Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Ford Fairlane I tried to find a thread on Andrew Russell but couldn't. He left before I joined Big Footy so I might be searching for the wrong thing. This post belongs in that thread if it exists, maybe moved there, so I will stick it in this general Port stuff thread.

Andrew Russell was on 5AA this evening as he is finishing up in footy. Didn't say where he was going, but is staying in sports.

Timmy G interviewed him and you could tell he knows Tim well, Tim has high regards for Andrew and Andrew talks fondly about his time at Port.

I was angry listening to the interview, as for the first time, he revealed why he left Port. Port farked up, and going back to Victoria for family reasons is a bullshit cover story, to hide our ineptitude at the time.

After 20 years, he for the first time in a public forum, explained what really happened.

Now I am farken ropeable at the moment after hearing the interview, as Greg Bolton, his board, Brian Cunningham and new CEO John James and the footy department just didn't get it and how important it was to employ an elite world class sports scientist at the time - well to retain one.

I have been saying for years on here, we need a world class sport scientist heading up our fitness department.

**** I knew it 35 or 40 years ago we did. Take out the drugs bullshit, but a lot of the Soviets and Eastern bloc sports success was because they invested so much into sports science. Then the rest of the world copied.

The AIS became a world leader, and Aussie unis and old Colleges of Advanced Education before they became unis, started opening up courses to feed young sports scientists into the AIS program, and then all the state based programs that developed, as state governments saw the benefit of having their own local expertise, rather than everyone going to Canberra.

Then Sydney winning the hosting rights in 1993 for the 2000 Games, the federal government funded the Olympic Athlete program to make sure of a super successful Games and a lot of funding was put into sports science and coaching.

Russell was up with the best of them. He had worked at the VIS before he got to Port in October 2000, and he was working with great athletes and a great sports science set up, as they were preparing for Sydney.

He basically told Choco and Phil Walsh in his job interview, both ex PE teachers, what the players should be doing training wise, which was different to what they told him they believed they should be doing for AFL. Remember 2000 was the first season of 100% full time footballers. Russell had come from an environment where people had been full time athletes for years.

Got to give it to Choco and Phil that they trusted and let a 24 year old take over the reigns. He said when he got to Port from Essendon which had just come off a 24-1 premiership season, he couldn't believe how well the Port players were skill wise and knew something special was coming, when people asked why would you leave a premiership side.

In the end, our dopey administration and board didn't understand and value of what an elite world class sports scientist can do. They would not pay him enough, made him a BS offer, then when the club found out Clarko was after him and that he had committed to him, they double the increase, but it was too late.

Jason Dunstall as acting interim CEO, came over to Adelaide and put the hard word on Russell, to prove he was a man of integrity or not, and to live up to his agreement with Clarko. How could Russell have turned it down when Port didn't value him??

Listen to Russell talk about how he also set up that our mid field play in a touch rugby competition in the park on a Tuesday, in the A grade comp over summer, on top of all their other training.

Last edited:
Ford Fairlane I tried to find a thread on Andrew Russell but couldn't. He left before I joined Big Footy so I might be searching for the wrong thing. This post belongs in that thread if it exists, maybe moved there, so I will stick it in this general Port stuff thread.

Andrew Russell was on 5AA this evening as he is finishing up in footy. Didn't say where he was going but staying in sports.

Timmy G interviewed him and you could tell he knows Tim well, Tim has high regards for Andrew and Andrew talks fondly about his time at Port.

I was angry listening to the interview, as for the first time, he revealed why he left Port. Port farked up, and going back to Victoria for family reasons is a bullshit cover story to hide our ineptitude at the time.

After 20 years, he for the first time in a public forum, explained what really happened.

Now I am farken ropeable at the moment after hearing the interview, as Greg Bolton, his board, Brian Cunningham and new CEO John James and the footy department just didn't get it and how important it was to employ an elite world class sports scientist at the time - well to retain one.

I have been saying for years on here, we need a world class sport scientist heading up our fitness department.

**** I knew it 35 or 40 years ago we did. Take out the drugs bullshit, but a lot of the Soviets and Eastern bloc sports success was because they invested so much into sports science. Then the rest of the world copied.

The AIS became a world leader, and Aussie unis and old Colleges of Advanced Education before they became unis, started opening up courses to feed young sports scientists into the AIS program and then all the state based programs that developed, as state governments say the benefit of having their own local expertise rather than everyone going to Canberra.

Then Sydney winning the hosting rights in 1993 for the 2000 games the government funded the Olympic Athlete program to make sure of success and a lot of funding was put into sports science and coaching

Russell was up with the best of them. He had worked at the VIS before he got to Port in October 2000 and he was working with great athletes and a great sports science set up, as they were preparing for Sydney.

