Confirmed Liam Baker - Now a West Coast Eagle

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

I think most would agree with you there. Pick 14 with a pick or 2 each way allowance would be bang on IMO.
I like how all these threads go similar. A few reasonable peeps agree on a value that's pretty close, the thread slows down through the year, we get to September and nuffies from each side start jumping in after being out of finals and start making outrageous threats through the PSD or some other team as an option, I have to ban people and ask everyone to calm down and we go again.

Out of interest, is there any rumour or goss on Baker from Tigs fans?

I like how all these threads go similar. A few reasonable peeps agree on a value that's pretty close, the thread slows down through the year, we get to September and nuffies from each side start jumping in after being out of finals and start making outrageous threats through the PSD or some other team as an option, I have to ban people and ask everyone to calm down and we go again.

rinse and repeat haha

No goss of any substance but fans seems to be warming to the idea that we can and should let him go due to our list having greater needs.

I would suggest he probably wont want to leave but the gap in contract offers will be strategic on our behalf to encourage him to go as long as we can get fair value or ideally overs.

He is a fan fav, we all love him, but he is one of the few players with genuine value that we can afford to lose IMO

Love the guy, one of those players that you appreciate more when he is playing for you. In regard to leaving there has been murmurs but i just thought it was the usual crap however he has put back contract talks till the end of the year, so it is highly possible especially now we are starting to struggle and he is only 26.

I get why Freo fans wouldn't think they need him, but I have no doubt if he did play for you, he would be a fan favourite.

Love the guy, one of those players that you appreciate more when he is playing for you. In regard to leaving there has been murmurs but i just thought it was the usual crap however he has put back contract talks till the end of the year, so it is highly possible especially now we are starting to struggle, and he is only 26.

I get why Freo fans wouldn't think they need him, but I have no doubt if he did play for you, he would be a fan favourite.
Oh yeah, if it's Freo, I apologise for the fans in advance, it's a tough sell to give up the cap and draft pick required for what I'd call an elite role player. He makes us better (makes any team better), no doubt, but he's not exciting.

He's definitely that player that turns around haters 5 minutes into his first quarter in the team though.

Oh yeah, if it's Freo, I apologise for the fans in advance, it's a tough sell to give up the cap and draft pick required for what I'd call an elite role player. He makes us better (makes any team better), no doubt, but he's not exciting.

He's definitely that player that turns around haters 5 minutes into his first quarter in the team though.
His first attack on the ball and winning it, resulting in a Freo goal will get the TNT song pumping. :tearsofjoy:

Also I agree on your views, I dont see how West Coast can come to the party on value for him, he isnt worth a top 1st rounder more late 1st round IMO. Time will tell, salary cap wise he wont be huge $$$ but a lot more than we can offer.

His first attack on the ball and winning it, resulting in a Freo goal will get the TNT song pumping. :tearsofjoy:

Also I agree on your views, I dont see how West Coast can come to the party on value for him, he isnt worth a top 1st rounder more late 1st round IMO. Time will tell, salary cap wise he wont be huge $$$ but a lot more than we can offer.

Can't see how a wooden spoon side with millions in free cap space can come to the party?

Reported today both WA clubs are very interested and will chase him. Lucky player as he will get a longer deal on more money.

Allen out for 8-10 weeks just reported, Eagles will be collecting another spoon.

Will be interesting to see where Richmond finish, 15th to 17th?

IMO Eagles will split either this years 1st or next. That would generate the picks needed. This season Eagles need one of O'Sullivan, Jagga or Draper. Pick 1 for pick 3, Baker and one of those 2nd round picks? Add Draper, Baker and use the 2nd on Busslinger? For pick 1?

Lots of ways for the Eagles to satisfy Richmond and not be pr!cks like Essendon.

And to answer the question why the Eagles would want him, backline transition and a hard nut.

Can't see how a wooden spoon side with millions in free cap space can come to the party?

Reported today both WA clubs are very interested and will chase him. Lucky player as he will get a longer deal on more money.

Allen out for 8-10 weeks just reported, Eagles will be collecting another spoon.

Will be interesting to see where Richmond finish, 15th to 17th?

IMO Eagles will split either this years 1st or next. That would generate the picks needed. This season Eagles need one of O'Sullivan, Jagga or Draper. Pick 1 for pick 3, Baker and one of those 2nd round picks? Add Draper, Baker and use the 2nd on Busslinger? For pick 1?

