Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Next week really is make or break for our season. If we win we get some confidence back heading into the Sydney game, if we lose we then have Sydney who have been one of our bogey teams for a long time and tend to have our number and we will be devoid of any confidence.

Next week really is make or break for our season. If we win we get some confidence back heading into the Sydney game, if we lose we then have Sydney who have been one of our bogey teams for a long time and tend to have our number and we will be devoid of any confidence.
The one thing the Suns have shown every game, which we have not, is intensity and effort for the full game.

If the Suns beat us, it will purely be because they wanted it more.

John Ralph reporting on Fox that Stef Martin and Dan McStay have respectively started contract negotiations with the club to extend their tenure at the club.

Here's a link to the story: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/1cefb6f1167c7f09d79c6424874fefb2

Relevant to us:

Brisbane once had players leaving in droves.
Now they are locked and loaded with talent, as they move to secure key forward Dan McStay and ruckman Stef Martin beyond this year.

All the Lions star kids are locked away past 2019, with rivals likely to consider Lewis Taylor if he can’t get back into the team given his brilliant NEAFL numbers.

Talks have started with McStay and Martin and should prove little problem, with their seven-year ruckman at times in his career keen to move back to Melbourne but now happy in Queensland.

The Lions have a heap of cap space and are cheering against Collingwood and Gold Coast because they traded their first-rounder but have the Suns’ second-rounder.

Luring players north was once a challenge but they hope recent history shows they are a destination club.

This bit about Oscar is a bit OTT lol:

Brisbane’s genius move was signing 205cm forward Oscar McInerney until 2021 last year, with a player still officially on the rookie list set to be one of the league’s most hyped players if he can continue his trajectory.

He is already such a cult hero after a match-winning cameo against the Roos and a match-winning mark and goal against Port Adelaide.

So much so that the Lions have sold out of his jumper number and club badge for a player who they believe can replicate Mason Cox’s deeds as a 200-plus centimetre forward.

Negotiations in progress but nothing about Mitch. Start to wonder if he is valued at all.

I don't buy the he plays better if we keep him wondering. That's the bullshit you do to keep toddlers in line. He might have screwed up in the past but blind Freddy can see he has matured past the point of needing a stick and carrot approach.

Sheesh.

Negotiations in progress but nothing about Mitch. Start to wonder if he is valued at all.

I don't buy the he plays better if we keep him wondering. That's the bullshit you do to keep toddlers in line. He might have screwed up in the past but blind Freddy can see he has matured past the point of needing a stick and carrot approach.

Sheesh.

How do you rate his game last night?

How do you rate his game last night?

Haven't rewatched the game yet and I was a bit too caught up in the emotion last night to come away with clear thoughts.

Having said that, I thought he went ok - better than last week anyway. He applied pressure defensively, not sure on the tackle count but he would have been one of better last night. not sure I like him on the wing as much as in the clearances - I think his brand of tough footy is more effective when he is in amongst it.

The guy isn't the fanciest player we have, and isn't going to be the most highly paid. there are others with better skills, fewer changers and better long term capacity but he does add an intensity that we desperately need and that the younger players need to develop. He provides a role model for that and I believe the young players definitely learn from him on field.

Even in the heat of the last two games no one is calling for him to be dropped. We're a tough bunch here on players performance so that's gotta be a good reference for him.

Haven't rewatched the game yet and I was a bit too caught up in the emotion last night to come away with clear thoughts.

Having said that, I thought he went ok - better than last week anyway. He applied pressure defensively, not sure on the tackle count but he would have been one of better last night. not sure I like him on the wing as much as in the clearances - I think his brand of tough footy is more effective when he is in amongst it.

The guy isn't the fanciest player we have, and isn't going to be the most highly paid. there are others with better skills, fewer changers and better long term capacity but he does add an intensity that we desperately need and that the younger players need to develop. He provides a role model for that and I believe the young players definitely learn from him on field.

Even in the heat of the last two games no one is calling for him to be dropped. We're a tough bunch here on players performance so that's gotta be a good reference for him.

We seem hesitant to play him in an inside role which is his main strength. Either that or tagging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seem hesitant to play him in an inside role which is his main strength. Either that or tagging.

Seems a bit like he’s on the outer, even though he’s playing every week. Maybe his full on personality (that I like) isn’t a tick in the plus side???? Who knows, just seems odd that a best 22 player isn’t even in talks.

Unless his one year contact has an automatic renewal if he meets certain targets. Though you’d think we’d have heard about that.

The description above sounds could also apply to Martin Pike in the early naughties.

A succession of one year contracts on not that big a coin compared to his teammates, but consistently offering more than most too.

The description above sounds could also apply to Martin Pike in the early naughties.

A succession of one year contracts on not that big a coin compared to his teammates, but consistently offering more than most too.

It’s called politics isn’t it? And anything that can be described as politics generally sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back