Liam Jurrah found not guilty

Remove this Banner Ad

Not going to jail is worse than going to jail? If Krakouer can get back from spending time in jail, Jurrah can return to the AFL, regardless of his background. It should be with Port, so I hope he reconsiders playing for the Port Magpies in the SANFL.
Jurrah has a plan for his return to top-level football that will take him from his Outback community team, through Darwin and back to Melbourne - if not in the red and blue colours, then at least nearby so he can have the support of his Aboriginal brothers.
"With my trouble that I got into, my Aboriginal brothers and the Melbourne Football Club were very helpful," he said.
"I'd love to thank those brothers - Aaron Davey, Matthew Whelan, Austin Wonaeamirri, Jamie Bennell and Neville Jetta, they are all good friends ... and (Mark) Jamar and Jordy McKenzie."
Jurrah said being disconnected from that group was the single biggest trigger for his fall from AFL star to spending nights on the streets of Adelaide's northern suburbs and days in the city's south parklands and with family members from his Yuendumu clan. "Since I lost my phone in September ... everything went bad," he said.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...m-of-playing-afl/story-e6frecjc-1226578908840

Seems like he wants to play for Melbourne if possible, and if not, in Melbourne. Doubt he will ever be back though.

We'd take him back as supporters in a heartbeat. Not sure about Neeld.

Think the changes may be good for him though.

Seriously? Have you been following the story? The prosecution's evidence had more holes than swiss cheese.

Indeed - There was no way in hell you could safely convict him - Didn't it all happen at night or at least very poor light. Very difficult to pull a specific conviction out of such a melee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fom what I've read, the witness statements were unreliable due to booze consumption and it was dark, I have no idea if he actually did it and will not judge but hard to prosecute on that alone.

That and the fact that basically every witness had motive to lie. The whole case was a mess. The police didn't even set up a crime scene after the incident. In any case there was no chance Basil Jurrah was hit by a machete by anyone, if he was attacked with a machete he'd be in a far worse state, the guy got six stiches.

We'd take him back as supporters in a heartbeat. Not sure about Neeld.

Think the changes may be good for him though.
Neeld was very sympathetic for Jurrah during this period. Was pretty distressed by the stories of what happened in his homeland. I reckon he'd have him back.

The basic legal concept is that you are innocent unless found guilty. When you are not found guilty, you retain that innocence. As is the case here.

Move along.

Basically this. No one is 'found innocent' and proof of innocence is rare and unnecessary when it comes to this stage in the courtroom.

No doubt he will now go back to being an ex Melbourne player in the Crowtiser.
On the other hand, had he been found guilty ...
Pissantville.

All the best to Jurrah and by the sounds of it he will try to go back to Melbourne as living in Adelaide doesn't seem to have worked out as well as he had hoped.

There is a big difference between not guilty and innocent people.

You don't need to have proof of your innocence.
The assumption is that you are innocent until someone can prove you're guilty.
Being found not guilty means that you retain your previous status of innocent.

Rumours, scuttlebutt, public opinion and conjecture do not change this.

There is a big difference between not guilty and innocent people.

Yeah, big difference.

One is an actual legal finding used in court, and the other isn't. Ever heard of a jury finding a person "innocent"?

I'd have him back - let him play at Casey this year.

Not sure he'd be able to play at casey this season. Could certainly train with the club if he wanted to though.

You don't need to have proof of your innocence.
The assumption is that you are innocent until someone can prove you're guilty.
Being found not guilty means that you retain your previous status of innocent.

Rumours, scuttlebutt, public opinion and conjecture do not change this.
Remind me did this innocence save Lovett from being sacked, did this innocence save Cousins from being deregistered, did this innocence save Fevola from being sacked. Everyone of them was later found to be innocent, but were charged with various offences ranging from rape to exposing themselves. All found not guilty( some not even charged) and all had contributed significantly more than this piece of work Jurrah.

Where did innocent until proven guilty get these blokes.

So what's the difference between them........

Sorry people Jurrah belongs outside of the AFL not in it ( as does that piece of work in mifsud).

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Jurrah found not guilty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back