Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Sounds like a lot of you mob don't really want Baker?
It's not that we don't want him, a lot of us feel we'd be better off using our draft hand at the draft instead of bringing someone who will be 27 when he plays his first game for us.

He'd be nice to have I personally don't want to use Pick 13 or 23 on him. That's not to say he's not worth those picks, but I would rather those picks be used at the draft.

He's a want, not a need.

ship GIF
No ship Sherlock.
Richmond duds floating back the other way!!
That's my point

Why do they all wanna leave Richmond
Bolton
Rioli
Baker
Graham

Because we are the start of a rebuild with a guy leading us who we don't know if he can coach yet, with a list of players we don't know if are good enough yet and the external lure on these players is pretty strong. Each one of those guys in isolation you totally get why they would want to go but having all in one year it looks like an mass exodus.

Biggest sliding doors right now is if Mini took over and we didn't have the injury crisis, we might have just missed the 8 and some of these guys may well have been keen to stick around. Even so, we would still probably have Hardwick trying to cherry pick anyone still loyal to him.

Because we are the start of a rebuild with a guy leading us who we don't know if he can coach yet, with a list of players we don't know if are good enough yet and the external lure on these players is pretty strong. Each one of those guys in isolation you totally get why they would want to go but having all in one year it looks like an mass exodus.

Biggest sliding doors right now is if Mini took over and we didn't have the injury crisis, we might have just missed the 8 and some of these guys may well have been keen to stick around. Even so, we would still probably have Hardwick trying to cherry pick anyone still loyal to him.
Your guy beat Mcqualter to the job......
Just saying

Bro. You're over-rating draft picks. Liam Duggan was taken at pick 11.

Teams have gotten better at identifying AFL traits, but it's still a bit of a lottery at the end of the day. You've got Essendon taking duds like Tsatas at pick 5. There's no guarantee whoever gets taken at pick 13 will be a quality AFL player. Baker is. Duggan is. It's pretty simple.

I'd imagine with the trades/free agents West Coast bring in, they won't be flush for list spots.

Baker and 41 for 13 and 59 is a possibility. That 41 will come in a lot with bids, etc.
And if Baker was 23, I'd agree with you. But he's 27 next season. Pick 13 still holds far more value for a team that is attempting to put the core of a team together to contend in some years' time.

Your guy beat Mcqualter to the job......
Just saying

It probably worked against McQualter to be homegrown and too connected to the players. I reckon clubs don't love the optics of having a caretaker be the one to be appointed as it makes it appear as though they are being preferential. How can you have a fresh start/new era when you have someone at the helm who has all these pre-existing relationships.

McQualter might run into all the same problems though as Yze so you never know, maybe both of them are duds?

this has less to do with baker and everything to do with where we are as a list. the reasons tigers supporters are frothing at the possibility of incoming picks are the same as why eagles fans are playing down baker. we're both in a rebuild and need as much draft talent as possible. i'm fine with picking up baker as long as it doesn't hurt our draft hand. so nothing in the top 20.

Sounds like a lot of you mob don't really want Baker?
It's not that we don't want Baker as he's a good player. You'd find that the vast majority of us do want him however;

1. He's uncontracted
2. Wants to head back to his home state
3. He has picked his one side that he wants to go to next year
4. That side sits below the other side he wants to only play for so they can't pinch him via the draft
5. He's 27 and unlikely going to be a serious contributor when we're contenders again
6. We're trying to rebuild with limited draft picks
7. The Tigers have no leverage whatsoever

It's just the price getting floated around that we have an issue with. If we were in the finals and wanting to win a premiership right away, we'd be happy to give up a high pick for him.

Any pick sub 20 for Baker is way too much. I'm sick of my club continually getting rolled over come the trade period. We need to be bringing young talent IN, not trading it away. This is the kind of crap the Dockers would've done in their first 10 years in the league.

Think you’ve sold us short here…

I’d say it was way longer than just the first 10 years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that we don't want Baker as he's a good player. You'd find that the vast majority of us do want him however;

1. He's uncontracted
2. Wants to head back to his home state
3. He has picked his one side that he wants to go to next year
4. That side sits below the other side he wants to only play for so they can't pinch him via the draft
5. He's 27 and unlikely going to be a serious contributor when we're contenders again
6. We're trying to rebuild with limited draft picks
7. The Tigers have no leverage whatsoever

It's just the price getting floated around that we have an issue with. If we were in the finals and wanting to win a premiership right away, we'd be happy to give up a high pick for him.
West Coast won’t play any games here. They will pay fair price and get a good player.

Likelihood is we will be bottom again next year and if they play funny buggers now, we just try to woo an uncontracted player back on the cheap with the threat of the PSD.

It won’t happen, because the trade will be done in good faith this year.

Baker is rookie draft level talent, 3 ft farmer good at "chaos ball" because he cant hit a target. Has his soul poisoned at Richmond, with the lattes, and the wife cheater coach, and wants to come back for a retirement gig. If we get this guy the club is totally finished not just a few year failure.

I’m now hearing it could be a swap of first rd picks for baker.
Pick 3 for baker and pick 18.
It's unders for sure, but you can't do much as he is OOC...
Maybe I'm out of touch, but how is Baker worth anything remotely close to pick 13?
He picked West Coast, that's enough for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker [reportedly headed west]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back