Lots of ways for the Eagles to satisfy Richmond and not be pr!cks like Essendon.

And to answer the question why the Eagles would want him, backline transition and a hard nut.
I definitely hope you break up pick 1 (with no Allen I assume this is just a lock now) this year though I imagine the offers wont be too flash if it's even at the top end. Still, is a 27 year old worth handing over draft capital for given where WC are at?

Last edited:
My opinion is Richmond are one of the clubs that will be impacted by the Tasmania club entering and compromising the drafts.

Anyone who finished bottom 4 in 2027/2028/2029 will be negatively impacted.

If I'm Richmond (and Geelong for that matter), I'm trying to take 14/15 draft picks in the top 30 across the next three, uncompromised drafts. Load up on kids before the best ones are all taken by Tassie.

If thats the strategy, Baker will be politely asked to take the offer from WCE or Freo, as the pick back will be brilliant for Richmond.

He could be worth the difference between Richmond’s first pick and WCE first pick.

You would think Fremantle would be Baker’s choice if he heads West.
Committed performance from the Dockers on the weekend was impressive.
Definitely finals capable.
The eagles have a long road ahead, Baker would see no more finals action if he chose West Coast …

Pick 1 for another top 10 pick + Baker?

It’s quite a long way out to suggest something like that, but if Richmond has a pick within the top 6-8 and Baker is worth a mid first there is no reason why he couldn’t be a part of a greater deal.

Would have to wait and see on a few things, who is pick 1-3 who else is available in the top 10, are WCE keen to hedge their bets, are Richmond keen to throw all their eggs in one basket.

FWIW I think he’ll head to Freo and none of the above will apply. They have some picks pretty close to his value and will be better in the short-medium term.

Last edited:
Freo have recently targeted WA players and lured them back home with Jordan Clark and Luke Jackson, and they have loaded up with 3 first round picks to do similar again with Baker and probably Logan Mcdonald, so if Baker was to leave they'd probably be the favourites.

But equally Matt Clarke is headed to the eagles and he is the man who drafted Baker in the rookie draft, Baker is also a boyhood eagles fan and if say the eagles land English as FA, English, Allen, Reid, Barrass, Baker, Ginbey and a few others should make them more competitive than the walk overs they have been recently

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think Fremantle would be Baker’s choice if he heads West.
Committed performance from the Dockers on the weekend was impressive.
Definitely finals capable.
The eagles have a long road ahead, Baker would see no more finals action if he chose West Coast …

At 27 what is Baker chasing?

He already has what 2 or 3 flags and wouldn't have been on huge money.

If he wants another flag then Freo.

If he wants to really set himself up post footy then Eagles likely offer more $.

At 27 what is Baker chasing?

He already has what 2 or 3 flags and wouldn't have been on huge money.

If he wants another flag then Freo.

If he wants to really set himself up post footy then Eagles likely offer more $.

Do a young rebuilding Eagles team need one of their highest paid and most experienced players just punching the clock until retirement?

Freo have recently targeted WA players and lured them back home with Jordan Clark and Luke Jackson, and they have loaded up with 3 first round picks to do similar again with Baker and probably Logan Mcdonald, so if Baker was to leave they'd probably be the favourites.

But equally Matt Clarke is headed to the eagles and he is the man who drafted Baker in the rookie draft, Baker is also a boyhood eagles fan and if say the eagles land English as FA, English, Allen, Reid, Barrass, Baker, Ginbey and a few others should make them more competitive than walk overs they have been recently

If the Eagles land Baker and say Jagga Smith (pick 5) and Busslinger (trade) this year.

They will throw a huge offer at Warner in 2025 as a RFA. And retain their 1st pick in 2025.

$3m per year in CBA increases not yet tied to any players. $1.5m for Warner. $1.5 for Harley when needed.

2026 Warner, Ried, Ginbey. Jagga and Hewett are the core of young midfielders.

Do a young rebuilding Eagles team need one of their highest paid and most experienced players just punching the clock until retirement?

Who are they paying that coin to instead?

Must spend 95% of the cap and also has $3m in CBA increases to allocate somewhere.

Easily front end Bakers deal so he isn't an issue in the final years.

Don’t get me wrong, he is a very good player and gives it his all… but it terms of Freo’s needs… don’t they need a KPF ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Liam Baker - Now a West Coast Eagle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back