Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

ANB maybe. Kennedy is in and out of the side/sub and been told to look for another club.
Do I overrate Kennedy? Thought he was still very good and played some very good footy. I had Kennedy as the best player of the 3 regardless of how Carlton treated him

You are massively underrating Baker. That comment is ridiculously delusional.
Is Baker an elite mid that will guide West Coast when they are next challenging? No, so he is 100 per cent not worth downgrading from 3 to 10. He is a very handy utility with good leadership skills, every team needs them, but they are not match winners. West Coast are rebuilding, they need picks 3 and 13 for the foundation of their next finals team, I don't think they are going to hand them over to a team in the same position as us and give them a leg up.

Reckon talk about pick 6 for Rioli has resulted in a general overrating of players' worth on the open market for Richmond fans, particularly one who is out of contract.

You could be right, I may be thinking of 2023.

Either way he's been told to look at his options.
2023 he played nearly all games except those he missed due to his MCL.

2023 he played nearly all games except those he missed due to his MCL.
Thanks. I stand corrected. Had recalled angst on fantasy board about him being in and out.

Still seems he's being treated as unrequired, which now seems odd given he plays every week when available.

Thanks. I stand corrected. Had recalled angst on fantasy board about him being in and out.

Still seems he's being treated as unrequired, which now seems odd given he plays every week when available.
If nothing else, fascinating how quickly we have moved to trading while in contract being the more common outcome. Bakers almost the only best 22 being traded while out of contract (few free agents). This years player movement is crazy.

Leaves west coast with 3 for 10 + 17 roughly. Pretty yuk, remember we are rebuilding too, its not only you guys that need picks. We need elite mids more than anything and we wont get that with pick 10
3 + 23 for 10, 17 + Baker values Baker at 30. The reason I think we would at least discuss it is the evenness of the top end of the draft. Do I think we go for it? No. But some of the players we've spoken about on our board may well be available at 10 and 13, meaning 17 is an upgrade on 23 and we still land Baker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ANB maybe. Kennedy is in and out of the side/sub and been told to look for another club.
Kennedy is a better inside mid than Baker or ANB and can play other roles to some extent. Hes flicked around because the blues are so stacked in the middle not because he sucks

3 + 23 for 10, 17 + Baker values Baker at 30. The reason I think we would at least discuss it is the evenness of the top end of the draft. Do I think we go for it? No. But some of the players we've spoken about on our board may well be available at 10 and 13, meaning 17 is an upgrade on 23 and we still land Baker.
Once probable bid matches happen, it's more like pick 34 value.

Its pick 30 using points, but realistically nobody is trading 3+23 for 10+17+30 in a real trade.
Realistically values Baker as an early to mid teens pick probably, which is far too much

Its pick 30 using points, but realistically nobody is trading 3+23 for 10+17+30 in a real trade.
Realistically values Baker as an early to mid teens pick probably, which is far too much
See this is why trades need to be looked at holistically rather than individually. On its own, it isn't a fantastic trade by any stretch, but if you can go to the draft with three picks before 20 and a decent player, that's not a terrible hand.

Again, I don't think we do that because I'm curious about where we would want our first pick to land, but that suggestion is much better than many I've seen in this thread.

See this is why trades need to be looked at holistically rather than individually. On its own, it isn't a fantastic trade by any stretch, but if you can go to the draft with three picks before 20 and a decent player, that's not a terrible hand.

Again, I don't think we do that because I'm curious about where we would want our first pick to land, but that suggestion is much better than many I've seen in this thread.
Again, valuing trades/players using points is irrelevant, the points system is a load of shit and is only relevant when bidding.

Its only Tigers fans who think 3+23 for 10+17+Baker is fair, and we dont even want it to be fair considering the bloke isnt contracted.
If we value Baker at 23 because thats where the club is at, that means we are swapping 3 for 10+17, thats unders for us.
If the Tigers want pick 3 from us theyll have to pony up a little more

Now if they get pick 12 for Rioli and offer 10+12+Baker for 3+23 then there might be a conversation

Again, valuing trades/players using points is irrelevant, the points system is a load of shit and is only relevant when bidding.

Its only Tigers fans who think 3+23 for 10+17+Baker is fair, and we dont even want it to be fair considering the bloke isnt contracted.
If we value Baker at 23 because thats where the club is at, that means we are swapping 3 for 10+17, thats unders for us.
If the Tigers want pick 3 from us theyll have to pony up a little more

Now if they get pick 12 for Rioli and offer 10+12+Baker for 3+23 then there might be a conversation

You still have time to delete this snot :$

Matt Clarkes comments about wanting to hit the draft hard but also bring in some experienced players suggests they would prefer to maintain the volume of draft picks whilst also bringing in mature talent. Free agency could be part of that, but with Baker sounds like they would be open to pick downgrades.

If 9 or 10 were too much of a drop, maybe Pick 6 becomes the pick thats needed to get this moving.

Say Pick 3 and 23, for Baker, 6 and 39. Values Baker roughly at 23 (I know pick value doesn't mean a lot, just a representation of overall value), but would seem to match what both clubs desires are. Maintains the volume of picks for West Coast and keeps a good top 10 pick. For the Tigers, it upgrades 2 picks (we already have a bunch of picks that either need upgrading or trading into next year.

I think with the evenness of this years draft, those early 2nd round picks (21-25) will become very valuable on draft night 2, and could gain some really good value in trades.

Matt Clarkes comments about wanting to hit the draft hard but also bring in some experienced players suggests they would prefer to maintain the volume of draft picks whilst also bringing in mature talent. Free agency could be part of that, but with Baker sounds like they would be open to pick downgrades.

If 9 or 10 were too much of a drop, maybe Pick 6 becomes the pick thats needed to get this moving.

Say Pick 3 and 23, for Baker, 6 and 39. Values Baker roughly at 23 (I know pick value doesn't mean a lot, just a representation of overall value), but would seem to match what both clubs desires are. Maintains the volume of picks for West Coast and keeps a good top 10 pick. For the Tigers, it upgrades 2 picks (we already have a bunch of picks that either need upgrading or trading into next year.

I think with the evenness of this years draft, those early 2nd round picks (21-25) will become very valuable on draft night 2, and could gain some really good value in trades.
Yeah, 3 into 6 is the only version I can see WC doing and requires a lot of things on both sides to be accepted. You just dont drop any further, regardless of the draft for a Baker. Whether there is a bunch of things going all over the place to make it work is fine but at it's core, I dont see them accepting any further a trade down.

If this values Baker at pick 23, then it makes it 3 for 6+39.

I dont think pick 39 is quite enough, id be looking for a pick in the vicinity of pick 20 at least

3 for 6+Baker wouldve been a better suggestion imo, whether it'd get accepted depends on how the eagles draft board looks

Yeah, 3 into 6 is the only version I can see WC doing and requires a lot of things on both sides to be accepted. You just dont drop any further, regardless of the draft for a Baker. Whether there is a bunch of things going all over the place to make it work is fine but at it's core, I dont see them accepting any further a trade down.
Even then I think they'd only do it if their Intel is solid that they'll still get same player. Not really across who they're keen on but think I'd read fans were keen on Draper. Seems unlikely he would get past Adelaide so if the recruiters want him I don't see them going for it.

If they want Reid (just throwing a name out, don't kill me Eagles fans 😁) and are confident he will be there then it's a no brainer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back