Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies if it's been raised before but I've just come across this website: https://www.playersfromport.net/ Pretty neat.

Reason it came up is because I kept thinking the name Dylan Moore reminded me of an old Ports player but couldn't place it. It was Jason Dylan. 13 SANFL games and 7 goals.
Little guy but had a huge leap on him.
Didn't go on with it as he probably lacked in other areas.

Ended up at WWT I think.

Did he work at the club for a while? Had a picture on the wall of himself taking a hanger against Freo in a pre-AFL trial game.

Not sure who it was but went Power to the people, Power to the game, Power to Port Adelaide where we got our name.
It was written by John Schumann, he submitted it to the club (I think intended to be used as the club song) but the club didn't want to use it that way because it was too much like a ballad rather than the 'stop, stop, stop 'til we're top, top, top' stuff we ended up with, so he didn't release the song widely.

He later released it as "One True Game" having removed some of the overt Port Adelaide stuff and included neutral language (e.g. changed "Power to the people, and power to the game, Power to Port Adelaide etc etc" to "A hundred thousand voices, and a million shining eyes, this is our country's one true game etc etc"), but it's the same song.

One True Game - John Schumann

Power to the People - John Schumann

Our win/loss numbers to date are a complete furphy! Its not about the numbers, its about the form getting there! Compare our form to Hawthorn's at the moment - It's not a stretch to come to the conclusion that they might actually finish the season with more wins than us. Their form leading up to this point is that much better!

Our forwards look disjointed
& are inconsistent. Our backs are still gelling together, as are our mids. Our team defense is non-existent, and our depth is the same old discards that have failed to kick on, yet Ken keeps going back to that same dry well, time & time again, refusing to play the news boys on the list. On top of that, our game plan has been well-and-truly worked out by the two ex-Port coaches in Nicks & Voss, and is being copied by other teams.

Chris Davies might think we are well set up for the second half of the season, but he is delusional! In reality, we look like a team and club held together with sticky tape! Make no mistake, we have the cattle to compete in finals, but our coaching game plan, selections, and just about everything off-field, is just full of holes!

But hey ... "We are continuing to learn." - K Hinkley
Had a bit of a to-and-fro over this post with Willsy10 a few weeks after our paper-over-the-cracks win against Hawthorn. It stands out so clearly when we are put under pressure in finals.

Interestingly, if Hawthorn beat us next week, and they go in as hot favorites, they will actually finish higher than us on the official season ending AFL ladder.

This was the ladder positions after that game. Their last half of the season has been phenomenal!

1725691097804.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Former Port players Mitch Harvey and Will Snelling in the SANFL TOTY.
2024-Team-of-the-Year-Men.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back