He basically told Choco and Phil Walsh, both ex PE teachers, what the players should be doing training wise, which was different to what they told they believed they should be doing for AFL. Remember 2000 was the first season of 100% full time footballers. Russell had come from an environment where people had been full time athletes for year.

Got to give it to Choco and Phil that they trusted and let a 24 year old take over the reigns. He said when he got to Port from Essendon which had just come off a 24-1 premiership season he couldn't believe how well the Port player were skill wise.

In the end our dopey administration and board didn't understand and value what an elite world class sports scientist can do. They would not pay him enough, made him a BS offer, then when the club found out Clarko was after him and that he had committed to him they double it but it was too late.

Jason Dunstall as acting interim CEO came over to Adelaide and put the hard word on Russell to prove he was a man of integrity on not and to live up to his agreement with Clarko. How could Russell have turned it down when Port didn't value him.

Listen to Russell talk about how he set up that our mid field play in a touch rugby competition in the park on a Tuesday in the A grade comp over summer, on top of all their other training.

That club owe Dunstall more than they realise, plays the clown on TV yet a ruthless nasty get things done bastard in reality.

Thanks for posting RussellEbertHandball

I'm not sure where I heard or read it but for some reason I thought it was only an extra $20k that got Russell over to Hawthorn. I didn't know Ports came back at him though.

It's also hard to believe only 24 years ago that a premier team in a top tier national comp didn't rate their fitness coach and were paying peanuts.

Compare that to what AC Milan were doing in the late 80s early 90s.

Also interesting to hear about Russell's relationship with Choco. Flat out disagreed with him in the interview, yet Choco hired him rather than looking for a yes man. Still friends to the day.

Although I'm not sure about Choco not being contracted for 2005 on Grand Final day, I don't recall that, but if true, just another glaring difference.

Last edited:

I love watching and listening on a Monday at all the review products, not to get a mention outside of Port are flying under the radar. The Couch only spoke of Melbourne!

What level of family are we talking? Does it include by marriage?

Personally its a hard call to make, when Peter was at his best in the midfield, he wasn't our clear cut best midfielder.

When Shaun was playing at his best, he was the number 1 midfielder. But where does the All Australian version of Shaun Burgoyne sit in comparison to 2004 versions of Francou, Carr and Roger James?
I can't forget how good Francou was,

His kick was so arse, but his handball was top shelf, his evasion through traffic was 2nd to none. The way the game is played today he would be one of the best damn players going around

Damn that injury to his knee.. 😟

Thanks for posting RussellEbertHandball

I'm not sure where I heard or read it but for some reason I thought it was only an extra $20k that got Russell over to Hawthorn. I didn't know Ports came back at him though.

It's also hard to believe only 24 years ago that a premier team in a top tier national comp didn't rate their fitness coach and were paying peanuts.

Compare that to what AC Milan were doing in the late 80s early 90s.

Also interesting to hear about Russell's relationship with Choco. Flat out disagreed with him in the interview, yet Choco hired him rather than looking for a yes man. Still friends to the day.

Although I'm not sure about Choco not being contracted for 2005 on Grand Final day, I don't recall that, but if true, just another glaring difference.
No worries.

This has fired me up a bit and I spoke to a couple of mates about this and went and found some stuff on here I wrote about the post premiership exodus.

Bucky went for GM Footy Ops job at AFL and missed out in 2003 to Adrian Anderson, so he said he would stick around for 12 more months. But because he was going, he didn't commit people to contracts knowing the next CEO had to wear some of his decisions and there was an immediate focus on finally winning the bloody premiership.

And we stuck up the Mission Accomplished sign like George Bush did a couple of months after the start of the 2003 Irag War.

Bucky had stitched up a cushy government job to start after the season ended in 2004 and he didn't get contracts finished. It meant we lost Alan Stewart to the crows. The assistant coaches weren't contracted but thanks to Choco stuck around. Mick Moylan was Footy Ops boss and he didn't get stuff done. Peter Rohde joined us in November 2004 and he had to pick up the pieces.

We lose Andrew Russell who had been with us for 4 years and was the most valuable employee in the footy department outside of head coach and players and we lost him because we wouldn't pay him a few thousand more dollars.

Hardwick was retiring, Carr wanted to go to Freo to play with his brother but we shouldn't have lost Schofield to Freo. Hardwick was lined up to be an assistant coach, I spoke to him during the finals, and he said he was going to stay in Adelaide and finish his commerce degree.

No wonder we fell away. We should have been making hay in 2005 after finally getting the big break thru but it became a real grind.

Then because we had struggled to make a profit even with a flag we shut down the Victorian office a week or two before Christmas 2004 and sacked Chris Pelchen.

