Speculation Liam Ryan [RFA 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cursedsword02

All Australian
Mar 14, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Apparently Gettable mentioned that clubs see Liam Ryan as, well, gettable and WC are considering it.

The question is does he want to leave the club, let alone Perth?

Few articles in last week saying that other clubs are chasing his signature. Its believed last year both Brisbane Lions and Hawthorn had talks with Ryan that went nowhere. Its now reported that clubs are enquiring again

I imagine Ryan would want a 4 or 5 year deal to leave. Apart from Brisbane/Hawks id suggest Fremantle and Carlton would have big interest.

Id say his worth is that pick 15-20 range in that the clubs who will want him will be premiership contenders and that is where the 1st rounder will lie. A direct swap of Ryan for Brisbane/Carlton/Freos 1st rounder would be the easy enough move, but that would all depend on if Liam Ryan wants it, maybe moreso then Eagles who would feel comfortable in our forward options still

There aren’t many clubs he wouldn’t be a great fit for.

If he wants to move to Vic, the Blues, Saints and Bombers would be foolish to not make a move. He’d also complete the Bulldogs’ forward line.

The Hawks were keen 12 months ago but that was long before they knew they could land Ginnivan. Think they’ll be too tied up in their defensive targets to also move on Ryan. The Lions have had Lohmann break out and will welcome McCarthy back. Not the best fit IMO.

Port should be interested as they really only have Rioli and DBJ as mature small forwards on their list. And it’d be unreal to see a big name cross from West Coast to Freo or vice versa. I’d argue he’s a better fit than Bolton factoring in the costs involved.

He fits a positional need for North, we'd have the budget available, and in terms of his value, our second rounder will be just about perfect imo.

Gives us a few years to develop a young small forward.

Tho I'm not sure how interested he'd be in joining a small Melbourne club in the bottom echelon of the ladder.

There aren’t many clubs he wouldn’t be a great fit for.

If he wants to move to Vic, the Blues, Saints and Bombers would be foolish to not make a move. He’d also complete the Bulldogs’ forward line.

The Hawks were keen 12 months ago but that was long before they knew they could land Ginnivan. Think they’ll be too tied up in their defensive targets to also move on Ryan. The Lions have had Lohmann break out and will welcome McCarthy back. Not the best fit IMO.

Port should be interested as they really only have Rioli and DBJ as mature small forwards on their list. And it’d be unreal to see a big name cross from West Coast to Freo or vice versa. I’d argue he’s a better fit than Bolton factoring in the costs involved.
He is actually the last thing we need now and wouldn't "complete" our forward lien,

He is medium marking player we have Weightman plus play 3 talls we need small quick crumbing pressure forwards,

He would be perfect fit at the Blues as an extra genuine target next to Curnow/McKay

Would love him at Sydney, him opposite Papley would be ideal, whether we do is another thing but we do have 1 first and an end of first PP (Dylan Stephens trade) plus our future 1.

He fits a positional need for North, we'd have the budget available, and in terms of his value, our second rounder will be just about perfect imo.

Gives us a few years to develop a young small forward.

Tho I'm not sure how interested he'd be in joining a small Melbourne club in the bottom echelon of the ladder.
Are you suggesting we trade a contracted Liam Ryan for a pick that will end up the late 20s ? downloadfile.gif

What would eagles fans thoughts be on a Liam Ryan for Erasmus trade?

Erasmus is 20 years old, drafted pick 10, consistently the best player for Peel, but is struggling to crack an inside mid role over Serong, Brayshaw, Young and Fyfe. Erasmus is also a Perth boy.

I think the hope and there has been some mail it’s GC. Even better value if we pay some of his salary. Picks mean less to them currently than most other teams.

Not sure he'd still be in the first round bracket in terms of value after his rotten run with injuries lately. Think somewhere around 25-30 be closer to right now.

Blues could do with a player like him but with Martin being such a let down with his body I think we'd have our reservations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erasmus is 20 years old, drafted pick 10, consistently the best player for Peel, but is struggling to crack an inside mid role over Serong, Brayshaw, Young and Fyfe. Erasmus is also a Perth boy.
Nah you picked him to screw with us and it backfired .

Not sure he'd still be in the first round bracket in terms of value after his rotten run with injuries lately. Think somewhere around 25-30 be closer to right now.

Blues could do with a player like him but with Martin being such a let down with his body I think we'd have our reservations
Why would we even bother trading him for that . The likely chance of drafting a player at that range that plays 100 games is small . Drafting a player of Ryan's quality is even smaller .

Recon we just keep him at that price even with his injuries

Why would we even bother trading him for that . The likely chance of drafting a player at that range that plays 100 games is small . Drafting a player of Ryan's quality is even smaller .

Recon we just keep him at that price even with his injuries
Possibly not, but realistically he's copped it with injuries the last few years and thus his value will have dropped. When was his last genuinely good season?

Possibly not, but realistically he's copped it with injuries the last few years and thus his value will have dropped. When was his last genuinely good season?
Teams go for contracted players knowing roughly what the trade price will be if they can get them to agree. Not sure many teams would think pick 30 could get it done….

As Tom Morris said Eagles will ask for a Premium Trade compensation. I personally don’t think a pick in the mid 20s is premium.

Last edited:

Maybe if the Eagles recruiters still rate him. They will need some ready made players if they are going to trade out some of these older players. Imo would need to be a pick swap as well. Hard to predict the pick swap because they could end up anywhere at this stage.

Ryan and Bolton in the forward line would be great fits.

When is the last time he had a decent season due to injury or form. He's 28 next year as well so I'm not sure he's going to have less injury worries.

Is he really worth much at all?
Yes. People were offering Will Hayward 900k a year and well Ryans a better footballer so i think the market is strong for his style of forward.

Hes worth significantly more than pick 25 to us

When is the last time he had a decent season due to injury or form. He's 28 next year as well so I'm not sure he's going to have less injury worries.

Is he really worth much at all?
Hes worth at least a similar valued pick as Schulz got.

Id demand a bit more as hes a great mentor to the young indigenous boys we have. Roughly pick 15 value to be worth losing

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Ryan [RFA 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back