Butters on the bench in the AA team.

i think over the year so far, Butters has been our best player.

If I'm reading this correctly, Boak is better because he polls well in the Brownlow, but Wines doesn't make the cut even though he won it.
Boaks longevity and leadership (he was very good and very clutch in 2013-2014 before Ken nerfed him) over Wines having one great season.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I think it's pretty silly to argue that Boak and Wines aren't the two best midfielders of our AFL era (not counting Gray as a pure midfielder). Longevity counts for something. Being in the best handful of midfielders in the league at their respective peaks counts for something. BigFooty likes to downgrade them based on lack of team success but at some point the case is overwhelming regardless of team success.

Horne-Francis will be clear number one by the end of his career though and will also go past Tredrea as overall GOAT.

Our top 10 is pretty empty for KPP.

Tredders is a certainty.

Primus is a probably.

Chad Cornes is a probably, but he was also a utility that played midfield.

Schulz is a maybe.

Anyone else would be hot take material.

Such a strange effort.

They go to the trouble of getting Boulton and Bucky, who explain everything regarding the bid, circumstances and transition rather well, but the host makes it sound as if the Power have nothing to do with the Magpies whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a strange effort.

They go to the trouble of getting Boulton and Bucky, who explain everything regarding the bid, circumstances and transition rather well, but the host makes it sound as if the Power have nothing to do with the Magpies whatsoever.
I was waiting for him to mention the One Club merger but no. So clearly the effort to split the two in the beginning was for commercial and marketing reasons, not that the club necessarily wanted to.

We'd already wasted 5 years to in and I think they'd already agree to wear pink jerseys by that point.

Kinda funny Dew cops it for us not making finals year 1, like making finals (ironically) is why we exist.

Peter every day of the week.

It’s admittedly a controversial take but one I’m inclined to subscribe to.

The default perception that Shaun is Michael Voss to Peter’s Brett grinds my gears a little worse with each passing year.

It’s admittedly a controversial take but one I’m inclined to subscribe to.

The default perception that Shaun is Michael Voss to Peter’s Brett grinds my gears a little worse with each passing year.
Choco's efforts to turn him into a seagull HBF quarterback at the end of his career really messed up his legacy...

Burgoyne was the best player in the comp in ‘07, Francou two top three Brownlow finishes and Carr is criminally under rated, what hurts his legacy is the departure to Freo at the peak of his powers.
Boak finished 4th in the Brownlow in 2014, 2nd in 2020 and 7th (as the clubs number 2 vote getter) in 2021.

And in 2013/14 was smashing in Captain's goals when it was needed through the season.

Was Shaun even the best player in his family?
What level of family are we talking? Does it include by marriage?

Personally its a hard call to make, when Peter was at his best in the midfield, he wasn't our clear cut best midfielder.

When Shaun was playing at his best, he was the number 1 midfielder. But where does the All Australian version of Shaun Burgoyne sit in comparison to 2004 versions of Francou, Carr and Roger James?

Last edited:
What level of family are we talking? Does it include by marriage?

Personally its a hard call to make, when Peter was at his best in the midfield, he wasn't our clear cut best midfielder.

When Shaun was playing at his best, he was the number 1 midfielder. But where does the All Australian version of Shaun Burgoyne sit in comparison to 2004 versions of Francou, Carr and Roger James?
I reckon any Shaun Burgoyne sits above 2004 Josh Francou

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back