Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as Lidia discussion is cropping up across multiple threads, let's have us a thread for people who want to discuss her contribution to Australian politics.

It should go without saying but seeing as she's a bit of a beacon for controversy - for a variety of reasons - let's just remind ourselves what the board rules are around racism and sexism, shall we?
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:
  • is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • misinformation or disinformation,
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,
  • is spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others.
Standard board rules apply, but let's make this abundantly clear: let's play nicely in here.

Go nuts.

Given about half the parliament are republicans the oath is pretty irrelevant. Don’t they have to swear on a bible as well?
No they can just make a promise. Pinky swear I think.

(Or it has an official name. What do I know?)

She is an angry person.
I'd argue the hard right on the Senate hoping the make-up of the chamber changes at the next election and they end up with the balance of power represent a far more malignant danger. Imaging having to negotiate with Hanson again or Ralph Babet just to get legislation passed.

Do you have a practical idea to the solution other than “it’s their land, it’s stolen, give it back”?
This and other questions like this are specificity traps.

Non-experts like us won't have these plans - how could we? These sorts of frameworks and plans are the remit of legal experts and the people directly involved.

Any specific ideas we have would likely be the subject of more and more questions asking for specifics. Each of those specifics get picked apart as lacking.

My main thought on this is fairness. Justice.

The answer to these issues isn't to kick the can down the road, expecting our children and grand children to deal with it.

According to the wiki

Here we see that Ms Thorpe saying she pledged allegiance to the Monarch and their 'hairs' instead of 'heirs', meaning she hasn't pledged allegiance to those who follow the Monarch. Bit of some funny. Some yuks to be had.

I like Lyds:)
Al that we've seen from this side-show is that she is actually weak as p155. Talked a big game that she deliberately fudged the taking of the oath to look like some kind of "stick it to the man" hero... Then backtracked almost immediately when she realised that it may have actually impacted on her (though highly unlikely given she signed a document with the correct wording).

About as tough as a wet paper bag she is....

Al that we've seen from this side-show is that she is actually weak as p155. Talked a big game that she deliberately fudged the taking of the oath to look like some kind of "stick it to the man" hero... Then backtracked almost immediately when she realised that it may have actually impacted on her (though highly unlikely given she signed a document with the correct wording).

Well, she's trapped by the current political structure there, isn't she? She can't owe her allegiance to the People of Australia to sit in its Parliament or Senate, but must owe it to someone who doesn't even live here!

Well, she's trapped by the current political structure there, isn't she? She can't owe her allegiance to the People of Australia to sit in its Parliament or Senate, but must owe it to someone who doesn't even live here!
That's all well and good, and she is welcome to disagree with it (which I do, it's an archaic system, the sooner we are rid of the monarchy the better).

But she came in all guns blazing saying "screw the monarchy, I didn't even really pledge allegiance to you". Then ran away like a scolded child when somebody pointed out that if that was the case she may not be allowed to continue in the parliament.

If she actually had some conviction on this matter she should be sticking to her guns and copping whatever the ramifications might be. Instead she's all over breakfast TV trying to renege on her statement.

In saying that, it's absolutely pitiful that the LNP are going after her about it... Nobody actually gives a toss about it anyway.

weak as piss? i'm trying to understand how someone who hides behind an alias on a footy forum could seriously dare to call someone who took on calling out the monarchy and colonisation face to face "weak as piss" i know I have an alias too but its not me calling people "weak as piss". Though I'm tempted!

She's a bit of an embarrassment and I'm not sure if she's really helping anyone.
she's not and she is. She's shining a torch on the truths that people either deny or look away from. Much easier to say she's an embarrassment or bonkers than to address what she is saying. Denying that colonists committed genocide and rejecting the idea of a treaty is 10 times worse than anything Thorpe has done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

weak as piss? i'm trying to understand how someone who hides behind an alias on a footy forum could seriously dare to call someone who took on calling out the monarchy and colonisation face to face "weak as piss" i know I have an alias too but its not me calling people "weak as piss". Though I'm tempted!
I made absolutely no reference to what she said to the King. I was talking about the claim that she deliberately mis-quoted the oath of allegiance, which she very quickly walked away from when the heat came.

I don't think what she said to the King was weak as piss. I don't think it was overly productive in achieving anything, but it had nothing to do with my post.

No concerns with her outburst at Charles, but the comments re heirs/hairs is real dumb and could bring her undone. The fact she's trying to walk it back and is claiming that she just had bad pronunciation, when she was gleefully boasting about it yesterday, is a clear sign she realises she's done goofed.
I read somewhere that she did an affirmation as well as the pledge, so she should be fine.

This and other questions like this are specificity traps.

Non-experts like us won't have these plans - how could we? These sorts of frameworks and plans are the remit of legal experts and the people directly involved.

Any specific ideas we have would likely be the subject of more and more questions asking for specifics. Each of those specifics get picked apart as lacking.

My main thought on this is fairness. Justice.

The answer to these issues isn't to kick the can down the road, expecting our children and grand children to deal with it.

Asking for specifics is not a trap, it's an essential part of resolving and discussing the issue. It's how discussion points like this gain traction, by public discourse like this. If we avoid discussing the specifics because they are challenging or because they will be scrutinized, we won’t be able to develop any practical, realistic solutions.

Whilst issues like this may require legal or direct political involvement, it doesn’t mean non-experts like us can’t engage in a practical conversation about possible outcomes or the implications of proposed solutions.

Broad philosophical approaches don't address the realities of some issues.

If we avoid discussing the specifics because they are challenging or because they will be scrutinized, we won’t be able to develop any practical solutions. If we genuinely want to resolve this issue for our kids or grandkids, it’s necessary to have these hard conversations now, or we are, actually, kicking the can down the road by refusing to engage in the realities of the situation.

No fan of Thorpe or any politician who stands for one party on a platform to get elected under their collective banner and then walks away not soon after. Not forgetting that she is not even half way through her 6 year Senate term and is not up for election at the next Federal election. The role she played in codling up to the Dutton conservatives to help defeat the Voice Referendum was a bloody disgrace.

No surprises that Dutton's mob and the conservative press have turned on Ms Thorpe at the first chance they had of gaining some political traction from it. Although it has to be said they are not alone in this with plenty on Albo's benches wanting to strike back at Thorpe as well. But however it might play out domestically I think Albanese is smart enough to know that the best response here is to just move on. Thorpe will remain a PITA in for the next 3 and a half years so why give her more attention than she deserves.

Especially as, as others have said, the hypocrisy in taking action against Thorpe would be much bigger news globally than Thorpe's comments themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back