Preview Likely retirees 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Calls that Hawkins played a year too many are having a laugh.

He would still be a walk up best 22 player for every team.

People are soooo quick to forget.

Geelong won their first 6 games and were flying, included in those wins were vs Brisbane, Dogs and Carlton, no one was calling for Hawkins' head.

Then they lost 4 out of the next 5, people are chatting. They are giving up some big scores, nothing to do with Hawkins.

If Geelong had a midfield that could get it in to Hawkins quick enough, no one would be talking about him, he's still a beast with an awesome set shot routine and I'd personally still rather him right now over most other full forwards.

Give us Hawkins over Billy Frampton
Very Funny Reaction GIF

Love ya Bill
wut

“Recency bias”

Tom was winning flags before Jack even got close to finals.

A lot of people have always rated Tom over Jack. His forward ruck craft that he developed & perfected over the past 4-5 years only added to his game.
When Jack was winning Coleman's no one was rating Hawkins over him.

“Recency bias”

Tom was winning flags before Jack even got close to finals.

A lot of people have always rated Tom over Jack. His forward ruck craft that he developed & perfected over the past 4-5 years only added to his game.

I mean... Riewoldt played most games for a Richmond side that finished pretty close to finals in 2008 (9th, half a game out of the 8), which is before Hawkins won any flags?

That’s the difference between the two.

Jack was ok stopping just short of 350 games and 800 goals for the benefit of the club.

Hawkins shamelessly played on for himself and is now a complete liability.
Wish now Jack stayed on for 350 games and maybe 800 goals, would bring a little light moment in a dark year. Plus he would have played with Dusty on his 300th.

I think Hawkins and Geelong know when he’s time is up, and the way things are going this year for the Cats then maybe a record or two can put some bright light into the season.
They are still in finals contention and who knows maybe Hawkins will rip it up in the Finals like KB did for the Tigers in 1980.

Hawkins having much worse year than Jack Riewoldt who everyone last year was saying played on 1 year too many & in actual reality was a good contributor last year.

You love to see it too because a lot of people were starting to rate Hawkins over Jack recency bias.
Hawkins has played 12 games this season. These are the stats for both Hawkins and Riewoldt after playing 12 games:

Games: 12Jack RiewoldtTom Hawkins
Goals2315
Goals Average1.91.2
1+ Goals in a Game97
2+ Goals in a Game74
3+ Goals in a Game32
4+ Goals in a Game32
5+ Goals in a Game10
Goalless Games35
Possessions113109
Possessions Average9.49
Total Marks5435
Total Marks Average4.52.9
Contested Marks2212
Contested Marks Average1.81
Marks Inside 503122
Marks Inside 50 Average2.51.8
Tackles2719
Tackles Average2.21.5
Goal Assists55
Goal Assists Average0.40.4
One Percenters 2516
One Percenters Average21.3

Been very quiet on this front so far but Sam Reid has retired

Been very quiet on this front so far but Sam Reid has retired
People have forgotten about him since he hasn't played since the GF loss to Cats 21 months ago.

Pity, he could've been a very handy player if not for constant injuries. 8 of his 14 seasons he played 10 games or less.

I suspect Keath calls it a day, 32 with a history of soft tissue injuries and now has another body in front of him from playing back for the Bulldogs. Probably a soft retirement where he gets delisted and puts his hand up but doesn't get a second chance.
I expected Duryea to call it a day as well but he's tracking very well and is playing like when he first came in.

Hawkins is the obvious one.
He could be a wildcard for the cats come finals time if he can draw on his enormous talent from years gone past.

But from what he’s put up this year, he could also be a liability as he seems to have lost his ability to hold his ground and take the marks inside 50 that he used to convert so regularly.

Coach Scott is a massive fan still and I think he backs him in.

Looking at the 32+ year olds this year and can’t recall a worse list of players in that age demographic

What’s the norm on retirees by number? Reckon there would have to be a lot this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brandon Ellis has retired effective immediately

Should only be Gaff from WCE…unless he is determined to try his chances of getting picked up elsewhere.

Sheed and Darling both have 2025 contracts and I doubt they push either out the door (Sheed for midfield depth, Jack coming off a BOG shows he can still go…occasionally).

Maybe Cripps? His form has been very shaky since mid season - I would give him the tap but he’s got another year also.

Should only be Gaff from WCE…unless he is determined to try his chances of getting picked up elsewhere.

Sheed and Darling both have 2025 contracts and I doubt they push either out the door (Sheed for midfield depth, Jack coming off a BOG shows he can still go…occasionally).

Maybe Cripps? His form has been very shaky since mid season - I would give him the tap but he’s got another year also.
Unbelievable decline Gaff. The punch , missing the flag, sad to see. Gun when on song.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Likely retirees 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back