So near the bottom club Hawthorn in the space of 3 months got Clarko off us, pinched Russell, pinched Hardwick who was set up to become an assistant at Port, maybe part time, snapped up Pelchen to their handy recruiting team in early 2005. And Clarko went and signed David Rath from the AIS, whom he met at a seminar in Canberra in 2003, paid for by Port, and helped turn Hawthorn into the best kicking side.

Talk about transferring your wealth to another club. Sort of like IBM agreeing to licence an operating system from Microsoft, (which they didn't own at the time, Paul Allen had to go buy it from a colleague for $50k USD ) rather than buy it and transferring half their future wealth to 3 dudes still at college.

Last edited:
No worries.

This has fired me up a bit and I spoke to a couple of mates about this and went and found some stuff on here I wrote about the post premiership exodus.

Bucky went for GM Footy Ops job at AFL and missed out in 2003 to Adrian Anderson, so he said he would stick around for 12 more months. But because he was going, he didn't commit people to contracts knowing the next CEO had to wear some of his decisions and there was an immediate focus on finally winning the bloody premiership.

And we stuck up the Mission Accomplished sign like George Bush did a couple of months after the start of the 2003 Irag War.

Bucky had stitched up a cushy government job to start after the season ended in 2004 and he didn't get contracts finished. It meant we lost Alan Stewart to the crows. The assistant coaches weren't contracted but thanks to Choco stuck around. Mick Moylan was Footy Ops boss and he didn't get stuff done. Peter Rohde joined us in November 2004 and he had to pick up the pieces.

We lose Andrew Russell who had been with us for 4 years and was the most valuable employee in the footy department outside of head coach and players and we lost him because we wouldn't pay him a few thousand more dollars.

Hardwick was retiring, Carr wanted to go to Freo to play with his brother but we shouldn't have lost Schofield to Freo. Hardwick was lined up to be an assistant coach, I spoke to him during the finals, and he said he was going to stay in Adelaide and finish his commerce degree.

No wonder we fell away. We should have been making hay in 2005 after finally getting the big break thru but it became a real grind.

Then because we had struggled to make a profit even with a flag we shut down the Victorian office a week or two before Christmas 2004 and sacked Chris Pelchen.

So near the bottom club Hawthorn in the space of 3 months got Clarko off us, pinched Russell, pinched Hardwick who was set up to become an assistant at Port, maybe part time, snapped up Pelchen to their handy recruiting team in early 2005. And Clarko went and signed David Rath from the AIS, whom he met at a seminar in Canberra in 2003, paid for by Port, and helped turn Hawthorn into the best kicking side.

Talk about transferring your wealth to another club. Sort of like IBM agreeing to licence an operating system from Microsoft, (which they didn't own at the time, Paul Allen had to go buy it for a colleague for $50k USD ) rather than buy it and transferring half their future wealth to 3 dudes still at college.
Clarko never denied it either. Remember Choco talking about Clarko ripping the guts out of Port in an interview on Shaun's 400, Clarko replied by sinking the boat in with "and don't forget we also stole your gameplan"

We haven't really ever locked in a top long-term fitness manager since Russell. Burgess was good but couldn't sit still for more than 5 minutes and when he did, went all mad professor on us. McKeown was good, but didn't last. Stuart Graham appears to have improved us this year, our last quarters this past month have been impressive. But our youth physical development is lagging.

I would like to see us get a decent weights/strength coach who can balance the running needs with the physical contact side of AFL.

We haven't really ever locked in a top long-term fitness manager since Russell. Burgess was good but couldn't sit still for more than 5 minutes and when he did, went all mad professor on us. McKeown was good, but didn't last. Stuart Graham appears to have improved us this year, our last quarters this past month have been impressive. But our youth physical development is lagging.

I would like to see us get a decent weights/strength coach who can balance the running needs with the physical contact side of AFL.
Finals is the test for the current fitness regime, they seemed to make a pointed effort this year to ensure we peaked at finals rather than burnt out trying to get there. The comments about Dixon having a limited pre-season were just one example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals is the test for the current fitness regime, they seemed to make a pointed effort this year to ensure we peaked at finals rather than burnt out trying to get there. The comments about Dixon having a limited pre-season were just one example.
Ken isnt coaching for a new contract this year so we have managed players better during the season.

Re. Darren Smith
Papa Cornes, when he was at the crows really had no time for Darren, due I guess to the Port Adelaide connection and when Darren was selected the crow supporters would turn on him because he would have been taking his place in the side from some Glenelg flog!

Nah my Dad is a lifelong Port man and he and his mates called Darren Smith 'Doreen' don't rewrite history.

me and my mates were all guilty of that back in the day

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back