Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great initiative by the club.

As a bit of an aside, I have a grandson playing in Morningside under 10's and I was there this morning(Saturday) as a spectator for their game against the Wynnum "Asgards"

At half time, I saw a familiar looking face going out to have a chat with the boys (and one girl) from both sides......Witho from the Brisbane Lions!!.

He did the same at 3/4 time and spent the second half as an interested spectator behind the goals at one end.

Then came back out at full time to congratulate both teams. So I was kind of just standing around in the middle and wished him luck for tonight as well as mentioning that I am "loony Lions" and would be there tonight screaming my head off and carrying on like a pork chop like I have been for the last 25 years.

He's a really nice young bloke, very polite and easy to talk to.

No Lions gear on at all......just seemed to be there of his own volition outside of this publicized Sunday gig.

Anyway,I'm impressed at the calibre of young men we appear to have at our great club.

Also impressed that he promised me the boys would bust their gut to try to get ME a win.

Life is good as a Lions fan :)

Last edited:
So using the assuming we keep winning / aiming to maximise our final position rather than aiming for keeping ourselves in the eight ...

Guessing we are barracking this week for
- Port over Tigers (not happening by the looks of it)
- Giants over Pies
- Hawks over Cats
- Demons over Eagles

with the other results not germane
I reckon just let Cats finish top

Compare Cheap Flights to Melbourne, Australia
Don't spend more than you need to for your trip to Melbourne. Browse Webjet's latest deals and find a flight that won't break your holiday budget.

We should be close to premiership favourites at the moment.

I still doubt we'll make the prelims but on form we would be favourites.

We should be close to premiership favourites at the moment.

I still doubt we'll make the prelims but on form we would be favourites.
firefox_2019-07-21_08-50-12.png

Yup. The only reason Squiggle doesn't have us winning the flag at the moment is that that would be at the MCG.

At what stage does it become pretty serious about booking a flight for grand final week?

Not talking about likelyhood of us making it, but I mean ensuring that you can actually get a bloody flight, and at a fair price? Is it safe to wait another month or just go now?

At what stage does it become pretty serious about booking a flight for grand final week?

Not talking about likelyhood of us making it, but I mean ensuring that you can actually get a bloody flight, and at a fair price? Is it safe to wait another month or just go now?
Depends on how much you're willing to write off I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more about when to pull the trigger... are the prices likely to be much different in 3 weeks?
It's tricky to tell - basically as the cheapest seats go you start ramping up quite quickly. Looks like there's a heap still around the $300-350 mark so you're probably good for the moment but if some of them start jumping to $400+ it's probably time to start booking.

Don’t be a wuss, it’s on 18-20 hour drive to Melbourne. Did it for the 2001 & 2002 grand finals

Top 2 finish minimum. A Quali and a prelim at Gabba would put us a with a big chance at Granny.

Our coach aside from being a lovable father figure is also a cool dude. 🆒 :cool:

Putting pressure on HQ as well, Shrewd Fagey!

Someone mentioned how much percentage could come down to finishing certain positions. Looking at the ladder (in simple terms using points as a line), our points differential over the Eagles is 28 points (Brisbane (+200 points), West Coast (+172 points). Assuming of course that us and West Coast win the same amount of games in the run home, percentage really could be the difference between an armchair ride (again assuming one was to win two finals at home) to a direct entry into the GF. The Gold Coast game will be key to racking up a romping win.

Do you reckon if I fly up to Brisbane on my own dime for the week before, I'll be covered by bato for the leg back to Melbourne? :p

Can’t see why not - what a great week for you. Rest up in wonderful September weather on the beaches and in the hinterlands then heading back to Melbourne in peak condition for the gf. If you ask nicely we hospitable, friendly Queenslanders might even find a few couches for you to crash on. All for an $99 one way flight.

Don’t be a wuss, it’s on 18-20 hour drive to Melbourne. Did it for the 2001 & 2002 grand finals

That's my tentative plan if anything eventuates. Cancellable motel on a train line. Take the Friday off to get down, come back on the Sunday.

Of course I'd be leaving from Sydney so it's a hell of a lot easier. :D

I'm still worried about finishing 4th (and the Tigers finishing 5th) then after we lose the first final probably losing the second to the Tigers.

Would much rather finish 3rd and possibly play GWS in the second week or finish 5th and at least win a final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back